Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Mark

The CTC 4 is finally home!

I went to Appleton last weekend to buy a CTC 4 and a CT-100 from Jim. I couldn't afford both sets but don't worry, the CT-100 found a very good home. However, I am a little bummed I didn't get it but MAYBE another one will come along. The 21-CT-660U CTC 4 has spent the last week at Bob Galanter's workshop. I went on this Saturday to pick it up and bring it to Kenosha. Bob and I tested the 21AXP22 CRT on his beltron and it was a very pleasing surprise, the tube came up almost right away and went to 85% and climbing on all three guns, the emissions are also equal on all three guns. This is very promising as the tube has been dormant for at least 20 years. a But there are many other issues that will have to be dealt with. The printed finish on the cabinet is shot and there is some nasty damage at the bottom left corner towards the back of the set. I am going over my options of what I should do. Fixing the damaged wood is not a problem, it's that finish. I wonder if there is anyone out there who can repair/replace this type of finish. The only other option is veneering the cabinet so it can be stained and lacquered. I really would like to keep it as original as possible. The chassis looks very nice and seems to have many of its original tubes although I cannot find a date code on them. It also has a very old RCA HOT tube, it's probably not but I wonder if it's original. The damper is broken but can be grabbed out by it's octal base with no trouble. There are a few hack jobs in the antenna wiring, I guess the antenna switch went bad at some point. That will be fixed when I have a picture on it. There are also some other broken/ disconnected wires but I really don't see any visible major issues with the chassis. The fuse is blown but that could be one of a million things, it will take time to figure out. The FBT is a little crappy looking with wax melted and dripping but those sometimes look worse than they really are. I will try and locate a replacement just incase. This set will most likely take everything I know plus more so I will be learning some new stuff on this one, that I can guarantee. It will be awhile before I start major work on this one, I am going to take care of the easier ones first and get them out of the way.
Also, the knobs have been broken and cobbled back together and the tube placement chart has been ripped out. When I was moving it the "D" got broken off of "Deluxe", It was bent and I just bumped it, these things happen.
If anyone has any of these it would be greatly appreciated.

Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 06-24-2008, 07:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

That is one really cool set and a awesome find.
Ed
Old 06-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yep...I second that. I'd try to find a good furniture refinisher, that may not be as big of a deal as we think.. I have an EXCELLENT one here, but that ain't really gonna help you up in Wisconsin...
Old 06-24-2008, 08:01 PM
AK Member

Nice set. I am surprised at how many old sets, especially Roundies that show up there in WI and in IL. I never see old sets in my area down here in TN.

I would recommend a good Furniture Refinisher also if you have to do it over. I have refinished several old things and it can be a pain. Mahogany is the hardest to re-do.

I refinished a old Mahogany desk recently and it took FOREVER to get the wood to stain properly and to apply three coats of clear coat, not to mention stripping off the old finish. I do recommend a chemical stripper for that.

Good luck with your project.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:18 PM
sampson159

another great find! remember that 4 at the convention this year? love that set. maybe you could sit it along side that 9? you know,the 9 you got at the etf convention this year? i cant wait to see it up and operating!! almost like a kid looking forward to christmas. both sets couldnt have found a better owner.
Audiokarma
Old 06-25-2008, 12:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thats one very nice CTC4. The restoration is a lot of the fun in owning an old color set! I wouldn't be able to wait to dig in