Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sharp '69 12 inch tube portable

Found this set today, Sharp model TU-40P. It was at a home where the old owners had left a bunch of stuff and the new owners were trying to get rid of it all. The set was filthy and smells of old, wet basement. Before I started cleaning the set I thought for sure the plastic was yellow! Luckily since it has been sitting in the basement it was just filthy and not yellowed. 12 tube chassis, uses a 12cnp4 crt. Has had a few tubes changed but that looks like about it. I could not get continuity between the two ac plug connectors but none of the tubes were clearly to air and the power switch was good. I will have to wait until I get a schematic and look into the set in more detail. I thought the set was rather interesting, seeing how the US tv market would have been the clear winner in the electronics industry during this time.

Set is missing a lot of knobs which will likely be impossible to find. Also, look at that filth!

Inside of set. Decent construction. I would say average quality for a portable set, if not a little better than others I have seen. The crt socket sure is small!
Old 08-21-2015, 09:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Interesting.

Thanks for the pictures.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Interesting set. you'll find the buttons on eBay...probably.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:55 PM
M is for Memory

If you flip through the Sam's you will find a LOT of small Japanese made sets (many wearing American brand names) as far back as 1965, and still some earlier than that.

The japs were trying for conquest of the transistor radio market in the 50's and where about there by the mid 60's, the small/portable monochrome TV market they conquered much faster....Entering in the early 60's and forcing all but 2-3 major brands out of some screen sizes by about '68.

EDIT: I, and I'm sure others here, have some 60's jap knobs. If you can locate a decent picture of the same model and it's knobs you may be able to get replacements from the community.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 08-24-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:56 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Cool set ! I'm going to bet you have an extremely rare tv !
Sharp USA is in NJ write them to see if you can get info.
Good luck with it, it's definitely not a common find...

Old 08-24-2015, 07:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's salvageable. It might take some effort to redo it but I have confidence in you.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:08 PM
<----Zenith C845

I had a Sharp TV exactly like that one in the early 1970s. It was a great set while it lasted, but it only worked three years before the tuner developed an intermittent connection somewhere. I was able to get it working after a fashion by propping the VHF tuner shaft up with a screwdriver, but that was only a temporary "fix" which didn't last long. These days, if I still had it, I could set the tuner (intermittent connection and all) on channel 3 or 4 and use it with a converter box or on cable, but unfortunately that set is long gone. I don't know what ever became of it now, 40+ years later.

BTW, I just thought of something regarding these Japanese-made tube-powered TVs. We talk a lot about offshore-made TVs, radios, etc. these days, but sets like the Sharp we are discussing here are examples of TVs that were made in Japan, then imported and sold here, so Japanese-made TVs aren't new. I'd say they go back as far as the early 1960s. Think about Japanese-made transistor radios, which were showing up on our shores in the '50s. It was just a short step from there to Japanese-manufactured TVs, a trend that continues to this day. The only difference is today's flat screens are being made by factories in China and elsewhere. Insignia-branded flat screens, for example, are manufactured by XOCECO in China and sold in this country by Best Buy (Future Shop in Canada).

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 08-24-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Update post. I have been working on this set for the past few weeks and now I have hit a snag. I have horizontal deflection but only partial vertical deflection. The set also makes a horrible wailing sound. I checked all the main power voltages and they are all spot on. The resistances for the vertical output tube are all around special and the tube is good. Any other ideas for what may be causing this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160617_102737.jpg (45.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-17-2016, 10:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendulum View Post
Update post. I have been working on this set for the past few weeks and now I have hit a snag. I have horizontal deflection but only partial vertical deflection. The set also makes a horrible wailing sound. I checked all the main power voltages and they are all spot on. The resistances for the vertical output tube are all around special and the tube is good. Any other ideas for what may be causing this?
Bridge the power supply electrolytics, with a known good one. It probably won't correct the vertical sweep problem, but it should eliminate the noise.
Those Sharps, always seemed to have vertical problems. They ran rather hot, destroying the paper caps and other components. Also, a possibility of a bad yoke.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I did replace the electrolytic earlier, but I will double check to make sure I did everything correctly. On a side note, I think I have found the problem that is causing the loud screeching sound and no static. When I was testing the 10jy8 tube I found that placing my test probe on pin 7 caused the screeching to stop and static to come through the speaker. Tracing pin 7 on the schematic leads back to a video detector diode that is buried inside one of the IF transformers. I have a pretty good feeling this is the source of the problem. I will go about seeing if I can open up the IF can and replace it, and hopefully this will fix the issue and I can focus on the vertical deflection. I included a scan of the schematic so you more knowledgeable guys can tell me if my guess sounds correct and maybe where to look for the vertical issue. I did check the yoke and it is fine, so the issue is not there.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf page 1.pdf (56.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: pdf page 2.pdf (53.7 KB, 8 views)
Audiokarma
Old 06-18-2016, 08:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well update. The diode checked ok. I did resistance checks on all the tunes in the if and they were ok, I can only guess by probing pin 7 of the 10jy8 I am injecting a signal of some sort. No new news with the vertical issue as well, I did resistance checks on the sweep tubes and they were all on point. I may shelve this project to work on the similar wells Gardner set, that one seems to have all the critical parts mostly working
Old 06-19-2016, 01:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

sorry but I think its the yoke. Has a keystone look to it.
Unhook it & check for short between H & V windings.
Should show infinate resistance.
Often if you pull back the yoke it will allow it to burn
where its shorted & you may get lucky.

73 Zeno
Old 06-21-2016, 11:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

nice save !