Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:47 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Thanks for posting - I now realize I have that ad too - but it is so unrecognizable that I didn't realize it was the same set.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:28 PM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D.
IMO, I don't think Motorola planned to sell many of these sets. They just wanted the public to know they were in the game.
I think you're right... color was somewhat of a let down at first, and prices were too high for the amount of broadcasting. The 1955 Motorola color set ads at least included a price. Seems I have one ad from '55 that was priced at $895.00... that was the 19" roundie.

Too bad it isn't possible to find out how many of these sets were made in '56. I bet there's more of the '56 models out there... it's just a matter of finding them. I also wonder if the 56 models were any cheaper that the 55's.

The 21CT2M was finished in mahogany (like mine). The 21CT2B was finished in oak.

JRoberts, since you were a kid at the time when you were watching that 60's Motor, maybe those knobs just seemed bigger. Now that you're bigger, the knobs seem smaller! I recall a time in which I thought my grandmother was tall. Nowadays, she's pretty damn short!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

In another thread I showed a pic of the channel knob on a TS-905 (I was trying to i.d. it) so they sold a few anyhow. Pretty sad, somebody around here once had one & now all is left is that knob!
Old 09-06-2005, 12:23 PM
On Land

You still have that knob????

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

you bet! its not mint but not bad.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:35 AM
Banned

Smile

JRoberts, since you were a kid at the time when you were watching that 60's Motor, maybe those knobs just seemed bigger. Now that you're bigger, the knobs seem smaller! I recall a time in which I thought my grandmother was tall. Nowadays, she's pretty damn short!

Charlie,
You are probably correct. However, I must see the other Motorola color models of the early '60's to know for certain. I must test my memory on anything I can prove or disprove in order to have more confidance in what cannot be proven. I have always believed that more harm than good is done to all concerned when we give information that is incorrect.
So, apparently there were three chassis' and I guess each chassis had it's own different knob set-up. I have seen the TS-907 and TS-916, thanks to everybody's generosity, but I'm thinking the TS-912 may be different.
Earlier when I first saw the TS-912 on that Sam's folder I was certain I had not seen that knob set-up before and wrote that in the reply. Days went by and I came to believe I saw that set/knob design in an old TV shop in St. Petersburg. It was Ken's TV and my boss, Ed Callahan of Ed's TV, was in conversation while I wondered through this old shop that was filled with old TV's. This was around '79 and I thought the place was very spooky but liked seeing the stuff. It seemd as though the sets came in and never left. I had the impression Ken was not too good with TV's as he was questioning Ed about a little '75 SONY 5"(or so) color set which we took with us and I later toyed with but had no clue of what to do more than to take it apart. Well, I think I saw, for about 4 seconds, the same knob layout on that Sam's picture of the TS-907. I was looking for a '67 RCA color remote control for the home entertainment center I loved so much. I found one that I later repaired the printed circuit board in.
Ponitless excercise? I think not.
Thanks for the help.
Have a nice day!
John

Last edited by jroberts500; 09-20-2005 at 07:49 AM.