Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

The consensus seems to be that it is dead, and only of little nostalgic value. I don't think I'll dip my toe back into the water. Better off looking for an old 8 track tape recorder. Or a Betamax.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:26 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

I bought a midland 40 channel at a thriftstore for $10 last summer. Hooked it up, and only heard static on all the channels, even on my other radios, its quiet around here... Have my radios and homebase antenna should the "Chit hit the fan".

SR
Old 05-06-2018, 09:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobtubeman View Post
"Chit hit the fan"
It'll be an EMP that destroys all semiconductor devices and only good ol vacuum tube electronics will work , so yea , toss anything named "Midland" and find some old tube stuff if you want communication after "the big one" .

And no , not in the least a "prepper" , but I know a couple of people who are . I'm more of a realist , when the proverbial poop hits the rotary impeller there won't be any of us left to worry about CB radios anyway
Old 05-06-2018, 10:09 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
It'll be an EMP that destroys all semiconductor devices and only good ol vacuum tube electronics will work , so yea , toss anything named "Midland" and find some old tube stuff if you want communication after "the big one" .

And no , not in the least a "prepper" , but I know a couple of people who are . I'm more of a realist , when the proverbial poop hits the rotary impeller there won't be any of us left to worry about CB radios anyway
Not all bad EMPs are manmade; in the 1800's there was a really bad one caused by sunspot activity interacting with earth's atmosphere. In a peacetime EMP event having the equip that still works in volume is an equation for overnight wealth.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-06-2018, 10:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've got a couple full power 40ch walkie talkies and a Uniden? 29 channel mobile unit. I don't hear much chatter here, but on my vacation a couple years ago we used one of the walkies and the rig in my friends Jeep to talk between vehicles. My friend and his Jeep club use CB radios while out wheelin', cuz it works without cell towers.

I'm gonna set up a rig in my truck once I'm done replacing the engine

And as far as the EMPs, that's why I have been into battery powered tube radios lately.
Audiokarma
Old 05-06-2018, 05:30 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post

Also have a tube type Johnson and an old Citiphone CB, so im covered..

SR
Old 05-07-2018, 11:25 AM
Motorola Minion

Yes, I hear nothing but static from my two* though this state is loaded with trucks, terminals, warehouses and a legendary-screwy highway system. Inoperative CB antennas are probably the only thing affecting that and new ones for $30 can be had at any truck stop

*I've got a 23-ch Granada and a 40-channel Cobra in my junque attic and Id dump both if I'd pick up an RCA tubed-CB that presents itself. Lots of the Hams I know started with CB then "graduated" to the 40m band.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:36 AM
Motorola Minion

I last used mine in the mid-80s when the speed traps were so bad along a 125 mile trip from PA down to the DC area. Then, the band was loaded with d-bags and blowhards - but the chatter always included useful smokey reports, traffic issues and most importantly beaver sightings

My brother had a base and mobile in the mid 70s-80s during sunspot peaks IIRC. I did all the soldering and cable terms on his various site antennas like a half-wave dipole. He knew all the local yokels for a 20 mile radius, but calls it Children's Band now.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 05-07-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:49 PM
David Thomas

There's not much going on in my area on AM on the citizens band, but there is some sideband activity (especially when the band opens).
Old 05-09-2018, 07:57 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1210
It's been a long time since I had a CB radio. Are they still used much? I don't hear much about them these days.
My antenna blew down or I would still use mine alot.....I love analogue communications
Audiokarma