Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

"Last gasp" GE tube/transistor hybrid clock radio

Tonight, I dug out this GE AM/FM-AFC tube/transistor hybrid clock radio. On the front, it says "solid state tuning". I can't find any visible date codes without removing the chassis and the model tag is too faded to read; but, it looks very late '60'ish to me. It plays pretty good on AM; but, FM is not that great unless it's a strong local station. Anyone remember these?

Old 02-26-2009, 10:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

That "68-5" stamped on the clock motor is probably a date code. I wonder what they meant by "solid state tuning" - from the pic I don't see anything but an ordinary cheaper AM/FM set.

What kind of FM antenna does it use?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:26 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUdubon5425 View Post
That "68-5" stamped on the clock motor is probably a date code. I wonder what they meant by "solid state tuning" - from the pic I don't see anything but an ordinary cheaper AM/FM set.
I see a couple transistors down there by the tuning cap.

Quote:
Maybe that fur down there by the green transformer? (Just teasing radiotvnut, blow that dust out of there, will ya? I keep having to resist the urge to blow on my computer screen!)

Seriously though, maybe it's one of those jobs that uses the AC line for the antenna. Looks like some good-sized disc caps on the AC input plug.

--Bob
Old 02-26-2009, 10:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E. View Post
I see a couple transistors down there by the tuning cap.

Maybe that fur down there by the green transformer? (Just teasing radiotvnut, blow that dust out of there, will ya? I keep having to resist the urge to blow on my computer screen!)

Seriously though, maybe it's one of those jobs that uses the AC line for the antenna. Looks like some good-sized disc caps on the AC input plug.

--Bob
I think it does use the line cord; but, I attached a length of wire to the FM antenna terminals because the line cord was not cutting the mustard. One day, I'll pull this apart and try to improve it's FM performance. Really, the only reason I've kept this radio is because of what it is. I think this is the only AC operated consumer radio that I've seen that used both tubes and transistors.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

It's funny that I didn't notice that date stamp until you pointed it out. And, yes, there are at least two transistors close to the tuning cap.
Audiokarma
Old 02-27-2009, 12:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

I see them now! I agree, it's very unusual to see a "hybrid" radio, but if anybody did it GE would.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've seen these before but never realized that they were a hybrid set. Whats the tube line-up in it?
-Tony
Old 02-27-2009, 01:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I see them now! I agree, it's very unusual to see a "hybrid" radio, but if anybody did it GE would.
What shocks me is that GE didn't use a compactron tube or two in this set since they were so hung up on them. I have got an Audiotronics AM/FM "classroom" radio that uses a compactron (6T9) as an audio driver and output tube. The other tubes are regular 7 and 9 pin miniatures.

There were a few battery operated hybrid radios made in the '50's. Most used transistors in the audio output stages while subminiature tubes were used in the rest of the circuit. And, let's not forget about the hybrid auto radios from the late '50's and early '60's. You know, the ones that used low B+ tubes and a big audio output transistor mounted to the rear or the side of the radio.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:19 AM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

Clean the tube sockets and the usual spots and you might be surprised how much better it gets.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:58 AM
VK Member

It is rather nice! I like the way "lighted dial" is advertised on the face as a feature !
The 3 blue electrolytics are a bit of a shock to the eye.

The clock mechanism looks just like the no-longer-working timer thing in my mother's oven!
Audiokarma
Old 02-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Peanut Head

That's a Telechron movement. Very easy to fix if broken, as the coils and capsules are replaceable.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:37 AM
a- v- karma member

I would be very curious to see the actual explanation from the schematic or service
data, but looking at the mechanical variable capacitors with a small number of plates,
I would assume that FM tuning is conventional while AM tuning uses the transistors,
and possibly a varactor diode or two. Anyone got more info about this funny radio?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have several of these radios...the FM RF, mixer and oscillator stages are transistorized and on a separate little circuit board which mounts on top of the main one. The AM tuner is a conventional 12BE6 tube and the rest of the circuit is just a conventional tube radio, 2 IF stages and solid state diodes for the FM ratio detector.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Hauris View Post
I have several of these radios...the FM RF, mixer and oscillator stages are transistorized and on a separate little circuit board which mounts on top of the main one. The AM tuner is a conventional 12BE6 tube and the rest of the circuit is just a conventional tube radio, 2 IF stages and solid state diodes for the FM ratio detector.
Do you have a model number for this radio?

I have a AA5 GE clock radio that is pretty common but it took me forever to figure out the model number. Do other GE radios have the model number on them? Do they just get lost with time?

John
Old 02-27-2009, 03:28 PM
a- v- karma member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Hauris View Post
I see. So 'solid state tuning' does not mean that they are dispensing with
the mechanical variable capacitor. A bit like early automotive electronic
ignition setups that were still using the breaker points, if I understand
correctly.
Audiokarma