Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-08-2002, 07:34 AM
millerdog

antique TVs

this may sound lame to all of you: but what is it about old TVs that inspire you to collect them? Do you guys actually watch them? I mean if I collected them I would. But what is the attraction?
no offense, just wondering why.
md
Old 11-08-2002, 12:56 PM
Banned

Why???

Millerdog,

I have had a fascination with the technology since my youth and grew up with vacuum tube television, so for me part of the attraction to collect is a romantic/nostalgic connection with the past. I appreciate the complexity of these devices which were an invention still in their infancy in the early post war era, the era from which I collect. They are interesting, often attractive pieces of furniture, made out of real hardwood, not injection molded crap cookie-cuter, throw away boxes like todays TV's. Although they are more than half a century old, you can still make them work as well as new and they still work on the common broadcast format. That is a pleasant refrain, and certainly kinda cool in a world that has turned into an obsolete before you get it home/ throw it away speedway to hell.

Now that is amazing in itself, the good job that the scientists and engineers at RCA , other TV manufacturers, Bell Labs and the NTSC did defining a format back then which is capable of such quality color reproduction magnified on a 6x8 foot screen today in your home, but that is another story in itself!

Some people like to collect vintage automobiles. Collecting vintage TV's is a better hobby than that IMO because you don't need as much room and the old TV's don't leak oil on your floor.

Rob
Old 11-08-2002, 01:16 PM
On Land

A lot of people collect things whether it's something new or old... baseball cards, Star Trek, famous art work, music, automobiles... the list is endless. Our fascination is with vintage television and related items.

As far as why we collect them, we probably all have different reasons... and probably also have some of the same reasons. Style by itself is enough to make one take a closer look. Sets from 40 or 50 years ago are a hell of a lot more interesting looking than today's black box. The archaic looking electronics inside make one wonder how in the world a set can make a picture. There is also a feeling of self-satisfaction knowing that we might have saved and restored a piece of our American history... kinda like someone restoring an original 1969 Dodge Charger 426 Hemi or a 1957 Chevrolet. Then there is an educational sense... some younger generations see these sets and didn't even realize there was television in the 40's or 50's. Did you realize there was television back in the 20's? It was definitely crude by today's standards, but it was there.

Do we watch these? Sure! No use in having it if you can't watch it! Most of them didn't have remote control, and the ones that did probably got lost over the years, but does it mean the set can't still be watched? Hopefully we haven't grown so lazy that we can't get our asses up off the couch to change the channel! The picture and sound doesn't come on as soon as we pull the switch... we have to wait at least a minute before everything comes online and stabilizes, but I know I for one sure ain't in that much of a hurry to see on TV that someone got shot or robbed a bank. Besides, it will just be repeated on the news for the next few days and I'm sure to see it sooner or later.

One last thing... If for no other reason, many of these old sets actually have a market value. A few months ago, many of us watched a set on eBay from the 40's reach a high bid of over $11,000. Not too shabby for some old TV set that didn't even work! Not to say we're in it for the money, but it is nice to know that we collect something that has some kind of value.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.

Last edited by Charlie; 11-08-2002 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:26 PM
Banned

Charlie,

Prewar sets go in the ballpark you mention and even more. What 40's post-war B&W set went for $11K? That is a big surprise actually! I didn't follow that one.

BTW, the fact you point out that these old sets are going to have an increasing monetary value as time goes on is the last reason I have been collecting them, but will be a nice bonus someday for the owner of my collection.

Rob
Old 11-08-2002, 01:36 PM
On Land

Was trying to find the link to include it, but so far haven't. About two months ago, there was a set on ebay that was either a projection or mirror in the lid set... can't remember which. I think it went for 11,500. If anyone else remembers that auction, help refresh my memory!

Audiokarma
Old 11-08-2002, 03:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Charlie,

The set is a 1939 GE HM275-3A, you're close on the price. Here's a picture of it, in its new home.

BTW it actually does produce a picture even though it hasn't been restored yet.

Chuck
Old 11-08-2002, 03:46 PM
Banned

ChuckA,

That is one fine prize! Sure looks to be well cared for. Nice!

Rob
Old 11-08-2002, 04:11 PM
On Land

Yep! That's the one! That is definately one fine piece of equipment... and a great example of our American television history!

Old 11-08-2002, 08:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Those fine finds

That beautiful 1939 GE makes my pulse quicken. That's why I love this
hobby. And for you CT-100 fans, check out Pete Deksnis' CT-100 site. His latest posting of Nov. 6th will point out the wonder of finding that super rare artifact. A new in the box 15gp22 picture tube and an almost factory fresh CT-100. Keep lookin, the stuff is still out there.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:18 PM
millerdog

My uncle has a TV repair shop. I remember in the sixties all the B&W sets he had for rentals. I should go down to his shop to see what he has. For me, anything retro looks cool.
Thanks for the info. I never heard of TV collecting till I logged on here.
md
Audiokarma
Old 11-08-2002, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Chuck, that is not only an historic Televison but a damn fine piece of wood working to boot! I believe "Deco" is appropriate in that case

Eric
Old 11-08-2002, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Why

I collect TV sets because I just can't stand having any free space in in my home.

But seriously, like others here there is a certain nostalgia for me.

Most TV collectors I know are from the Baby Boomer generation and just as the Radio was important to the generations before, TV is important to us.

Eric