Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hallicrafters T-54 A request and a rambling story

Hi,
Do any of you have access to a parts list for a Hallicrafters T-54. I have PDF's of Riders and Sams but neither of them includes a parts list. I'm about to order caps for a Stewart-Warner that's been sitting around the house unplayable for too long, and after that I think I want to start on my T-54. I'd just as soon order everything at once, but I would prefer not to have to pore over the schematics trying to find them all.

Now the rambling story -- feel free to stop reading when you get bored.

This was the first TV my dad owned. I'm pretty sure he bought it the same year I was born, so both the tv and I are 66. It stopped working some time in the late 50's or early 60's. Around 1975 a friend and I, with more enthusiasm than sense, decided to see if we could get it working again. I dragged it into my advisor's lab at Drexel University, set it on an unused bench and we began.

Seriously ignorant of the properties of 28 year old paper caps, we only replaced the electrolytics and any other caps that were actually bad. The only electrolytics of the proper size that we could find locally (dang I wish I could find ANYTHING locally today) were in cans, so we wrapped them in balloons and covered them with many layers of friction tape. Finding the 0.05uF 6000V vertical coupling caps was a bit of a challenge, but we finally found them at Camden Radio in downtown Camden NJ. I am pretty sure we were more nervous about driving into downtown Camden than we were about the 6000 volts.

Anyway, we got it to the point where all the voltages were within spec and we had a pretty nice picture on the tube. Enjoyed turning it on from time to time and showing it off, but some time about a dozen years ago it stopped working.

So, my wife and I have been moving stuff out of a room so it can be repainted, and two of the things that we unearthed were the S-W mentioned above and the Hallicrafter's TV. She doesn't really want them to go back into the room until they are working, hence my desire to start ordering caps. I'll plan on doing it right this time. I only hope that the 7JP4 is still in good shape.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just over a month ago I bought a Delco TV-71 which used the T-54 chassis. Here's the thread I started: http://videokarma.org/showthread.php...ighlight=delco

What I found out was there are two versions of that chassis, the earlier used 6SH7 tubes, the later used 6AU6. There are some other differences too.

If you have the 6SH7 version, I have the Sams for it and there is a parts list. Let me know and I'll PM it to you.

Unfortunately, you'll have to order from at least two places. Allied Electronics is the only place I could find the 6000v caps. The rest of my order was split between Allied and Mouser. I only ordered caps for now, I figure I'll work on resistors as I go along and see what needs replacing.

Here's bandersen's youtube series on restoring his 506 which uses the 6AU6's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER5mlvmi8EQ

I haven't had time to even touch mine yet. It's still sitting on my porch waiting for my TLC. Haven't had a free weekend in ages where I can just sit down and spend a few hours working on it.

Here's a
Old 08-15-2013, 05:11 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulOF View Post
Hi,
Do any of you have access to a parts list for a Hallicrafters T-54. I have PDF's of Riders and Sams but neither of them includes a parts list.
You did not say if your set was the early or late model.

The Sam's schematic for the late (6AU6 IF) model at

http://www.earlytelevision.org/tv_sc..._diagrams.html

included a parts list.

James
Old 08-15-2013, 05:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I should have mentioned the 6SH7 Sams I have is in PDF too.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Egrand and Earlyfilm,
Thank you so much for answering and your offers of help. Mine is the newer model and I just grabbed the sams from the site Earlyfilm cited. Thank you again,
Paul
Audiokarma
Old 08-15-2013, 06:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's a 505 restoration article that you may find interesting:

http://antiqueradio.org/halli505.htm

I believe you can order 6KV caps from http://www.justradios.com/ as well as Allied.

I was thinking I had restored mine not too long ago, but the article has a screen shot from the 2002 Academy Awards show -- time flies!

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 08-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Eternal Member

You will find this series of Hallicrafters made chassis used in several sets including the Delco TV-71, Hallicrafters T-54, 505, 506 and 514 and I've seen a 1948 Firestone that looked a lot like this set, but I've never had a chance to examine one.

The made a lot of production changes during that time, so your parts list might not be 100% correct.

In the below linked thread, we discovered that a Hallicrafters and a Delco came down the same production line one day apart and by the 88's in both rubber stamps that had been inserted upside down, probably indicated the same inspector checked both.

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=256167

When I mentioned "late production" back then, I was referring to late as meaning after Hallicrafters eliminated channel one on the sets, not which IF strip was used.

Jas.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

So, am I the only one on here that has one of these sets that use the 6SH7 tubes?

I know the paper tag is missing on mine, so is there another way to find out the build date?
Old 08-16-2013, 01:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Doesn't mouser have 6000 volt caps ? or antique radio supply ?

mike
Old 08-16-2013, 01:56 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Just Radios does.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma