Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:18 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
I am wondering you could just pour some PVA on the glass and set the CRT back on it and then let it cure to replace the PVA after a cataract removal. I assume the safety glass lens is no protection at all without the PVA.
I do not know how much protection a now-separate glass lens would provide in case of implosion, but the actual possibility of implosion itself should be no higher from a "naked" 21FJP22 than from the version of that tube sold without the lens and PVA already attached, which is the 21FBP22.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 05-22-2010, 09:11 AM
The Devil Inside

When you dig into CTC-9, CTC-9 digs into you!

Glad no one was hurt, those unexpected explosions can be scary. I had a stack of old tires do something similar to me one time, but without the flying daggers.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Again, this is a bit of "hijacking" the thread, but I have a question. My parents' first new TV was an RCA Victor New Vista 23 inch B&W console in colonial maple(sorry that it's not even a color set I'm discussing). It still functions, although I haven't fired it up since 2006. It uses a 23ENP4 CRT, which is the bonded safety type with the metal retaining spring that holds it in place. Around 1976 when I was 14 I swapped out this CRT into another RCA set that was probably a year or two older & exhchanged tubes. I had ZERO specs or info on either tube. They just LOOKED alike, so I experimented. The 23ENP4 had been used with a brightener & I thought the other sets' CRT would be an improvement. I wore a heavy winter coat, gloves, & safety goggles I found on my dad's workbench. Swapped out the tubes, no problems. I was scared of tightening that retaining spring though.

About a year later I had a tantrum(age 15) when I was grounded from watching TV & threw a toenail clipper at the set, nicking the screen. I used to clip my toenails in the living room, which disgusted my mother-out would come the vacuum cleaner right away. All these years later the nick on the screen has been there & I've had it on several times right up to 2006. I want to try & get this tube rebuilt by Scotty at Hawkeye before they close in July, & I mentioned the nick. He said he couldn't do anything about that but could certainly rebuild the tube. So is this nick in the CRT a safety issue when I try to remove the retaining ring? I'd had to have an implosion-with my luck the glass shards would head striaght for my carotids or jugulars!
Old 05-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Pretend you don't have the knowledge of an emplosion. Have someone hold your beer and flip that spring like yer out doing the drum brakes on yer car and just let it fly.....

When I was a kid we had a '56 24" RCA tv sittin in the basement with a bad picture tube. I really wanted to take the tv apart, and I wanted to see what was in the picture tube.

Me and Dad with no one else around took a rope tied it around the neck of the tube, stood around the corner near the water heater and repeatidly yanked that thick nylon rope and dragged that tv all around the room and never broke the tube.

Many years earlier my dad replaced the picture tube on my grandmothers 21" Magnavox B&W and fell down the stairs with the face of the tube landing between his legs with the face down as he kept the neck up as he and the tube fell down a flight of wooden stairs in their NYC appartment building. Again the tube did not break.

No One held his beer, he did not drink those weekends, but we see a lot of "hold my beer" videos on YouTube and they also live through their stunts. I think yer ok whatever you do. Just keep the nail clippes away from it.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just did the mods tonight. The tv was changed-all three cathode leads were hooked up AHEAD of the 2700 ohm resistor. I suppose that would basically work, as all three cathodes were being driven with equal voltage. Regardless, I added the cap to the HV shunt regulator's filament string (since these tubes cost so darn much, I thought I best to treat is right), altered the RY amp (glad I ordered that extra 10pf cap), and moved the cathode leads to the point specified on the mods.

I installed the chassis, and I gotta say, doing the tracking is a LOT easier now-I'll get some pictures once I get ahold of our camera again.

My main issue is the convergence-I am able to easily line up the red and green guns, but the blue gun seems to be tracking too low. I still have to replace a cap on the convergence board as well as the diodes-not that I suspect that will be such an easy solution...
Audiokarma
Old 05-26-2010, 04:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I hope your experience with the convergence board is easier than mine with a CTC-11. Replacing the selenium rectifier that had fallen into pieces made a difference. Shotgunning other board components, including some pots, did not lead to miracle improvements. Eventually, I decided I could get edge convergence purty good, but not perfect. I chose the set of compromises that I liked best, and called it done

Phil
Old 06-01-2010, 09:59 PM
sampson159

reading about this had me on pins and needles!i have done in excess of 50 cataract removals and never an issue.lucky me,no more.after reading this and dougs story,i think its time to stop.i have a couple nice roundie crt spares and will use them.i had good luck with spraying penetrating oil in the the edge of the safety glass and letting it run before i heat the tube face.never use high heat.it is time consuming but the end result........!i have pushed my luck one time too many.never again!