Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

transformer is plenty

with today's switching power supplies, there is little or no protection from the surge onslaught, but the ctc 9 has a massive power transformer that acts like four big defensive linemen protecting the quarterback. power transformers back then were not an issue, but more maintaining the dc supplies feeding the tube driven circuits. you could put a surge suppressor before the power transformer, but i probably wouldnt waste the money
Old 10-26-2005, 12:17 AM
AK Member

Thanks for the reply guys.

The AC line interlock on tubesandmore is just what I need. I purchased some brand new "heavy duty" cheater cords from a seller on ebay, Don Patterson his name is, I'm not sure he's on this forum or not. All I'll need to do is drill out the rivets and put the new interlock in. This set was pure luck to get it from a TV repairman and in such good condition. I want to keep it as original as it could be. I really never wanted to cut out a bigger hole for a bigger power entry jack. Grounding the chassis isn't critical, but it's more or less required on certain equipment, but it can cause ground loop problems that could make my picture crap. Thanks Eric!

All of the tan-colored tar leaked out of the power transformer since the chassis was sitting horizontal. Think this will be bad for the power transformer? The goop leaked onto the vinyl covered cabinet of this Felton, what would be a good way to clean it off? The cabinet is made of the same steel (I think, some sort of steel alloy) as the chassis frame, same thinkness too from how it looks. I was dissapointed as I wanted the cabinet to be all wood, but wood probably wouldn't be strong enough to hold the picture tube up in the small cabinet. How can I freshen up this cabinet and make it look as good as new.

Thanks again guys.

Jonathan
Old 10-26-2005, 12:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Don Patterson is a good guy who has been around the radio/tv hobby for quite awhile. But I don't think I've ever seen him on a forum.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:09 PM
AK Member

I purchased some cheater cords from him. I'm VERY satisfied and would reccomend buying from him. The cheater cords I got are perfect. They are heavy duty, and just want I need for the CTC9. I'll leave him some well deserved feedback.

Jonathan
Old 10-27-2005, 01:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've got a '66 vintage 23' Zenith (the one with the tilting hv cage) plugged into an old two prong recep. in my shop. About a month ago i was doing some cleaning up (yup, 6 years was up again) and went to move this set. When I pulled the plug out I saw the plastic was melting around the prongs! I thought that was only supposed to happen on space heaters. Oh yeah, that zenith IS a space heater.
Audiokarma
Old 10-28-2005, 07:01 PM
AK Member

That's why I want my CTC9 in my house, because it'll heat my house. :P

Jonathan
Old 10-29-2005, 10:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've got an RCA CTC-20 space heater in my den!