Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
tweeter mounted in front of the big oval speaker.

Phil Nelson
They must have gotten a great deal on twinlead, if they used it to feed the tweeter. Being flat helps, but any thin zip cord would also do.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:41 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
They must have gotten a great deal on twinlead, if they used it to feed the tweeter. Being flat helps, but any thin zip cord would also do.
LOL - you might be right. I was wonder why the used twinlead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet753 View Post
Banderson: I think the 1B3 was developed as an improvement on the 1J3. Seems like I read somewhere that the filament on the 1B3 tubes were designed a little huskier than the 1J3...
Hmm. I dug up some datasheets on the tubes and they both show 1.25 +- 0.2 for the filament

The Slip Plate came out pretty good I think. This set relies entirely on the CRT to filter the HV so I figured it was important to have a good coating.

Last edited by bandersen; 04-28-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:46 PM
On Land

There's a GE similar to this one down the street from me at the "Mini-Storage Flea Market" in Kountze. The cabinet is different.... it doesn't have the cool rounded edges like Bob's... but everything else looks to be the same... especially that weird speaker.

Unfortunately, it's missing the small knobs and also the General Electric letters that go in the center of the speaker area. On the right, it says "Ultra Vision"... that's pretty funny I think.

They have 55 bucks on the tag. I might be more inclined to get it if it didn't have all the little missing pieces. Still a neat looking TV.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:59 AM
RCA 741PCS

The new CRT is finally installed. It took about four passes to get it seated properly.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:21 AM
David Thomas

[QUOTE=bandersen;3067987]

I dug up some datasheets on the tubes and they both show 1.25 +- 0.2 for the filament

QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, it had more to do with the design of the filament itself (support, protective coating, etc). For instance, a HV rectifier subjected to filament over-voltage (and resultant high temperature), may have the nickel support rods burned away leaving the filament intact but with insufficient support. Tube engineers often changed the internal makeup of tubes to help simply improve their useful lifetime, which is what I believe to be the case in the 1B3/1J3.

Of course, I'm trying to remember the contents of an article I read years ago.
I can't find the article discussing the 1B3/1J3 differences, but I did locate the one about why HV rectifier tubes (of the 1B3 era) failed. It was also the one that tells of the advantages of replacing any of the 1B3 family of tubes with a 1AX2. It came from a book of tech tips published by CBS-Hytron.
Audiokarma
Old 05-02-2013, 01:33 PM
RCA 741PCS

Thanks for the info.

I finished restuffing and remounting the IF board. I sure hope I have all the wires attached correctly We'll find out later today.

The top of the cabinet is coming along nicely too. I'll let this sanding sealer cure for another day or two, then lightly sand and apply a little medium brown walnut toner.
It's sure going to be a pain to mask off the whole set before spraying

Last edited by bandersen; 05-02-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:10 PM
RCA 741PCS

It's up and running, but something is not quite right. The gain is lousy and some components are overheating on the IF board. Time for some troubleshooting.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:00 AM
RCA 741PCS

A few random voltage checks seemed OK then it occurred to me I hadn't tested the tubes yet.

I've never seen such a sorry mix of shorted and weak tubes! I tracked down good replacements for all but the 6CX8 limiter and video amp. I'll continue the search for that one later.

That made quite a difference and just in time for Kojak and Night Gallery
I can't wait to fire it up with the full-sized CRT and giant speaker.

Then I remembered this set has the optional UHF tuner, hooked up a crude loop antenna and gave it a try. Yes, we do still have a few low power analog TV broadcasts in Chicago.

All I found was used car salesmen and religious stuff. Some things never change

Last edited by bandersen; 05-03-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
A few random voltage checks seemed OK then it occurred to me I hadn't tested the tubes yet.

I've never seen such a sorry mix of shorted and weak tubes! I tracked down good replacements for all but the 6CX8 limiter and video amp. I'll continue the search for that one later.
Wow Bob, is that top picture with the Hickock card tester showing all shorts!! seems like 4 of them as well!!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wow, those where some sorry tubes! Glad to see it finally starting to come together so well!
Audiokarma
Old 05-03-2013, 12:20 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn5tony View Post
Wow Bob, is that top picture with the Hickock card tester showing all shorts!! seems like 4 of them as well!!
Yes, it's showing shorts on four out of five elements!

Here's the latest issue I'm fighting with. The left side of the screen seems brighter with a line down the middle. It moves with the horizontal hold control. Replacing the 6AX4 damper tube had no effect.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

That chassis looks vaguely familiar. My parents had a GE Coaxial console that even had bass & treble controls. Too young at the time to know what "coaxial" meant, all I knew is that it sounded pretty good. Blond cabinet.

Nice set.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
The left side of the screen seems brighter with a line down the middle. It moves with the horizontal hold control.
Maybe the horizontal blanking isn't working? Hooked up backwards? Does it move in the opposite direction of the motion of the main picture when you play with the horiz hold?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:24 PM
On Land

Quote:
Here's the latest issue I'm fighting with. The left side of the screen seems brighter with a line down the middle.]
Many of my B&W sets do that... but not quite as extreme as what yours is. Like your set, mine is most noticeable with nothing on the screen... or during night time scenes.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Administrator

My GE was doing something similar, only I think it does it with the Fine Tuning instead of the Horiz Hold.
Audiokarma