Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Loved that video! I have very fond memories of working at my Uncle's Sales/Repair shop in the late 70's. I still remember unpacking NEW Chromacolor 2's! I also remember the big switch to the System 3 sets. We also carried a few secondary brands in later years so as not to lose a sale. Zeniths were VERY high priced. We sold GE's for a bit, but they were junk and broke on the sales floor (the VIR era sets). We also sold Philco's (rebadged Sylvania's) they were actually pretty good. However... we had those sets in another section of the store. No matter what other set we had, they NEVER looked as good side by side to a Zenith.
We actually had 2 other dealers in a town of 2000. We had an RCA dealer. They ended up getting their distributorship pulled for "bait and switch" and had to take down their RCA sign. They then sold Magnavox. We also had another dealer who sold Sylvania. I thin he was PO's that we also sold Philco. (since they were the SAME set altho cheaper in price) That same dealer also ended up selling Zenith after my Uncle quit selling TV's. He picked it up right in the era of the bad picture tubes... kinda felt sorry for him.. lol!
Old 06-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
As recently as 1980 or later, Magnavox still had dealers selling only its brand, at least in the Chicago area. I worked at a small store that started selling Magnavox items when the Magnavision laser disc player was first released in that area in 1980.
I know there was one Maggie dealer in downtown Aliquippa, PA which I see when I drive past when on deliveries. I can see the faded letters where they used to hang on the building. Aliquippa is not too bad in some places now, but in the steel days of the Pittsburgh area, it must have been a bustling place. I'll see if I can steal a shot of it with my cellphone.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:05 AM
2 many toys,Not enough $$

There is a member of VK who still does repair sets for a living. I met with him in person, Wonderful gentelman to do business with. Matter of fact, He is who I got the Hoffman from and am currently restoring it. Says he's was at one time a dealer and repairman for sets and now is just a serviceman. Honest as they come to. He is located in El Paso, TX. If I were still there I would take all my work to him. But the last thing I had him work on was a Panasonic CT-216A that is dead. He told me what was wrong, ( Which I don't remember now.) and left it at that. Found the bad part and gave me an estimate of repairs. Could'nt afford it so I told him no, He understood and all I had to pay him was the original estimate. Unlike the newer chains that just take it upon themselves to do the work then shaft you with the bill whether or not you wanted the work done and if you don't pay you don't get your equipment back. What happened to honest service like that?
Old 06-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Here is a quick snapshot of the Magnavox dealer that was in Aliquippa, PA. I was on delivery and driving so I could only manage a quick snapshot with my cellphone camera. I know a tree is blocking part ofthe sign but you can tell that there was a store there that sold Magnavox TV's and radios.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maggiequip.jpg (57.1 KB, 15 views)