Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

The CED Magic site has some nice documentation and pictures of the first generation components.
http://www.cedmagic.com/museum/dimensia/dimensia.html
Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm1200 View Post
I had a broken 27" Dimensia with the SCART. (Bad power supply.) Unfortunately most of the pins were not hooked up to anything, pretty much just the composite video, left/right audio were paralleled with the video input. No RGB or S-Video input through the SCART.

I used to have the second-generation Dimensia receiver too, but without a working Dimensia TV to connect it to, there's nothing special about it. Just an extra RCA jack for the control system to connect with. It appeared to be made by Hitachi (who were also making some of RCA's VCRs around that time).
Oh no, I wanted the tv for the scart so I could get rgb from my game systems. I hope they are hooked up
Old 01-18-2013, 10:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

If that's the case I recommend you find a mid-80s Sony KV-20/25XBR or KX-19/2501. Those models have a "multi-input" connector that can be configured for analog RGB. I believe the pinout should be available from sources like pinouts dot ru, and the connector can be scavenged from a PC floppy drive cable.

I used to work as a co-op for IBM in the 90s, and at one point I got VGA RGB video to display on a KX-2501 they had lying around, using a video driver that output video with NTSC timing.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Some RCA sets of that era had RGB inputs, but they were only 1 bit TTL level input signal. Idea was that "Teletext" was expected to be the "next big thing" and that an RCA set top box (which never happened) was to receive, decode and feed RGB TTL signals into the set.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:18 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
Some RCA sets of that era had RGB inputs, but they were only 1 bit TTL level input signal. Idea was that "Teletext" was expected to be the "next big thing" and that an RCA set top box (which never happened) was to receive, decode and feed RGB TTL signals into the set.
Zenith was apparently expecting teletext to catch on some time in the '90s as well. I have a 19" Zenith table model TV, 1995 vintage, with settings on the "video" on-screen menu for two teletext modes, as well as settings for two closed-caption modes. In the four years I used this TV at my former residence, I never saw anything on either teletext mode, although someone told me some years ago that then-WTBS-TV in Atlanta was experimenting with teletext at the time (mid-'90s). Nothing ever became of that experiment that I could see.

I was not aware of RCA's teletext experiments, although if you say the set-top boxes that were supposed to decode the signals never materialized, then I guess their system never even came close to getting off the ground.

Teletext may be a dead issue today because of Internet-connectable Blu-ray players, smart TVs that also have Internet connectivity, and other devices that connect to the World-Wide Web, including smartphones, tablets, et al.

I think teletext, had it materialized, would have been a one-way system for the dissemination of news, weather, and sports updates, financial news, etc., not unlike today's MSNBC, et al. on cable TV.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma
Old 01-21-2013, 05:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did Curtis Mathes have a rebranded set up that was the Dimensia under the CM label?
I once saw a CM console set with the exact multi input/output connectors as the Dimensia series inclucing the SCART, and the epay auction site frequently has CM component audio pieces from that era that are remarkably similiar to the Dimensia component audio systems.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobtWB View Post
Did Curtis Mathes have a rebranded set up that was the Dimensia under the CM label?
I once saw a CM console set with the exact multi input/output connectors as the Dimensia series inclucing the SCART, and the epay auction site frequently has CM component audio pieces from that era that are remarkably similiar to the Dimensia component audio systems.
I was surprised to see a CM branded RCA. It looked like one of the wonderful CTC177 types. It's possible that they made a higher ended product like the dimensia.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I was not aware of RCA's teletext experiments, although if you say the set-
I think teletext, had it materialized, would have been a one-way system for the dissemination of news, weather, and sports updates, financial news, etc., not unlike today's MSNBC, et al. on cable TV.
Back in the day, I suggested that teletext mode could have been used as a display mode for a home computer (this was the 8 bit days of Atari 800's and Commodore 64s). Instead of a TV modulator sending the video from the computer onto channel 3 or 4, and that makes for low resolution, have the computer create a teletext style signal on that video signal, and the user switches the TV set to teletext mode, and he will get a nice sharp computer display. Submitted this idea to RCA's patent attornies, but they never did anything with it. Well, I did get other patents there.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Teletext seems like it would have been awesome. Shame it was never implemented in the US
Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

So my Scart cable for SNES arrived. I hooked it up, set the TV to input 3 and it does display audio and sound from the SNES console.

However, it doesn't really look any better over the composite input. I understand that SCART can display composite also, but there is no way to tell if you are using RGB or Composite video?
Audiokarma
Old 02-03-2013, 10:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

that is a 1989 model it was made in the 32 week of 88
Old 02-04-2013, 12:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
Thank you.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
Actually I have a question about this. So who actually made this set? Is it a Thomson since RCA sold out in 1986??? It's not a true RCA then.