Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Sweet! Scored a nice Samsung 32" LCD

This 2008 Samsung showed up at the Thrift store a couple weeks ago, price was $225 Remote included, not too bad if it was working but this one was dead.

Today was 1/2 off on everything, still too high to gamble on at $112.50 so late in the afternoon I made an offer of $50 and it was accepted.

I took off the back and found (what else) one of the Caps had blown it's top, only one and it's an oddball looking one that's a different brand than all the others so maybe the others are OK.

It's a 2200@10v, I had a 3300@ 6.3 on hand so I put it in and now it works!
The 6.3 volt cap is running cool but I'll get a correct cap before I button it up.

This will make an excellent bedroom set, it has mounting holes for a wall mount.

Here's are some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model.jpg (18.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Fonzie.jpg (15.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg happydays.jpg (23.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg cap.jpg (3.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 11-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Banned

cool! a lcd tv for 50 bucks? cant beat that!!
Old 11-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Looks like a 2200 uFd/16V 105°C Low ESR cap would fit the bill there. I wonder how many LCD sets get junked for a capacitor?
Old 11-26-2011, 02:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Looks like a 2200 uFd/16V 105°C Low ESR cap would fit the bill there. I wonder how many LCD sets get junked for a capacitor?
LOTS if its a Samsung. I have a 19" one here thats sitting in the basement. Eventually I'll spend the $30 and see if its a bad power brick (its external). There really aren't any caps in the set itself, I think the small PCB the power switch is on is bad though. Getting replacement parts, or even another dead/broken monitor has proven impossible.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Looks like this is a very common problem for this model.

I typed the model number into Google and most of the hits were of the "My Samsung won't turn on" variety.

Fortunately it's a very easy fix.

The insides of this set are amazingly bare, compared to my Plasma which is packed full of circuit boards and components this almost seems like Magic that it works!
I realize of course that there are actually millions of transistors and whatnot etched into it's little Silicon organs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insides.jpg (28.6 KB, 77 views)
Audiokarma
Old 11-30-2011, 12:18 PM
<----Zenith C845

I recently read in "The Basics of HDTV" that most flat panels today are in fact packed with circuitry, though most of it is unnoticed because it is contained within integrated circuits (ICs). In fact, I was amazed by the sheer numbers of circuits contained in these chips when I saw the block diagrams of the sections of a typical HDTV. Who would have thought, 25 or 30+ years ago, that this much circuitry could be crammed into a very small IC chip, or that an entire television could fit into a cabinet under one inch thick?

More amazing, to me anyhow, is how today's FPs can be made so slim. My own Insignia 19" flat set is only about an inch thick, if that much, and weighs just under 6.6 pounds without the table-top stand. I was amazed when I set up this TV in place of my 12-year-old analog one; the flat set is so much smaller it all but floored me. I bet a lot of non-technical people, used to seeing a large console or table-model TV in a huge cabinet, are amazed as well that such a small device as a modern FP (even a large-screen one) is a "real" television set. Because all FPs bear little or no resemblance to the large portable, table and console television receivers that preceded them (and which most people old enough to remember them are used to), such a reaction would not surprise me.

What is probably more amazing to a lot of people is the idea of hanging a TV set on a wall, like a piece of framed art. This used to be science fiction (who would have so much as dreamed, 40 years ago, of doing that with a heavy 1950s-'60s vintage portable?), but today's FPs are light enough that it is now possible to do so -- even though it takes a special type of mounting to safely attach a FP to a living-room wall. The online instruction manual for my FP (and probably every flat-panel ever made which is intended for wall mounting) makes a specific point of this, and cautions the set owner that "one size [of flat-panel television wall mount] does not fit all" as well as stating that only a wall mount capable of supporting the set's weight must be used, lest the set falls off the mount (when the latter breaks under excessive weight) and shatters into a million pieces. I've never actually seen this happen, but it may well have happened in the past when someone does a slap-dash job of mounting the set to the wall or uses a flimsily-built (or the wrong size) wall mount.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:48 PM
M is for Memory

In the 60's I would not think that mounting a set on the wall was sci fi. There were large deflection angle monochrome CRT sets coming out in the last couple of years of the 50's that were VERY thin. Infact I have an ad for a compact GE monochrome TV stereo console where they say that it can be set on a table, on the floor (with optional legs), or HUNG ON A WALL.

