Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

JVC BR-S822U on ebay smart purchase?

Hello all,

I'm looking for a pro-level vhs deck with balanced audio I/O for hifi analog mastering of some home recordings. I'm looking for a deal, of course, and stumbled on this listing on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130846611459...84.m1423.l2649

The listing says that the deck plays, fast forwards and rewinds perfectly fine, but give an error code, "IE" when attempting to record. It also says the testers used standard VHS tape, and it is an S-VHS recorder. Any way that was the only problem? anyone familiar with the error code?

Thanks!

jeff
Old 02-14-2013, 01:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

What is interesting is that the deck has component video on the back. IE could be something like "Input Error", but without a manual, who knows. I'm thinking it might be able to play standard VHS only, and record/play S-VHS like early betacam decks? It could be upset that they tried a standard tape rather than its preferred "feed".

S-VHS needs metal particle tape to work, since it allows for the greater headroom the system needs. A standard tape does not have the muster to handle the S-VHS signal. When S-VHS came out in the late 80's we tried to modify a standard tape to run in S-VHS and the results were disappointing to say the least.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

SVHS tapes are NOT metal particle. Neither are DVHS tapes for that matter. They are all oxide stock of varying quality. I have yet to see a deck that didn't record standard VHS. You don't want this one anyway. These decks are beat to crap and need major overhaul, something this one clearly needs due to the error. Plus they only play SP speed tapes, no LP, no EP. Their purpose was to linear edit video with frame accurate precision, not for playback quality.

For Hi-Fi, balanced vs. unbalanced audio output shouldn't really make a difference. Just use quality cables.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

"Pro" svhs decks usually have a few selectable video inputs... composite, s-video, and component. If the right signal is not present at the selected input, then it may not record... unless it defaults to internal CG screen.

The (many) Panasonic 7750's I have will record on either tape species, but you choose SVHS recording via a switch. I believe most decks will autoswitch.

Chip