Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-22-2002, 02:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Dear Rob.....

Believe me guys I am not unsympathetic to family or relationship problems. But with all due respect and sensitivity, I think we're starting to stray from vintage television.

Last edited by Steve D.; 11-22-2002 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:55 PM
Banned

off topic posts

Rob, John,

SteveD is right on. You guys stop this off-topic chatter or I will be forced to delete your posts.

Thank you Steve for bringing this to my attention!

Rob
Vintage TV Moderator
Old 11-23-2002, 06:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

First, I think the nature of the thread itself leads to some off-topic chatter, and maybe the thead should be part of the section of AK that's specifically intended for off-topic posts. Perhaps the thread should be kept in vintage tv but subtitled as borderline off-topic.

Returning to the topic at hand, I've been working on solutions to some engineering questions related to vintage electronics that don't necessarily require several hours of uninterrupted bench time. Ultimately, I hope to find ways to save picture tubes that were once considered unsalvageable and to make reproductions available for a broader spectrum of parts than the backs and high-voltage cages I've already developed. I'm still waiting for results on reproduction flybacks.
Old 11-23-2002, 07:50 AM
wvsaz

Quote:
Originally posted by jshorva65
Ultimately, I hope to find ways to save picture tubes that were once considered unsalvageable and to make reproductions available for a broader spectrum of parts than the backs and high-voltage cages I've already developed. I'm still waiting for results on reproduction flybacks.
Don't forget Yokes.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yokes and other inductive and/or magnetic components are of interest. Flybacks are the first step since I have a set in the shop right now that needs one. Any immediate need for a specific type of yoke? The make and part number appear to be all the information that my source needs in order to produce a part. They do yokes in addition to flybacks, but I believe I'm the first in quite a few years to request reproduction of vintage parts.
Audiokarma
Old 11-23-2002, 01:51 PM
Banned

Is this thread drifiting off-topic?????

JohnS, All,

SteveD was right in mentioning that this thread which started out by Charlie posting about vintage automobile climate controls, and just seemed to develop a life of its own about other 'stuff' not purely TV related is off-topic. Since I'd hate to quench what I see is a great light-hearted exchange going on here I would suggest that anyone like John who has just posted serious vintage TV stuff, in this case about reproduction vintage TV parts, should consider starting a thread on that subject and move their appropriate comments now in this thread, over to the new one. Likewise i guess those nice 30A13 Admiral pictures should go over to "Show us your vintage B&W sets". However.....

I'd like to leave this thread going and let it take its course. I could make it 'sticky' and change the name to "hey!" or "wuzup?" or something, then we'd all know it was for shooting the breeze, and could 'keep it on topic'. Waddayathink?

Part of my rationale is that anyone who thinks filling their house full of non-working 50+ year old consoles is a cool thing to do has to have a different view of the world right? Such views might be more eccentric than you'd find in a general off-topic discussion forum and should therefore get their own forum.

Respectfully submitted,
Rob (I was born eccentric) TV
Old 11-23-2002, 03:55 PM
On Land

apologies

Rob and everyone else,

Sorry... I started this mess unintentionally. Things here in the vintage tv department got somewhat quiet for a couple of days. I guess I was curious of where everybody went. I had been working on the heat in the car, and figured everyone else was probably doing other work at home as well.

There are sooo many days in which we have great posts with interesting pictures of sets that make our mouths water and our eyes light up! I was starting to miss seeing everyone putting new posts in Vintage Television, and figured that asking "Where did everybody go?" would get the ball rolling again. Just didn't realize the ball would roll out of control.

Charlie

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

New thread

Hey Rob,
I think an informal thread about the trials and tribulations of us collectors is a cool idea. I'm sure there are plenty of problems that we all share that are both tv related and just plain "shit happens" stuff, that other forum members might enjoy hearing about, and perhaps replying to with advice or their own similar stories. ie: I replied in the middle of the recent Admiral postings about our families first tv. It wasn't a technical reply but kinda related to the subject. I appreciate John's plight. There hasn't been any new posting in the color tv thread for a while and I miss the exchanges.

Last edited by Steve D.; 11-23-2002 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Great Thread!

Charlie, I think this has been a great thread, I was wondering where everybody had gone too.

We perhaps drifted a bit off the subject of old TV's but there have been some good posts on that subject too.

BTW, what is the deal with the voting for a thread, I have voted on some but the only ones I see that has ratings are the "Show us your..." threads?

<tv content> The transformer in this GE I'm working on seems to be shorted, I removed it completely from the chassis and powered it up through a 150 watt bulb and the bulb lights brightly, an amp meter shows a 1.00 amp draw with no load? (using the bulb)
The Sams says it's 2 ohms across the primarys which is pretty close so maybe I have a shorted secondary?

I don't have the nerve to hook the trans directly to line voltage and see what happens, perhaps I will take it to work and do that, blow their circuit breakers and not mine.

Usually I can power an entire set up with the 150 w bulb.</tv content>

Eric
Old 11-23-2002, 05:41 PM
On Land

Eric,

If you find that the short is in a secondary winding, and find which one it's in, perhaps you could eliminate that particular winding from the chassis connections. Then, if you happen to have another old transformer laying around that has a secondary winding with the same value or pretty close as your shorted winding, you could wire that one into the circuit where the shorted winding was.