Infact I seem to recall reading a vintage article where an industry man is asked about what he thinks TVs will be like in the future, and he says that he envisions that eventually Tvs will be thin enough to hang on a wall.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-30-2011, 01:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

This flat CRT design is from the 50s... The Aken CRT:

http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...7&postcount=41

jr
Old 11-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
This flat CRT design is from the 50s... The Aken CRT:

http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...7&postcount=41

jr
That's an odd one!
I wonder what the size limit was on the Lollypop CRT's as used in the Sony Watchmans?
I suppose like any CRT the flat face would have to get exponentially thicker to withstand the pressure on it and it would weigh 200 lbs at 36 inches, it probably wouldn't be all that flat at that size either.

The GE sets mentioned above were probably their Slimline models, they used a 110 or 114 degree CRT, conventional tube but quite thin for the time.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:38 PM
M is for Memory

I don't know what the max size was on those lolipop CRTs, but I've seen an 8" one at the ETF.

Audiokarma
Old 11-30-2011, 11:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I don't know what the max size was on those lolipop CRTs, but I've seen an 8" one at the ETF.
Cool! I have never seen one larger than about 4" in the little S0ny walkman tvs, but possibly they made a larger version for a monitor or something... anybody got a pix of one?

http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...1&postcount=19

jr
Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 AM
M is for Memory

Here is the one I saw at the ETF.
http://earlytelevision.org/rca_flat_crt.html

Old 12-01-2011, 11:45 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
In the 60's I would not think that mounting a set on the wall was sci fi. There were large deflection angle monochrome CRT sets coming out in the last couple of years of the 50's that were VERY thin. Infact I have an ad for a compact GE monochrome TV stereo console where they say that it can be set on a table, on the floor (with optional legs), or HUNG ON A WALL.

Infact I seem to recall reading a vintage article where an industry man is asked about what he thinks TVs will be like in the future, and he says that he envisions that eventually Tvs will be thin enough to hang on a wall.
Mounting television receivers on walls may not have been science fiction in the 1950s-'60s, but, IMHO, it wouldn't have been practical for large sets (21 inches on up, as I will explain below). The reason is that most sets of that era, particularly table sets and the few portables available then, were in rather large, heavy metal cabinets with a cap on the back cover for the CRT neck. I doubt that such sets could be wall mounted because they were so heavy, and also because of the CRT cap. Any wall mounting arrangement for most '50s portable TVs would have to be made to support 50-60 pounds, as most of those sets weighed the proverbial ton. My aunt had a 1950s-vintage RCA Victor 17" portable (the same type of set as in VK member Adam's avatar) that must have weighed 40 pounds if it weighed an ounce; that set had a power transformer, 5U4 rectifier, and an all-metal chassis and cabinet. If this set were to be wall-mounted, the mount would have to be extremely sturdy; of course, any set larger than that would need a custom-made wall mount. I'd be extremely leery of wall-mounting a 23-inch 1950s table model B&W set because even the best and sturdiest mount made can fail -- and if a 23-inch or larger (!) CRT implodes when the set hits the ground .... I shudder to think of it. I would mount such a set in the wall instead.

The idea in the 1950s-'60s of a combination TV/radio/phonograph that could be wall mounted sounds incredible. How on earth did GE build that set so light and compact that the whole thing could be mounted on a wall, without causing the heck of a safety hazard? How many of these combos were made, and for that matter, how many different manufacturers made sets like this? I would guess not very many, and of those that were sold, I don't think many of them wound up on walls -- I would imagine most folks who bought these also invested in the optional legs, and used the sets as consolettes. RCA offered some of its mid-'60s metal-cabinet color sets (I had one) that had threaded holes in the base for legs, sold separately from the TV itself.

BTW, the man in that vintage TV article you mention was right on, as today's flat panel TVs are thin and light enough to hang on walls; in fact, a lot of folks do just that. I know someone who did this with a 70"(!) flat panel and turned one entire wall of his living room into a large-screen movie theater.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 12-01-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Here is the one I saw at the ETF.
http://earlytelevision.org/rca_flat_crt.html
WOW! thanks for the pix! Perhaps a beam index tube?

jr
Old 12-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Mark

Wow Eric, nice score! 50 bucks is super cheap for that now that she works!
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Audiokarma