Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:34 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

1966 NBC 96% color nightly

Slide of 1966 Florida street scene with truck bearing NBC ad - "96% color nightly"

According to the seller, this is Florida in 1966, but exactly where, I don't know.
Anybody recognize the street?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1966 NBC 96 percent color nightly.jpg (76.5 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 1966 NBC 96 percent color nightly zoom.jpg (103.6 KB, 119 views)
Old 11-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Well, I spy w/me widdle eye a Caddy Limo in front of the tudor Falcon, & it looks like the lady is walking by a Lincoln Continental..And it COULD be another Caddy or Connie in front of the Vomit station wagon... W/THAT many Bucks-Up cars, it would logically be pretty swanky area.. The Caddy limos from 1959-65 all looked pretty similar, the "Greenhouse"-Window areas- stayed identical, w/the 1959-style huge wraparound windshield, but the lower body sheet metal changed w/the various model years. However, the limo kept its "Dated" styling in '65, when the rest of the Cads got all-new bodies. The Limo finally got concurrent styling in '66, resulting in one of the most elegant cars GM ever produced.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

There's a 7 in the middle of the peacock and it looks like the call letters are WCKT, which was in Miami. It's on a Railway Express Agency truck (similar to UPS), so it must have been delivering packages.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

OT but close to the REA truck noticed. My first job in bcstng was at a local CBS station in Sept, 1969. One of my jobs was to go to the local Railway Express Agency to pick up the "bicycle" of tapes of the Phil Donahue show once a week in our Chevy station wagon. The amazing thing to me after all these years is that shows were delivered by rail to obscure sidings in corntowns. Five new shows in on 2" tape via the "bicycle" and five old shows out on 2" tape to the next station on the "bicycle". Those Donahue shows could have been five weeks old by the time they aired. The REA station was south Rockford, IL was a time capsule. It was on some rail siding that served Chicago and was complete with the handcart on the siding with wooden wheels and iron rims. It was 1889 again. I was a rookie and thought this was the way things were done.

The limo looks very 1964 to me. Now back to our Miami location topic.

Last edited by Dave A; 11-17-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
Just a bit OT. My first job in bcstng was at a local CBS station in Sept, 1969. One of my jobs was to go to the local Railway Express Agency to pick up the "bicycle" of tapes of the Phil Donahue show once a week in our Chevy station wagon. Five new shows in on 2" tape via the "bicycle" and five old shows out on 2" tape to the next station on the "bicycle". Those Donahue shows could have been five weeks old by the time they aired. The REA station was south Rockford, IL was a time capsule. It was on some rail siding that served Chicago and was complete with the handcart on the siding with wooden wheels and iron rims. It was 1889 again. I was a rookie and thought this was the way things were done.
Great story! Wasn't Donahue taped in Chicago? Seems like from Rockford it would have been faster and maybe cheaper to just drive over and get them.
Audiokarma
Old 11-17-2013, 06:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

egrand, Donahue started out in Dayton, OH in the late 60's and moved to syndication in the 70's still from Dayton when the concept of the "bicycle" was new to move a weeks worth of tapes from station to station for daily air on a weekly basis. Syndication had been around for years for weekly shows like the Lone Ranger and the Cisco Kid but they were weekly film shows. I stlll had to pick up the 2" tapes for daily tape shows. He moved to Chicago in 1974. By then I was not driving the Chevy wagon but was a local tv director.

Last edited by Dave A; 11-17-2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: As my memory returns.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:50 PM
"Book em Dano!"

BTW, that caddy sieries 75 is a 63 or 64
Old 11-17-2013, 08:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
64 to be precise. In front of the van looks like maybe another Comet, a 65 Riviera, a 66 Toronado, and a 59 Caddy. Beyond, that I'm not sure.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:56 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
What did I tell youse guys, a few posts above ? The ONLY way to visually tell a 1964 Caddy 75 from a 1965 was the "3-ring" whitewalls that were OEM on the '65s.. Otherwise, they were IDENTICAL.. Caddy sold about 1500 or so 75 limos & sedans-the 75s had a partition & the sedans didn't-Thruout this era..
Old 11-17-2013, 08:02 PM

Googling around has not found it. "Florida exclusive shopping" found Lincoln Ave in Miami Beach, which is currently a pedestrian mall with no buildings like those in the slide. I tried "shopping arcade" because of the building named "North Arcade," and found Flagler Street in Miami, but again nothing like it. This whole block may have been rebuilt in the last 47 years.
Audiokarma
Old 11-17-2013, 08:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Googling around has not found it. "Florida exclusive shopping" found Lincoln Ave in Miami Beach, which is currently a pedestrian mall with no buildings like those in the slide. I tried "shopping arcade" because of the building named "North Arcade," and found Flagler Street in Miami, but again nothing like it. This whole block may have been rebuilt in the last 47 years.
Googled Myers Luggage and got 329 Clematis St. in West Palm Beach. That's not the same building, but they're still in business and use the same logo! They obviously moved since '66.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrand View Post
Googled Myers Luggage and got 329 Clematis St. in West Palm Beach. That's not the same building, but they're still in business and use the same logo! They obviously moved since '66.
311 Worth Avenue, West Palm Beach Florida. Google Maps shows it quite clearly as the street in the OP's picture.

It was fun finding it!

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 09-29-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

The first year for that style of Falcon was 1966.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
311 Worth Avenue, West Palm Beach Florida. Google Maps shows it quite clearly as the street in the OP's picture.

It was fun finding it!

Cheers,
THANKS! I just sent email to Myers before seeing your post. Maybe they'll enjoy answering, anyway.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

can't help noticing how much classier the lady is dressed in the mid 60's and how much cooler and varied the style of the cars were.

High price country in and around palm beach.
Audiokarma