This, of course will depend on a couple of other things... First, whether or not the short in the origional winding is within itself or possibly shorted to one of the other windings. This idea would only apply if the short is within one winding itself. Second, if you do have another transformer with a winding close to or the same as the shorted one, will the size of that transformer be too big to place somewhere in the cabinet since this will put two trasnformers in the set?

Man, that was a mouthful... did I get the idea across? Sometimes I can see something in my mind so clearly, but have trouble putting it in words!

You guys think this will work? Or would it cause other problems?

Audiokarma
Old 11-23-2002, 05:58 PM
Banned

Re: Great Thread!, Discussion Thread to be established.

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric H
Charlie, I think this has been a great thread, I was wondering where everybody had gone too.

We perhaps drifted a bit off the subject of old TV's but there have been some good posts on that subject too.

BTW, what is the deal with the voting for a thread, I have voted on some but the only ones I see that has ratings are the "Show us your..." threads?

<tv content> The transformer in this GE I'm working on seems to be shorted, I removed it completely from the chassis and powered it up through a 150 watt bulb and the bulb lights brightly, an amp meter shows a 1.00 amp draw with no load? (using the bulb)
The Sams says it's 2 ohms across the primarys which is pretty close so maybe I have a shorted secondary?

I don't have the nerve to hook the trans directly to line voltage and see what happens, perhaps I will take it to work and do that, blow their circuit breakers and not mine.

Usually I can power an entire set up with the 150 w bulb.</tv content>

Eric
Eric,

If you have removed all secondary loads, i.e. tubes that use the filament windings, the rectifier tube, that uses the HV winding and can light a 100 watt lamp in series with the AC line input (primary winding) you either have a short in a socket on the chassis somewhere, or your transformer has a short inside. If it is the transformer, remove it from the chassis, take off the end bells and perhaps you will be able to find the short. For testing purposes the series lamp is great. You can also place 120 volts across the HV B+ winding and the transformer will be less stressed if there is an internal sort. If the xfmer is good you would read a voltage on the 120 volt primary winding which is equal to the step up ratio of the 120 to the HV. Maybe about 120 volts divided by six, or 20 volts AC, if the primary is good.

You really should have posted that question in the "My GE has a shorted power transformer forum"!

All,

I'm going to stick this thread to the top of the line and re-name it. It will be our own TV forum general discussion thread. Topics do not have to be TV related as long as they are posted by someone who have themselves, or personally know someone that has seen a TV, preferably of some vintage. Until I get a round tuit, please continue to post off-topic discussions here.

I do not know how one rates a thread, or where our 5 stars came from. I don't think those stars is anything bad though.

Thanx all for great conversations and posts.

Rob

Last edited by Rob; 11-24-2002 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Water

I'll pull the ends off this thing Monday at work ,I don't have a decent flat head screwdriver here at the house and those dang screws are tight!

I washed this set out with the hose, (see the attn:charlie thread)
and got some water inside the trannie, possibly this caused the short.

Originally when I powered it up the bulb would flicker and flash like the trans was frying. I baked it in the oven to dry it and now it's a steady light but far too much current is flowing.

I have a tranny from a 7" Admiral that might be about right, can't remember if it has a 5 volt winding though.

I have another from a KCS 47 RCA but it has about 375 volts coming out of it as opposed to the 275 called for in the GE, things might start popping with that much juice
Old 11-23-2002, 10:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

A transformer with a shorted secondary CANNOT be used in the circuit because the short is INSIDE the transformer and cannot be cleared by merely disconnecting the loads from the affected winding. If the short is in one of the filament windings, then the winding may be removed and re-wound since the filament windings are the outermost windings. Power transformer anatomy follows some simple conventions. The 120V primary winding is almost always the innermost winding, followed by the HV secondary winding, then the lower-voltage secondaries (bias windings - common in guitar and hi-fi amp transformers), then the filament windings. Rewinding an entire transformer is feasible, but it is quite time-consuming and very labor intensive. It involves taking the core apart and building a jig (rotating block with a crank - like a simplified fishing reel) to hold the windings. Slit the layers of paper, unwind and count the turns of each winding, take notes and make sketches. Obtain magnet wire of the proper sizes to match the original windings and use paper like the original (heavy Kraft paper) to separate the layers of windings. Neatness counts and it takes practice. Refer to "Construction Practices and Data Tables" section of an old copy of The Radio Amateur's Handbook. I have the 1975 edition which still featured a fair amount of tube data. I hope this helps.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:19 AM
Banned

xfmer troubleshooting.

John,

I was not suggesting that a transformer with a shorted winding could be used simply by disconnecting the load from that winding. I was merely trying to suggest a troubleshooting technique. A shorted socket, or other circuit fault can make the transformer look like it has a shorted winding unless disconnected from the transformer.

Are my communications skills that bad?

Rob

Addendum: Oh, I see that you must have been referring to CharlieT's reply. John is right Charlie. If any individual winding within the xfmer has an internal short to itself, the transformer cannot be used at all, unless this short can be found and cut open. Otherwise smoke will come out. Just disconnecting that winding from the circuit won't help.

Sure reduces confusion by addressing people by name don't you think?

Last edited by Rob; 11-24-2002 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:56 PM
On Land

Shorts

Ok fellas... I see where ya'll are coming from. Just out of curiousity, about how many hours does it take to rewind an average power transformer? Sounds like a good day's work! Perhaps rainy day activities.

Audiokarma