Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Toshiba 50" DLP

I have a Toshiba 50HMX96 DLP set that will intermittently turn on. I think the lamp is dying on it but it has another problem. Sometimes the lamp will light for a little while then both it and the light engine will turn off. The blue power on indicator on the front of the set will stay on like the TV thinks it is on. When the lamp does light I get a blank screen. I'm not sure if the screen is blue or white since I have the set disassembled and am placing a piece of styrofoam over the projection lens to see what is being displayed. I have gone through the troubleshooting information in the service manual and it points to the digital board (Seine board). Does anybody know if there is a specific component on these boards that fail? I got the set for free and figured if I could get it fixed relatively inexpensively that would be great. Otherwise I'll probably just junk it.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:54 AM
"Book em Dano!"

Does it have a cable card slot? Those are known to short out. I repaired 2 plasma's with that issue. I just clipped the one wire that powers the card slot and no more issues
Old 02-03-2012, 05:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

It does have the cable card slot but it is mounted onto the Seine board. There is a ribbon cable from the tuner that connects near the card slot. I disconnected it just in case it supplied power to the slot but there was no change in the behavior.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:45 PM
"Book em Dano!"

It was worth a shot. there should also be a power connector running to the siene board to the PS. It has 5 wires. Try unplugging that.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

i just fixed one of those with a no video syndrome, it actually had menu, just no picture on anything.

found the digital video processor IC, Near the HDMI connectors on the Seine module was blown open.
Audiokarma
Old 02-05-2012, 07:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Was the IC case physically blown apart? I don't see anything on the board that obviously looks like it has failed. Did you end up replacing the board or the IC? Mine doesn't even display a menu. Just a blank screen. If I remove the power connector (more than 5 connections), I just get the LED indicator code that the Seine is booting.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

it had a "crack" in it, but yes it classified as blown apart. Keep in mind those two toshiba ICs work hand-in-hand over thier own proprietary PCI-E interface, and if either one fails, its toast. But getting lights and getting fan action, or any action at all, indicates the main IC is booting and running its OS, which is also the same IC that generates the OSD. So unless you have something thats bad between the IC and the connection to the engine, you probably have a bad engine. but who knows for sure.