Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-09-2022, 05:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Late 1960s VM Portable Record Changer Idler Tire Troubles

Greetings everyone, few years back I was given a late 1960s vintage Solid State Stereo Suitcase Record Changer made by Voice of Music (it was actually made by them with their name on it, and wasn't a rebadge for another company by them), and the original idler tire was one of the ones that the rubber had petrified over the years (turned really hard to the point that it didn't grip the edge of the turntable platter anymore.)

I had found in my parts stash a couple of idler tires that were from the previous generation of idler tires that were the same style of idler tire as the ones that were used on the later generation 1200 series record changers except that the inner diameter hole was slightly larger than the later generation ones and so I had bought a plastic spacer to install on the shaft of the idler tire shaft to make it so that the older style idler that had the larger shaft hole would fit the smaller diameter shaft.

When I was trying to put it together and install the retaining clip, I ended up losing the retaining clip (a 1/32" diameter I think c-clip that none of the hardware stores near me have any c-clips that go down that small, as the smallest they go is 1/16" diameter and that was too big.)

Any ideas as to where I might get another idler tire retaining clip for my V-M Record Changer idler tire?

Thanks for your help in the matter.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:34 PM
M is for Memory

You could just pinch the next size up with needle nose pliers so it grips. I'm sure you could Google and find the right one for sale online.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-09-2022, 06:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
You could just pinch the next size up with needle nose pliers so it grips. I'm sure you could Google and find the right one for sale online.
Ok, I'll see what I can do.

I did check the V-M Website and he didn't seem to have those idler tire retaining clips in stock, and I don't think he ever did carry them because I didn't see a section on his website for such parts.