Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice set ad worth the effort
Old 04-03-2009, 11:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks. Anyone have any thoughts on how to repair the plastic holder for the remote that sits on the back of the set? It got broken in transport to MI. pic here: http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/sh...ze=big&cat=503
Old 04-04-2009, 01:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Thanks. Anyone have any thoughts on how to repair the plastic holder for the remote that sits on the back of the set? It got broken in transport to MI. pic here: http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/sh...ze=big&cat=503
Adam,

If you still have all the pieces, try a super glue for plastic. After applying, fit the pieces, one at a time, securely together. Be aware, super type glue bonds almost instantly. Available at most home stores.

-Steve D.

Last edited by Steve D.; 04-04-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I should have added that the areas that broke off broke into many small pieces (not just 2 or 3, more like 10-20), because it broke into so many pieces (and the unit itself got bent out of shape) I didn't think it was possible to glue back together. I didn't keep the pieces.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I should have added that the areas that broke off broke into many small pieces (not just 2 or 3, more like 10-20), because it broke into so many pieces (and the unit itself got bent out of shape) I didn't think it was possible to glue back together. I didn't keep the pieces.
Adam,

Sounds like you're SOL with repairing that remote holder. To keep the set original, maybe there's an AK'er with one that was salvaged off a scrapped CTC-10. I think the RCA remote sets started with the CTC-7. Maybe the remote holder was included on these sets through the CTC-11 or later. That will increase your odds of finding a holder. I'll bet 99% of the folks that were fortunate enough to own a Remote CTC-10 never replaced the remote in that holder anyway. Just left it on top of the set or on the coffee table.

-Steve D.
Audiokarma
Old 04-05-2009, 10:47 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I don't think I've seen an early one myself. Looks different from the later ones... I've seen plenty of the pockets for the CTC-16, etc. I had a CTC-9 remote set, and I don't remember a holder. Probably a weak spot.

BTW: When did you move to MI? Sorry to see a local collector leave, but anyone leaving SoCal is probably very wise!

Charles

Last edited by kx250rider; 04-05-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I moved out here a few weeks ago. I took all my sets, but left my cars in CA. But I did take with me all the tools and furniture that I inherited from my grandfather, now that I'm in a large enough place to fit it all. Here's some pictures of my sets in my new living room: http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/sh...&size=big&cat= http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/sh...ze=big&cat=503
I figured there was no good way to repair that holder, but I thought I would ask, as I had seen posts on here where people were making knobs and working with plastic in ways I was not that familiar with, and I thought there might be some process I was unaware of which would repair this. But then, I never kept it in the holder either...

Last edited by Adam; 04-11-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I like your 721TS!
John
Old 04-12-2009, 10:52 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
I moved out here a few weeks ago. I took all my sets, but left my cars in CA. But I did take with me all the tools and furniture that I inherited from my grandfather, now that I'm in a large enough place to fit it all. Here's some pictures of my sets in my new living room: http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/sh...&size=big&cat= http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/sh...ze=big&cat=503

Congratulations on a definite move up! I'm sorry to see a local Los Angeles collector gone, but I think you did well to get out, and not stay in SoCal with the way things are going here. Kay and I were at her house in Dallas for the past 10 days, and I was really sorry to leave and come back to LA. Once you spend any time away from the rude, crude, dirty SoCal hustle-'n-bustle, you really get a good view of what's up. I was born here in Los Angeles, so it's my home, but that and the weather are the only reasons I'm still here. And those may not keep me here much longer. Texas or bust!

Charles
Old 05-03-2009, 01:45 PM
I love old stuff

I don't know if a C.T.C.-10, but still intresting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCYX2...eature=related
Audiokarma
Old 10-02-2009, 12:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I fell asleep on the couch watching Rockford on the ctc10, and woke up in the middle of the night to the set making a horrible noise, with a very dim picture and no vert sync. I'll post more later when I have a look at it.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Here's some pictures of my sets in my new living room
Like that Westinghouse. All I have is the pencil holder

http://antiqueradio.org/art/WestinghouseTVPencilBox.jpg

Phil Nelson
Old 10-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Mark

Quote:
I fell asleep on the couch watching Rockford on the ctc10, and woke up in the middle of the night to the set making a horrible noise, with a very dim picture and no vert sync. I'll post more later when I have a look at it.
Good luck with her, I hope it's not too bad. It always seems to happen when they're unattended for some reason.......
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 10-03-2009, 09:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

So the problem is the wire wrapped around the flyback to feed filament voltage to the HV rectifier is arcing to the chassis right where it wraps around the flyback. What kind of wire do I need to replace this?

Also I checked some tubes while I had it apart, and noticed the focus rectifier is weak, then I noticed that it's a 2AV2, and there's supposed to be a 1V2 in there. I don't know what affect this had, but the picture would shrink on the left side if I turned the brightness way up, I wonder if this was the cause. I figure I'll put a new 1V2 in there, and also check the cathode current in the HO tube and the HV (which I never did on this set) before I put it back together. And maybe also touch up the convergence.

Last edited by Adam; 10-03-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

I found where I had some of the 2nd anode crt HV leads saved from junk chassis. Some of them look long enough that I'm thinking they might work as a replacement for this.

Between this problem with the ctc-10 and the convergence gone all wonky on my Zenith, I don't have a working color set at all now.
Audiokarma