Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Technohippie

Given the RF high voltage supply they were offering and the NY location, I wonder if that firm eventually became these guys:

http://www.spellmanhv.com/
Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had two of these 630's in the past and sold them. They play so well and have such a solid quality about them. I have the chance to get another one that is working and in beautiful original condition. I may go for it. It's just such a large heavy set to try to display!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I was just looking thru this posting and I noticed that 1. Bob's set has the same 4 metal tubes, in the same place's.. And 2. that the Large Dog Bone mostly Green resistor is also there.. Along with other smaller caps and such.. There seems to be a few small differences, due to mostly I think to repairs..
THANK YOU Marty

Last edited by Geist; 01-08-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 AM
RCA 741PCS

I started taking a closer look at the chassis to check for bad components. First up the bleeder resistors. I've read these are often bad so wasn't surprised that both sections of the big one on top are open. The candohm below it measures OK though.

Next, I took a look inside the HV cage. The plate cap is gone from the 6BG6 and that HV cap is not mounted very well. I'm guessing it's a replacement.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Bob, If I am looking at the correct thing in your last picture.. The High Voltage cap in your set is in the same place as the one in my set.. Only the one in my set is about twice as thick, but it is mounted in the same place.. Both clips are the same also the springy open type..
THANK YOU Marty
Audiokarma
Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 PM
RCA 741PCS

I'm thinking of using an adjustable 1500 ohm 25W resistor to replace the dead 1360 17W section like this one: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...dwmdWfHxMQQ%3d
Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, I used an adustable resistor to replace that one in my 630TS. It's the most practical way to get that oddball value.

Phil Nelson
Old 01-28-2013, 01:59 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geist View Post
Hi All;
Bob, If I am looking at the correct thing in your last picture.. The High Voltage cap in your set is in the same place as the one in my set.. Only the one in my set is about twice as thick, but it is mounted in the same place.. Both clips are the same also the springy open type..
THANK YOU Marty
Thanks for the confirmation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
Yes, I used an adustable resistor to replace that one in my 630TS. It's the most practical way to get that oddball value.

Phil Nelson
I knew I read about that somewhere
I just checked another 630TS chassis and all sections of both resistors are open I may up spending more on power resistors than electrolytics!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
In my set the the 1360 is fine, the 6750 is fine, the 12 is open or missing, the 93 is bad as well, the 230 is good, I haven't checked the 56 nor the ion trap coil.. But, I am thinking to go get the variable resistor just in case I need it.. Bob, Thanks for the Mouser link.. When I got my Electrolytics I also got the two resistors..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 PM
RCA 741PCS

I'm not sure what you mean by the 56 ? There's a big 6300 inside the HV cage with a couple taps that's worth checking. Mine is good
Old 01-28-2013, 04:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Bob, yes, that's not in that part of the group with the two large resistors.. But it is part of the long divider chain.. The 56 (R232) is in parallel with the Ion Trap Magnet (coil) L202 and L203, which then goes thru the Focusing Resistors and coil, non of which I have checked for now (R182, R183, R184 and L195).. which ends up at --100 Volts, which also is the Center Tap of the Transformer.. The end of R186A (--18 Volts and R185A 230 ohms leads to R232... At least in my version of the schematic.. If there is no Ion Trap Coil and resistor, then I suppose it would be just a resistor.. I have heard that some sets had no Ion trap Electro-magnet, but a perment Magnet.. I realize that there are different versions of the 630 Schematic.. I also have not Checked the other Large Resistor in the High Voltage cage, I will do that when checking out under the 1B3 and see its condition..
THANK YOU marty
Old 01-28-2013, 04:56 PM
RCA 741PCS

OK, got it. That's just a 1 watt resistor so I didn't check it yet.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
I'm thinking of using an adjustable 1500 ohm 25W resistor to replace the dead 1360 17W section like this one: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...dwmdWfHxMQQ%3d
Well, two 680 ohm 10 watt resistors in series also would do it, and they are just $.79 for the pair at Just Radios. (no affiliation)

Jas
Old 01-28-2013, 05:25 PM
RCA 741PCS

Sure, but I'd need to find a way to mount them. I can reuse the original mounting screw with the Ohmite.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

This past weekend I finished checking and replacing the bad caps and resistors on my 630TS. I used two 680 ohm resistors for the 1360 as well. Be sure to check the 1 Meg ohm resistor under the HV rectifier, mine read over 8 Meg! I guess my set had lots of hours on it as more than half of the resistors were outside their tolerance and most of the paper caps were way off value and had high leakage. I tried reforming all of the electrolytics and found three of the cans completely open with the other three reading on the low side after reforming. I am going to try those three that did reform to see how well they work. In the long run I plan to replace them before I finish the restoration. I have to wait for a tube order before I can go beyond the DC supply power up check.

Dave
Audiokarma