Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

'60's Eastern germanium radio

Here's an interesting crystal radio that I picked up at the flea market. Here's the video I made of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm2j8t5Lwdw

Old 01-01-2013, 03:48 PM
catman

G'day mate, I had a crystal set like that when I was a kid although the slug tuning arrangement was much simpler. As I recall, 'it got me started' in radio/electronics! Regards, Felix (vk4fuq) aka catman.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
G'day mate, I had a crystal set like that when I was a kid although the slug tuning arrangement was much simpler. As I recall, 'it got me started' in radio/electronics! Regards, Felix (vk4fuq) aka catman.
Is that one of those "Rocket" radios? They had the little knob on the tip, that you slid in and out to tune.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 PM
catman

G'day all, it's a bit hard to recall now as it was many (yes) years ago, but as I vaguely recall, it was like a short whip antenna and its 'length' slug tuned its coil.

It did work ok as I recall. I thought it was all fascinating back then...'no batteries' (which it was and still is). Regards, Felix (vk4fuq) aka catman.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

My "1st" radio was an El Cheapo yellow/creme colored plastic 4 or 5 Toob set my dad got for me prolly 1964-65... It picked up the local Angel Modulation station, & that was all it did..I think it might have been one of those "No-Name" brand last-gasp Japanese tube sets they flooded the low-end market over here back then..I got one more or less like it offa E-bay a year or so back, that looked like it was never used..Took it to Terry, he couldn't make it work below approx 1000 KC...And he's got alignment stuff there, its just not too much of a radio...
Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very nice! Thanks for the video. That has a cool tuning arrangement.

On larger radios, permeability tuning was considered a step up from using a variable capacitor.

My first radio just prior to starting the 1st grade, back in the 1950s, was a Rocket Radio. I had an extended illness that required complete bed rest and my dad bought this for me to help pass the time.

I was able to receive a number of local stations during the day and even some DX (that is distant stations) at night, especially the clear channel 50 KW stations.

Thanks for the post, it brings back some nice memories.