Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage Arcade, Pinball, and MAME

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Sad...Sad...Sad...I LOVE THESE Games like crazy..... Kids today have NO CLUE what good is!

Page 1 > http://web.archive.org/web/200311082...1338730,00.asp

Page 2 > http://web.archive.org/web/200311080...1343650,00.asp

Page 3 > http://web.archive.org/web/200311080...1343744,00.asp
Old 06-18-2013, 12:59 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Thanks for the links, I would have laughed watching those kids.

I still have my E.T. cartridge, and probably the box too.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 11-28-2017, 07:58 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV
Thanks for the links, I would have laughed watching those kids.

I still have my E.T. cartridge, and probably the box too.
I have mine also,its challenging not to fall into the pit!!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:53 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
It's no surprise really. Those games were REALLY fun.....except for ET I guess. I never played it long enough to figure it out (but do remember HAVING to have it :-P )

I built one of my old original Donkey Kong upright cabinets into a MAME machine about 15 years ago when I was faced with a scrambled ROM on the original DK board. It's been updated with newer hardware and newer versions of MAME and "rom sets" until around five years ago. Everyone that comes to the flat sees this big blue DK machine (how can you MISS it!) and wants to see it go. It comes up in WindowsXP and I have a batch file that makes it run Donkey Kong on startup so it still SORTA resembles the original game.

Kids actually DO like these games if they are still in the original cabinet with a barstool. In that "form factor" it becomes hard to even try and compare it to a console or cellphone version. I have the original NES system in the back bedroom for when I feel like playing Duck Hunt or that Mario game (You HAVE to use a CRT monitor for Duck Hunt....because of the "zapper" gun)
Old 06-18-2013, 08:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Someone recently patched ET to fix the bugs that made it not fun (notably it's much harder to accidentally fall into the pits with the changes, and he also made it a little easier to win).

http://www.neocomputer.org/projects/et/ is the project page where he explains everything he did. It's a little bit like a TV restoration log, except with 6502 assembly instead of soldering.
Audiokarma
Old 06-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
(You HAVE to use a CRT monitor for Duck Hunt....because of the "zapper" gun)
I noticed years ago that the zapper gun wouldn't work on a green phosphor composite CRT monitor. No idea why.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:08 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I'm not sure why really.....but I could not get the gun to work on anything but a CRT color set. I'm not sure if I ever tried a B/W set, since all my sets are "micro".

A little 13" LCD wouldn't work....and even the much higher contrast 60" Samsung wouldn't do it either. Of course the game itself shows up fine....just no gun. I even tried a DLP projector on a big 110" draper screen...still no go (And those ducks were BIG :-P )

MAME...and all those classic arcade games look and play okay on anything, but I do prefer to use a good 'ol fashion CRT monitor and I use the "-scanlines" switch to keep it looking like the old Sanyo monitor I pulled out of the Donkey Kong cabinet.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:50 AM
Collector of heavy things

I've set up my classic video game systems for my little cousins to play, as I talked about in this thread. They actually had a lot of fun playing classics like Frogger, Donkey Kong, and Mr. Do! on my Colecovision. Oddly, I had issues getting them into some of the later stuff, like SNES (one of them has a Mario Kart game for his Nintendo 3DS, yet couldn't quite get the hang of Super Mario Kart). Might just be a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
I'm not sure why really.....but I could not get the gun to work on anything but a CRT color set. I'm not sure if I ever tried a B/W set, since all my sets are "micro".

A little 13" LCD wouldn't work....and even the much higher contrast 60" Samsung wouldn't do it either. Of course the game itself shows up fine....just no gun. I even tried a DLP projector on a big 110" draper screen...still no go (And those ducks were BIG :-P )
As I understand it, when the trigger on the Zapper gun is pressed, the targets on the screen are turned into white squares for a split second. If the light sensor in the Zapper 'sees' the white square during this split second, the game registers a hit; otherwise, a miss. This only works on CRT TVs because of the lag involved with the conversion of the NES's analog signal to digital as used in LCD TVs (and, presumably, DLP projectors). By the time the white square has appeared on the flatscreen, that split second has passed.
-Adam

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors

Last edited by AdamAnt316; 06-19-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:59 AM
M is for Memory

According to the thread title I'm about 4 years too young to read this, but what the hey.

First video game system I had was the N64, but not long after I was buying up older consoles. I was about as old as those kids when I was starting to play NES and Atari games. I never was bothered by the graphics...I under stood that graphics were a function of the tech at the time of manufacture, that tech was always progressing, and that these machines were older than me. Game play was always the most important aspect to me, and many Atari and NES games were and still are great in that regard.

I've played Mario Kart on the SNES, N64, and Game Cube. My favorite is the N64 version, and my second favorite is the Game Cube version. I can play the SNES version, but I've never liked it much as the feel of the controls seem a bit obtuse compared to the later versions IMO.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-19-2013, 05:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I still remember my NES with the special gun that only works on CRT displays, and the motocross game, and original Mario...
But my fondest memories are of a time when real video arcades were in almost every town. Those were the best... And there was always 1 or 2 arcade games with retrace lines, bleeding colors, shrunken vertical, or purity issues. REAL arcade games can get sick
Audiokarma
Old 06-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Analogue is Awesome

I mi$$ those times!! (Going to arcades and finding GOOD games! (Ms. pacman,etc))

Quote:
Someone recently patched ET to fix the bugs that made it not fun (notably it's much harder to accidentally fall into the pits with the changes
Harder?? -- All you do is NOT WALK OVER THE PIT and you dont fall into it!!

I just tried the original E.T. (I ended with a score of 4413)

Last edited by Dude111; 06-20-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:35 PM
creepingnet

I've played all those games, reading that article was a mix of laughter and remembering why I hated school as a kid (I always had the older consoles).

I still like a good game of Pong now and then, I have Video Olympics towards the front of my 2600 collection for that reason.

Donkey Kong, apparently they did not get the kids to play the 2600 version. It was fun when you did not read the manual to come up with a new plot. I made up my own back story of Super Mario having to fight a man made of Poo who throws atomic cookies at you after taking the waitress hostage. Then, in level two, Mr. Hankey's cousin has you fight through a construction site infested with ducks. LOL

The disturbing part was all those kids speaking of needing an AK47 to take out Koopa Troopas or drowining hookers, or whatever....the even more disturbing part was this was where I saw everything heading even from a young age...and I don't like that.

Duck Hunt does not work but on a CRT TV because LCD's and maybe Green phosphor CRTS might not make the square bright enough as an additional caveat. An old cheat at Duck Hunt was to point the Zapper at a lamp and "shoot" at it. Perfect hit every time (until the light sensor in the Zapper gave out from the extreme brightness of the light bulb). Duck Hunt is one of the bigger reasons for repairing/rebuilding my 80's Mitsubishi (Atari is another one).
Old 07-12-2013, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

i used to play et on the 2600 , once you get the idea of how and where to go its not difficult , it has the challenge and all , not sure why its the worst game , the raiders of the lost ark 2600 game now theres one that i have yet to find someone who was able to get anywhere in it and explain it, so that should be the worst

mike
Old 07-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I never had much luck with the "Raiders" game either, even when reading one of those video game magazines that told how to play it.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 08-05-2013, 02:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

My first was a 2600. I still have it too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj3egHVqkS8

I made that video a little while ago, with my old Atari.. I love these games and I still do. It's funny to look back, and still so fun to play!
Audiokarma