Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Looking For Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
Was your photo taken with a fisheye lens?
It was taken with an iPhone5 in "pano" mode.

What are you thinking for your remodel? The two most important part for me were having the sets in the area that we spend the most time, and allowing each set to have its own space. I didn't want some dedicated "back room" where everything was hidden away. By having an original framed piece of ephemera above each set it helps to make each one special on its own and give it "shoulder room" to stand out individually.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

We are building a new detached garage. The old attached garage will be finished off to become two rooms -- my workshop and a display space. So I have approximately half of a two-car garage to use for display. I need to figure this space out. They just poured the new garage foundation.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 04-11-2014, 02:42 PM
RCA 741PCS

I packed my stereo away in storage and mounted my flatscreen on the wall to free up some space. It only took about a dozen holes drilled in these 140 year old walls to find some studs
I'm using a Google Chromecast to make this "dumb" TV "smart".

Much better Now if I could just get rid of those wires
Old 04-11-2014, 03:10 PM
Motorola Minion

Now that's quite a center channel speaker

Maybe a piece of wiremold 2300, adhesive-backed, to hide the wires?
Old 04-27-2014, 07:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Displaying the collection to friends and familiy

Here is the prewar section of my Man's Cave. I do like to have original ephemera an advertising to enhance the sets. I agree with @ VTS 1134 that is is cool to have people over to view the sets, especially old timers who can share their early television experiences. Most people are amazed that there was television before WWII, and that these sets are 75 years old. The strong art deco design also intrigues my guests.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg collection_panno.jpg (59.7 KB, 223 views)
Audiokarma
Old 04-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by decovision View Post
Here is the prewar section of my Man's Cave. I do like to have original ephemera an advertising to enhance the sets. I agree with @ VTS 1134 that is is cool to have people over to view the sets, especially old timers who can share their early television experiences. Most people are amazed that there was television before WWII, and that these sets are 75 years old. The strong art deco design also intrigues my guests.
HOMINA ! HOMINA ! HOMINA ! (grin)
Old 04-27-2014, 08:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
I've just completed my TV display space. I finished half of my basement by myself from the ground up with the intention of having a theater/TV display space. I keep very few sets and I want each set to have the space that it deserves. I try to have one original advertisement or other piece of ephemera framed and hanging above each set. The room is my main entertaining area thanks to a wetbar and flat panel theater. It's really great to be able to show the collection to family and friends who come over to visit. It always sparks a conversation about TV history. One of my personal favorites is when I have older folks over and they talk about their first TV experience. There's a bit of room for expansion for one tabletop and one console, but that will take time.
Very impressive museum-like display! Once you include an RCA TRK-5, you instantly bring your TV collection to A-class! That is the ultimate vintage TV in my opinion. The TRK-9 is more stylish, but the smaller sized 5 is my pick. I've seen many factory RCA 630 tables, but is that actually a factory 621 table? I've never seen one before.
Joe
Old 04-28-2014, 06:56 AM
Looking For Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
... is that actually a factory 621 table? I've never seen one before.
Joe
It is not, but it sure is damn close to perfect for the set isn't it? I searched for a stand for the set for many months before I found this one. I thought of painting the stand black like I have done on another one in my display but I never got around to it.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
i've just completed my tv display space. I finished half of my basement by myself from the ground up with the intention of having a theater/tv display space. I keep very few sets and i want each set to have the space that it deserves. I try to have one original advertisement or other piece of ephemera framed and hanging above each set. The room is my main entertaining area thanks to a wetbar and flat panel theater. It's really great to be able to show the collection to family and friends who come over to visit. It always sparks a conversation about tv history. One of my personal favorites is when i have older folks over and they talk about their first tv experience. There's a bit of room for expansion for one tabletop and one console, but that will take time.

So awesome!!! Wow!
Old 04-28-2014, 01:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post

Much better Now if I could just get rid of those wires
You could install a recessed power outlet (the kind intended for electric wall clocks) fed by some housewire like romex behind the flat screen, and fish the CATV cable and the speaker cords thru the wall, one hole behind the flat screen, and another below near the floor.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
It is not, but it sure is damn close to perfect for the set isn't it? I searched for a stand for the set for many months before I found this one. I thought of painting the stand black like I have done on another one in my display but I never got around to it.

Thanks John. Yes, now seeing it close-up I can tell it's a generic table, but it really does suit the set perfectly. Years ago, at a local radio swap-meet, someone told me that they found a blonde 621TS at a local estate sale still sitting on it's original blonde stand. Who knows if it was true though. In decades of collecting, and focusing on vintage TV's, I've never seen one anywhere.
Joe
Old 05-02-2014, 02:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wow some awesome displays and collections! Mine is SO basic I can describe it in very few words... In my living room a Philco Danish Modern is in one corner (birth year set), and in the other corner lives a 621TS on an original 630TS stand with my favorite, a 621TS on the bottom shelf. I've had the same 3 TV collection now for over 2 decades.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:55 PM
RCA 741PCS

I finally got around to building the custom shelving system I had model many months ago. It ended up being based around 6' tall pre-made sides from Menards home improvement center. I cut a third in half to make them 8' tall and added extra shelf supports. I ended up fitting 9 sets in all.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...70543193294263

That helped a lot, but it's still pretty crowded in here!
Old 10-11-2015, 12:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
I finally got around to building the custom shelving system I had model many months ago. It ended up being based around 6' tall pre-made sides from Menards home improvement center. I cut a third in half to make them 8' tall and added extra shelf supports. I ended up fitting 9 sets in all.
Nice job Bob. That really allows the avid TV collector to free-up their display space. You're really closing-in on acquiring the best of the early post-war sets!
Old 10-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Gizmo Nut

Well mine are scattered thru our home. But these wonderful pics of your displays has me thinking I should put them in our very large living room.
Audiokarma