Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

The huge Zenith sign at the old distribution center

You've seen this photo in my avatar before. I was in northlake yesterday and brought my camera along so I could get some better quality photos of this old sign. Like anything unused, its a matter of time before it gets taken down. Im surprized its still up. the north side for of the sign shows alot of wear and tear. It still displays great when driving down I-294. The building is now used by tribune direct and is another printer for the chicago tribune.

You can get an idea how large this sign is by comparing it to the 53' semi trailer in the back and by the car on the right of the sign. This sign is from atleast 1970 as I have a 1970 zenith phonograph pamphlet and this sign is on the front cover. Just to note, all those lamps are individual flood lights. A very expensive sign to light up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zensign1.jpg (39.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg zensign2.jpg (38.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg zensign3.jpg (40.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg zensign4.jpg (44.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg zensign5.jpg (41.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg zensign6.jpg (41.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg zensign7.jpg (47.9 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg zensign8.jpg (41.0 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by drh4683; 08-06-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wonder if LG is aware of the sign, and if they are doing anything to see that it stays up there.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wonder if the Chicago Tribune would talk to you about doing a human-interest article on it, and use their massive resources to research the sign a little (or maybe they did already -- check microfilms in a local library?). Might be worth a letter or email to the Tribune, or perhaps even a visit. I would really like to know the history of this sign. In another thread, we debated if this was the only one, or even the largest one, in Chicago -- I have strong memories of one looking somewhat different, except muddled by 40 years intervening, perhaps. Did the lights on this sign ever flash randomly? The one I remember, every floodlight flashed independently, a couple times a second, giving the overall effect not unlike "snow" on the screen of an old Zenith TV set. This one, as I recall when last it was lit, was not flashing.

but it WAS a brazillion years ago...
Old 08-06-2006, 10:35 PM
AK Member

When I was growing up in Chicago back in the 60's and 70's, I recall Zenith having a factory somewhere on the west side. Was there another sign in that area? I also kind of remember that big sign on Rt.294 flashing.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Brrrrrrrzzzt ! That sound you hear is Commander Eugene F. McDonald, Jr. spinning in his grave over what's been done to his beloved Zenith...Lucky-Goldstar, indeed....
Old 08-07-2006, 07:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Bourquin
I wonder if LG is aware of the sign, and if they are doing anything to see that it stays up there.

Don't think so.LG is retiring the Zenith name and only making new products under the LG name.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFitz
Don't think so.LG is retiring the Zenith name and only making new products under the LG name.
Really..? I've seen at least a few new Zenith-branded products showing up at Best Buy fairly recently. I'd be surprised that they'd actually retire the name though; I'd think the Zenith name would still have some value from a "brand goodwill" standpoint. Lots of people probably still don't realize that Zenith is actually LG/Goldstar.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:49 PM
On Land

Doug:

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought your post was going to include a story of how you got the sign home and it's now in your front yard! Oh well. Maybe next time you take pictures of it, it WILL be in your front yard!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:25 PM
<--1956 300B

Maybe we should all pitch in and buy it!

polaraman
Old 08-10-2006, 07:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I bought my first digital TV last week. An LG, "made by Zenith" the salesman said (a major selling point to me). 30-inch widescreen CRT, weighs a TON. Brought it home, risked a hernia lifting it off the truck bed, brought it in, plugged it in, got this (photo). Nice purple zone! I put this photo on my iPaq and showed it to the front desk at Best Buy. They cheerfully exchanged the TV. Replacement (after 2nd drive home, 2nd lift off of truck, 2nd setup) is hanging in there. Hopefully the other one was a fluke...

I guess this post just follows up on Zenith's grand fall from grace, from the good old days. Can't imagine the real, American, Zenith letting THAT out the door...

- k
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LG-pic.JPG (176.5 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by kbmuri; 08-10-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 08-10-2006, 07:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think that would be a Zenith set made by LG. As far as I know Zenith no longer makes tv sets. Lucky Goldstar ( a Korean government subsidised company) bought the name and the remains of the company.

Bill R.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:33 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirled One
Really..? I've seen at least a few new Zenith-branded products showing up at Best Buy fairly recently. I'd be surprised that they'd actually retire the name though; I'd think the Zenith name would still have some value from a "brand goodwill" standpoint. Lots of people probably still don't realize that Zenith is actually LG/Goldstar.
I think it makes sense to drop the Zenith name, and I've noticed it being phased-out as well.

LG is expanding into major home appliances, keep in mind they already make cell-phones. They want to be known as a "heavyweight" in the electronics/appliance industry, and the whole "zenith" thing just adds confusion... The name served it's purpose; distancing the public from their crappy reputation earned in the 80s as Gold Star. I remember those being the first VCRs for under $200, sold at membership-warehouse type places.

To say it disgusts me to see people buying fully-loaded Korean LG refrigerators for hundreds less then Whirlpool could even build them for in Benton Harbor, MI would be an understatement. And then our politicians bash Whirlpool for moving factories to Mexico!

BTW, you might find it interesting to know that Hyundai is sniffing around Ford Motor Company to buy the Jaguar name.

But Amen to LG dropping the Zenith name... Better off dead than whored-out!
Old 08-12-2006, 07:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have seen a lot of LG products here in Australia & all I can say is they are utter crap compared to what they made 10 years ago when at least they worked after the warranty period expired.

These days it would be lucky if they work for 6 months before any work is done to them.

These high failure rates I would consider as unacceptable but it still persists & what would be the effects on the bottom line because of this.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bulbs on the sign and cost to operate

Here's some useless trivia for you:

Perhaps some of you have wondered how much energy is used to illuminate this sign due to the flood bulbs on it. Here you go, I took a count and come up with roughly 609 flood bulbs per side (+/- 10 bulbs) that counts to 1218 total. Lets assume each flood is 150 watt, that means this sign would consume a total of 182700 watts, or 182.7 kW. ComEd charges $.09 per kilowatt hour (kWh). To operate this sign, not including the flourecent bulbs that light up the slogan, it would cost $16.44 per hour. I remember that sign being on all day long. So, for 24 hours it would cost $394.56 per day which counts to $11836.80 in a month of 30 days. Remember, this would be 2006 prices! energy cost in 1998 were about $.07/kWh when this sign was last on. So when the sign was last on, it was costing Zenith $12.79 per hour.

Last edited by drh4683; 08-13-2006 at 05:52 PM.
Audiokarma