Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-18-2002, 08:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nostalgia attack

Hey Guys,
Thanks for posting the pictures of the Admiral. This model was the first tv my family ever owned. I still remember my dad unpacking the Admiral and setting it up in the living room. That was in 1949. Yikes! I remember unscrewing that wooden plate on the speaker grill. My folks were not pleased. We replaced it several years later with a 21" Admiral my dad built into the wall.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Wood Plate

Steve, you don't suppose Robs set with the missing wood center is your... Naaah
Old 11-18-2002, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Electromagnetic Speakers

Rob, another set with an Electromagnet speaker is the Philco 7"
I think the RCA 721TS does also, as well as an electromagnetic Ion trap.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:03 PM
Banned

Eric,

Hmmmm. You might be right. I haven't looked inside my RCA 721TS yet since I got it 2 years ago from the Karmameister.

I don't own any 7" vintage Philco TV's like the 50-702 (envy) so I wouldn't know about those.

Rob
Old 11-18-2002, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Two Years!!

Rob, you've had a 721 for two years and haven't done anything to it?!?!?

Good lord man, grab a pot of Coffee and a soldering iron and get busy!
Audiokarma
Old 11-19-2002, 12:16 AM
Banned

Eric,

I just have too many irons in the fire. BTW, big announcement coming shortly.

Rob

Last edited by Rob; 11-19-2002 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

rob...

is it going to be a boy .. or girl?? hehehe
(the big news you talked about in your last post..)..

terry
Old 11-19-2002, 10:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Rob,
Did you say you had to many "ions" in the fire.
So, shoot me for the bad pun.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:13 PM
wvsaz

Re: Electromagnetic Speakers

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric H
Rob, another set with an Electromagnet speaker is the Philco 7"
I think the RCA 721TS does also, as well as an electromagnetic Ion trap.
My console RCA 721TCS has a 12-inch electromagnetic speaker, as well as electromagnetic ion trap and focus coil.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:22 PM
Banned

Re: rob...

Quote:
Originally posted by wiseguy
is it going to be a boy .. or girl?? hehehe
(the big news you talked about in your last post..)..

terry
Terry,

I'm completely innocent. That was kama's post I believe.

Rob
Audiokarma
Old 11-21-2002, 07:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm still here

Yes, I'm also still here. I've got a large group of house guests at the moment (it seems like I'm running a hotel for my girlfriend's family). No one is paying rent and they always seem to need my help with something just as I'm heading downstairs to the workbench. At the moment, I've got a customer's CTC4 chassis on the bench waiting for word from Wintron Technologies about the possibility of getting a custom-made exact replacement for the Flyback and a Bendix chassis for another customer. I told the Bendix set's owner that there was an RCA color chassis ahead of his Bendix before he shipped it, so he's expecting about a month's lead-time on his restoration. I guess I'll ask one of my "guests" to help me pack the CTC4 for storage until the new flyback is ready (it would be the third time I've asked him). Of course, he'll want his CD player fixed next in exchange for his help with steadying that RCA chassis while I bubble-wrap it. I think my gf is about to become an ex since she expects consideration from me that she's demonstrated herself to be unwilling to reciprocate. I say "No more rent-free boarders." and they bring their luggage in as soon as I leave the house for more than an hour. No idea when I'll have time to restore any of my own sets, because the customers' sets are first in line, but I'm not really worried as long as I can still get parts when I have time to work on them.

Last edited by jshorva65; 11-21-2002 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:34 AM
On Land

Clicker

I got a clicker from a friend yesterday. He didn't know exactly when it was from, but he figured it was old enough for me to want!

It only has one button to change the channel. Made for RCA. Anyone seen one like this or have an idea when it was from? I would guess late 60's to early 70's? The button pulls backwards to click it. Doesn't look interesting at all, but it seems to function. Perhaps someone out there could use it.

Charlie

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:54 AM
Banned

Re: I'm still here

Quote:
Originally posted by jshorva65
Yes, I'm also still here. I've got a large group of house guests at the moment (it seems like I'm running a hotel for my girlfriend's family). No one is paying rent ...
John,

Sounds like you have found yourself in a completely intolerable situation. I certainly wouldn't be putting up with that nonsense. If you own the house or the lease is in your name, in Canada you call the cops and accuse someone of criminal tresspass and they are off the property instantly. This is a serious offense. Such action might put a damper on your relationship with the GF however, although it sounds like you don't really need one with all that 'baggage'.

Not trying to tell you what to do, but geeze, I don't like the sound of what you are going through at all.

Let us know how this resolves. We need you happy and concentrating on those vintage TV restorations!

Rob
Old 11-22-2002, 07:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

For the most part, I can deal with my GF's family in small doses. Extended stays like this week's situation are another story. I'm happy to report that the guests have gone home after 4 days here and even did a fair job of cleaning up after themselves. GF's daughter had outpatient knee surgery on Monday morning. Since the previous owner of my house was an older man who used a wheelchair, the extra-large shower with the pull-down seat is still installed in my downstairs bathroom. Next, Jan is going in for surgery that could have waited until after the Holidays, so I'll be helping her get back on her feet. Last week, we had the send-off for her son who was joining the Army. He's coming home for the Holidays after Basic Training, so he'll be somewhat helpful in fetching things for Jan while she's laid up. The issue is that it's one thing after another. About once a month, someone from her family spends a night sleeping on our couch after having words with his or her spouse. I can sometimes get some cheap work out of them to earn their keep for the night. I don't do well with ladders, so I convinced one relative to do some repairs on my rain gutters fairly cheap. These are the kind of people who'll paint your whole house for a few cases of cheap beer as long as you remember to not buy the beer until after the job is done. I really see the GF and me headed for a split sometime soon, though. She's a nice woman, but she's a little more "needy" than I can handle while I'm trying to get a business established. She'll probably end up rooming with her daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter. Jan and I almost split earlier this week, and Tom overheard some of the discussion. Tom volunteered to accept her as a roommate if we did split. Like I said, she's a great person but with a lot more baggage than I can help carry at this point in my life. I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:58 PM
Banned

John,

I wish you well. Your story makes me appreciate my quiet existence even more. All I have to worry about is the occasional quickly settled misunderstanding between my two darling cats (mother and son siblings), after which one or both of them ends up spending the night on my couch.

Unfortunately I cannot get any cheap work out of them at all, despite treats. They make for a lot more vacuuming than would otherwise be necessary, but I sure love 'em.

Rob

Last edited by Rob; 11-22-2002 at 01:01 PM.
Audiokarma