Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2010, 09:02 PM
VK Member

Questions about a Leader LCG-388 Color Bar Pattern Generator

Hello all,

A friend of mine passed along an interesting piece of equipment to me the other day and I'm trying to get some use out of it. Unfortunately all the connections and cables are pretty foreign to me at the moment. All I know about it right now is that it looks pretty awesome. I'd love it if I could get some feedback on this thing.

Just to let everyone know - I don't have much experience with analog video equipment. I have a basic understanding of electronics and video gear, but it's limited to cameras, monitors, computers etc. I've been trying to experiment with new media for artistic purposes, in hopes of making some experimental films.

Anyway, here goes..

This is it. I'm not sure what the inputs on the right accept. Banana plugs maybe? Not sure what the Gun Killer does either, but I imagine it has to do with the RGB alligator clips (pictured below). I'd like to send these patterns to a monitor of mine via BNC. I've been able to get a signal from it by using the shoddy cables that came with it; more on that in a bit..

Here's the back. The picture might not do it justice, but there's a switch in the middle. Channel 5 or Channel 6. I have no idea what to stick in the input on the right. Maybe more banana plugs?

These are the cables it came with.

#1. A busted BNC adapter of some kind. It's soldered to a cable that connects it to #2.

#2. Tetanus covered cable. Connected to #1.

#3. Alligator clips. Red, green, blue and black. Not really sure what to attach them to.

I hooked the BNC to the back of my monitor, and held #2 to the 'Video Out' and what I think is the ground on the right side of front of the box. I was able to get something to display on the monitor, and it changed as I turned to knobs, but it was seriously distorted. I imagine the cables are bad, I just don't know what to replace them with.

I'm still not sure how to use those alligator clips.

Any advice would be amazing. I also have an old Vectorscope/Oscilloscope that I'll be posting about soon. Very exciting.

Thanks!

Last edited by badguise; 11-04-2010 at 09:54 PM.