Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

blue flashes on roundie

this is the late model last of the roundies a philc ford hybrid.

I finally got it off of the bench and put the legs back on it (metal cabinet, screw on legs).

the pic is good but I get flashes of blue some times a lot of the screen some times just a few lines.

I am guessing a flaking out tube in the color circuits, I will check the blue driver, thinking a shorting tube?

Or maybe I just need to let it play for a while and see if it settles down, I had it on for about an hour, did not seem to change.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

noisy flaky drive or screen pot, flaky drive tube or socket or crt.

move the pots and tube around and tap on the neck of the crt.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I will give all those a shot tomorrrow am.

I hope its not anything wrong with the CRT (like a shorting grid).
Old 06-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Convergence freak!

second that alond with Ctc17. I have a CTC-17 that did that with green. Mine turned out to be a bad ground on the B/Y amp area. Check grounds and solder connections on the B and Y amp tube sockets along with those screen pots.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:15 PM
roundie not so n00b

I have a philco ford roundie that will display snow but blacks out when you apply a signal. any guesses?

Another idea.....instead of expensive anti-psychotic drugs, let's provide schizophrenics with dummy bluetooth headsets. They'll easily blend into the crowd, although I suspect their "conversations" would be far more rational than those of the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

Ron
Audiokarma
Old 06-05-2010, 09:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

BY amp had a loose resistor, tapping the tube would cause a flash then I noticed a 47 ohm resistor that was floppy on the PCB right next to that same tube. My bad, I am pretty sure I had desoldered it while checking it out (it was in circuit P with other stuff IIRC). Any way I am sure thats it, I will pull the chassis tomorrow and correct.

Vert was also a bit jumpy, 6lu8 tube was changed, no help, but a 1 watt resistor that is right next to that tube would settle it down when hit wit some cool juice. It will get replace while I have the chassis out.

I am looking forward to getting it worked out cause it has a very nice picture. Cateract free (has the separate saftey glass lens not bonded to the tube)

I cleaned up all the tar and nicotine that was ALL over it. really gross, mixed it with dust made for big chunks of black goo as well as the brown junk everywhere. It clean up very nice.

I got some plastic and fabbed up a door (missing) over the controls. It even has the same kind of finish. I dont know how the orig stayed up and down I cant see any catches,spring mounts or overcenter type pivots. I was thinking of using some small magnets but its very close to the screen.

Maybe the pivot points were tilted in such a way as to operate over center.

I will mess with it and see.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujifrontier View Post
I have a philco ford roundie that will display snow but blacks out when you apply a signal. any guesses?
Check the AGC, Check the AGC pot for shorts to ground internally. Tin whiskers grow from the case to the leads and short
Old 06-06-2010, 01:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
Check the AGC, Check the AGC pot for shorts to ground internally. Tin whiskers grow from the case to the leads and short
Those whiskers have always amazed me! They can get really long. I'd love to understand how they grow.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tin whiskers are going to be the achelles heel of "Lead Free" electronics:

http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/
Old 06-06-2010, 06:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

soldered that loose resistor back and replaced a 68k 1 watt resistor in the vert circuit. No more flashes of blue and no more jumpy vert

I am letting the chassis cool down and will then button it up for I hope a long time. Its got a very nice picture, I am looking forward to getting some time on it.
Audiokarma