Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Administrator

What is this thing?

Working on this old Silvertone ac/dc farm set, and I ran across something I've never seen. Here's a picture of what I found.....I've been told they are a battery of some kind. One is complete with the little discs, and one is missing them.

I've also attached a schematic of the radio.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3220.jpg (71.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg schematic.jpg (105.5 KB, 61 views)
Old 10-11-2013, 01:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Haven't seen it applied in this position. For a few years at the end of the thirties/early forties, little cells like this were used to provide negative grid bias, usually to the first audio tube. This looks like it works back to the IF grid. I see another one down by the voltage changeover switch. A bit headachey trying to trace what they do!

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's a bias cell. Well two cells actually. See..
http://aqcollection.com/antique-radio/article-3119.html
If you use watch batteries for replacement, be sure to observe polarity.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Two questions:

1. With the radio in AC mode, is it necessary?

2. Can these be replaced with capacitors?
Old 10-11-2013, 01:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

You can use watch batteries, not caps. When used to bias a first audio tube, it's possible to replace the bias cell with a high value (several megohm) grid resistor, but not sure how they work in your radio.

Audiokarma
Old 10-11-2013, 04:33 PM
M is for Memory

I have an AC Grunow teledial table set that uses them. I have not checked if the cells are still good, but after a recap it still works with the originals.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-12-2013, 06:57 AM
Administrator

I recapped the radio, and everything seems to work, yet I get no stations whatsoever. Problem is that a couple of the tubes I can't test on my tester, there are no roll chart listings for them. I'm just going to end up replacing them, but I'm not sure if those cells could be the issue.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:41 AM
Motorola Minion

Try swapping the two 1P5s and see what happens.

Did you try connecting signal generator at IF frequency to the 1A7 grid and IF 1P5?
Old 10-12-2013, 06:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

This set has the filaments connected in series. In a dark room if you can see the dim glow of any of the 1-volt tubes, then all the filaments are OK, which is where to start. Another check would be to do a continuity test on the filament pins of the tubes that won't go in the tube tester.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:07 PM
<----Zenith C845

One note of caution: If you use an ohmmeter to check continuity of tube filaments in battery radios, many of which used 1- or three-volt tubes, you are taking a very real risk of burning out the filaments in the blink of an eye. Many older VOMs/VTVMs (vacuum tube voltmeters) had one or more batteries used only on the resistance ranges; if there is more than one such battery in the meter you are using, it may well blow the filaments long before you realize any damage has been done. I don't know whether or not today's digital multimeters use these batteries, but if they do, the same thing can happen if the meter is used to test tube filaments. Six- and 12-volt tubes in AC-powered radios, however, can be tested using a modern DMM if you don't have a tube tester.

I'm not sure why the battery radio tubes are so sensitive to burnout if tested using a standard ohmmeter. My best guess, however, is that these filaments are made of very thin wire which can be burned open before you know it if subjected to higher than normal voltages; this could go at least double for battery radio tubes that used the filament as the cathode, for almost instantaneous operation as soon as the radio is switched on.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma
Old 11-02-2013, 03:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

You could use a DVM to see if the voltages on the filament string decrease as you progress from one tube to the next. And see if the voltage drops are consistent with the specs of the tubes.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

I really doubt that any decent modern meter presents a danger to battery tube filaments. Most of these require a filament current of 150 milliamps to operate, although some tiny hearing aid tubes require only 20 or 50 milliamps. I spot checked a couple of modern DMMs and found that they only supply less than 1/2 milliamp to measure ohms... not a problem! Although many DMMs are *powered * by a 9 Volt battery, the current supplied for resistance measurement is indeed quite small.

I have no doubt that somebody at some time, using a very primitive ohm meter did, indeed blow a filament of a battery tube (I have read the same warnings before in old electronics magazines), but it is highly unlikely with decent modern meters.

If concerned, simply *measure* the amperage delivered by your ohm meter in various ohm ranges.

jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 11-03-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:46 PM
a- v- karma member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
I really doubt that any decent modern meter presents a danger to battery tube filaments. Most of these require a filament current of 150 milliamps to operate, although some tiny hearing aid tubes require only 20 or 50 milliamps. I spot checked a couple of modern DMMs and found that they only supply less than 1/2 milliamp to measure ohms... not a problem! Although many DMMs are *powered * by a 9 Volt battery, the current supplied for resistance measurement is indeed quite small.

I have no doubt that somebody at some time, using a very primitive ohm meter did, indeed blow a filament of a battery tube (I have read the same warnings before in old electronics magazines), but it is highly unlikely with decent modern meters.

If concerned, simply *measure* the amperage delivered by your ohm meter in various ohm ranges.

jr
Most of the battery type tubes (such as 1R5, 1T4, 1U4, 1U5, etc.)
have 50-mA heaters. Just connect your ohmmeter to a milliammeter
of adequate range to check the current supplied.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroking View Post
Most of the battery type tubes (such as 1R5, 1T4, 1U4, 1U5, etc.)
have 50-mA heaters.
OOPS! I grabbed a common portable radio tube, a 1R5 and looked it up, knowing that all of these common tubes draw the same current. Unfortunately, I read the current for the tube above in the manual, a 1R4 which does indeed draw 150 ma heater current.

The conclusion is still the same, these battery radio tubes draw far more current than a a modern DMM can deliver when measuring ohms.

jr
Old 11-13-2013, 02:28 AM
Administrator

I really have to get back on this radio