Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Motorola Minion

Huge RCA speaker - need other half

Relaximus, that Zenith is a great piece and so is the Motorola. Does that have the 2 6BQ5 (center channel amp) just for the low freq?

I attached a photo of my friend's Zenith, a cousin to yours.
KP12-0130.jpg

KP12-0131.jpg

My RCA speaker has a 15" woofer, I need to find the HiFi half .
IMG_1762.jpg

RCA speaker.jpg
Old 02-15-2012, 11:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Dave: Your speaker's' pretty much a match for my SHF-5 except she's not set up for stereo.

Larry

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCA Cabinet.jpg (112.5 KB, 277 views)

Stick yer arm out.....it won't hurt me a bit!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 05:54 PM
slave to 3 equines

My 1962 Italian made Philco Windsor console stereo, this beast has a Graetz OEM chassis, goodmans speakers and a Lenco L70 turntable with a Shure magnetic cartridge (originally used a Ronette Binofluid crystal cartridge, i had to replace it as it skipped even with a new stylus)

Needless to say it sounds great... not much top end since the speaker system lacks a real tweeter. but VERY warm and pleasant

Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here is one I found at Savers for $20. Hoffman. Sounds surprising GREAT!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hoffman 001.jpg (32.6 KB, 54 views)
Old 04-28-2012, 02:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwick View Post
My 1962 Italian made Philco Windsor console stereo, this beast has a Graetz OEM chassis, goodmans speakers and a Lenco L70 turntable with a Shure magnetic cartridge (originally used a Ronette Binofluid crystal cartridge, i had to replace it as it skipped even with a new stylus)

Needless to say it sounds great... not much top end since the speaker system lacks a real tweeter. but VERY warm and pleasant

This is a beauty - my guess is that if you replace the capacitors feeding the tweeters and mids, a lot of the missing top end will appear. Once they start to deteriorate, it slowly kills the top end and messes with the frequency response.
Audiokarma
Old 05-09-2012, 03:27 AM
slave to 3 equines

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
This is a beauty - my guess is that if you replace the capacitors feeding the tweeters and mids, a lot of the missing top end will appear. Once they start to deteriorate, it slowly kills the top end and messes with the frequency response.
The capacitors are still good apparently, they tested fine on my ESR meter.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Consoles 'Я' Us

GE Musaphonic Console

Purported to be a 1949 model, this will be joining my console collection later this month. Does anyone know anything about these? The one thing that confuses me a bit is its lack of FM. All of the print ads I've seen tout this as having FM. Also, does anyone know who may have made the dual-tonearm phonograph?

Dave

Fisher, Grundig, Motorola & Magnavox Consoles | Dahlquist DQ-30 | DCM TimeWindow 3 | PSB Stratus Gold i | RtR II-F | Klipsch KG-4 | KLH 6 & System 20 | Nakamichi PA-7 | B&K Monoblocks | Outlaw Audio 950 | Carver MXR-130 | Pioneer SX-1250 | Sansui 9090DB
Old 05-09-2012, 01:27 PM
M is for Memory

The thicker arm is likely a record cutter arm for recording. That is the case for mose phonographs (though there are some dual arm philcos and zeniths where the extra arm is for LPs)

That cabinet style could be a holdover from before the ad and before they started putting in FM tuning as a standard(if that is the case yours could predate the ad).

Just my 0.02$

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Consoles 'Я' Us

I think you may be right. Zooming in on the picture reveals this:

Notice the word RECORD on the left-hand knob. Also, the left-most preset is labeled PHONO./F.M. ?EC. It's looking more and more like that 2nd arm is a cutter.

Dayum, I can't wait for this thing to arrive!

Also, any ideas on what wood the cabinet is made from?

Dave

Fisher, Grundig, Motorola & Magnavox Consoles | Dahlquist DQ-30 | DCM TimeWindow 3 | PSB Stratus Gold i | RtR II-F | Klipsch KG-4 | KLH 6 & System 20 | Nakamichi PA-7 | B&K Monoblocks | Outlaw Audio 950 | Carver MXR-130 | Pioneer SX-1250 | Sansui 9090DB
Old 05-09-2012, 05:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I bet they didnt sell many FM models at first. Around here, we had no FM until the early 1960's.

My grandparents had a complete set of National Geographics up through the late 1970's. Loved all the print ads there for the Musaphonics. They looked so regal!

Look forward to seeing what would make me want to own one... Interior pictures...

Bruce
Audiokarma
Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

The cabinet is by Baker, a very respectable firm. I can't wait until you get it either, it looks like it would blow the house down.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:52 PM
M is for Memory

betcha a doughnut it reads F.M. TEL.(short for television). It was a popular marketing gimmick before the war to sell radio consoles as being TV ready. It probably has a connector on the back to connect an FM tuner, TV audio feed, or any other device that outputs an audio signal.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-10-2012, 07:05 AM
Consoles 'Я' Us

Well, the mystery of the 2nd tone arm is solved. I received this email from the lady I'm getting it from:
Quote:
Yes! It has the ability to record! AND it also has the original microphone! The microphone alone made me gasp as it gorgeous and huge!! OMG!!! And there's a box with 2 blank records. There is a headphone (microphone?) jack in the right storage side (seems oem) and other stuff in there too.
Dave

Old 05-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Consoles 'Я' Us

To say that I am obsessed with finding information about this thing before it arrives would be an understatement. I think I may have found it here on RadioMuseum.org, listed as a 1942 model having the extremely rare JM-1C changer/recorder.

Dave

Old 05-11-2012, 03:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is going to be something different!
Audiokarma