Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Administrator

John, how on earth did you make that mold? It looks incredible!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
John, how on earth did you make that mold? It looks incredible!
Thanks. I took measurements from the 10" bezel and used the radius from the datasheet for the 12VP4 CRT. I drew the cross-section that I wanted and then a friend drew it up in SolidWorks. Another shop has a new employee and they thought it would be a good training/learning experience for him. It's not a simple part even for CNC. He learned a lot and I gained a part. The risk for me was having to possibly keep replacing material if there were problems.

So, I really lucked out. I only had to pay for material. Our own shop is way too busy to even think about doing anything personal. Especially this complicated. I'd probably have gotten in trouble for even asking.

I was looking at having a rapid prototype company do it, which would have cost a fortune, when this opportunity came up.

The polishing I did by hand using micro-mesh mx and wet sanding it through all the grades, then using Mother's aluminum polish. I was worried that it wouldn't work as well as Simichrome or Wenol polish, but it seems to work as well.

John
Old 09-16-2009, 12:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

When You Wish Upon a Star

More miracles. Or maybe there are more early Sylvanias out there than I realize.

Roger Dreyfoos noticed my attempt at making a mold for a 12" bezel and remembered he had picked up some freebies of some sort at CHRS flea market. It turned out one of them was a 12" NOS Sylvania bezel for the 1-108 chassis! He was kind enough to pass it along to me. Thanks Roger!

I will finish the mold, just to see if it works. Also in case anyone should need a 12" bezel similar to this.

Now I can complete my goal of having my childhood TV console again. I just need to pick up the 1-128 cabinet from my brother's place. Of course I'll have a 1-076 cabinet that's empty. No aquarium for it though. I'll just hang on to it in the hopes that I eventually find a chassis for it.

I can't blame my dad for converting his to a linen cabinet. It was a perfect use for it and he did a great job of installing the chassis and record player into the rec room. It's only when things get old that we start thinking about preserving them in their original form.

"The Wonderful World of Disney" was one of my favorite shows that I watched on the Sylvania. I've been hoping for many years to eventually find a set and the way things finally started to fall together it seemed as though a wish was being granted. Thus the title...

John
Old 09-16-2009, 12:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I forgot the attachments. Here's the 10" and 12" bezel.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bezels.jpg (112.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 11-29-2009, 12:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

I picked up cabinet from my parent's 1-128 Sylvania over Thanksgiving. It survived the trailer ride well.

The console is supposed to look like this:

Here's the outside front:

The finish isn't too bad. Where it's thin it has a more reddish color.

My dad had converted it into a cedar chest to store linens.

Restoring it to use the 1-108 chassis that I have that is common to the 1-076 10" and 1-128 12" consoles shouldn't be too difficult.

I had ordered some NOPP film from a US company, but the actual shipment came from Jakarta and was boxed in some fairly high grade luan/mahogany plywood. I'll see if that works for the panel. I also need to pick up some small pieces of solid mahogany.

The biggest problem is that he cut slots in the trim for the cedar.

Since the finish is so dark, I may be able to just fill it and stain it. The recent thread on molding trims/molding will be helpful here.

If you were really observant you'll have noticed that there were supposed to be rosettes at the upper corners which don't appear on my cabinet. I vaguely remember them being there, but there are no signs of them being removed. I think they would have been attached rather than milled into the boards. The rosettes are raised and it would have required milling much wood away. They may have even been metal like the pulls.

The style of this cabinet is Hepplewhite, or so claims Sylvania.

I'm getting closer to getting my childhood set finished. I may convert the 1-076 cabinet into a cedar chest using the cedar from this cabinet after I'm done. I'll never be able to find parts to make a complete 1-076 or 1-128 without gutting one of them. Fortunately, beside the cabinet the only things that are different between the two are the CRT, band to clamp the CRT, and the bezel.

John
Audiokarma
Old 11-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Bob Galanter

You are doing an awsome job John. When this is finished you will accomplished something very wonderful, especially considering the obsticles that have been in your way.

This is the first I have seen the postings about the mold you had made. What a spectacular piece of machining. Must have taken a lot of work to polish that to such a beautiful mirror finish.

If you look around at some of the woodworking web sites, I think you may be able to find wooden rosettes that might approximate the ones that are missing. Just google wooden rosettes. The first hit I got can make 13,000 different historic designs.

Bob

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 11-29-2009, 01:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Are there pictures in post #65 that my browser does not see?
Old 11-29-2009, 02:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'll second that.

Same "no pix" problem here. Maybe they didn't survive the trailer ride? I PM'd John.

Roger
Old 11-29-2009, 02:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Are there pictures in post #65 that my browser does not see?
Yes there are pictures. This is my first attempt at posting using images from an album. I thought I could leave the album private. Apparently not, so I've made it public.

Please let me know if this works now.

John
Old 11-29-2009, 02:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looking good now! Nice set!

jr
Audiokarma
Old 11-29-2009, 02:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've got the pix.

I've micaculously got the pix now. Now here's my opinion. You don't need no stinkin' rosettes. Seems quite possible that someone decided (perhaps at the factory) that it looked as good or better without the rosettes.

Or, maybe the Sylvania legal department decided that as add-ons, a little kid could figure out how to take them off and swallow one.

One person's opinion,

Roger
Old 11-29-2009, 02:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfoos View Post
I've micaculously got the pix now. Now here's my opinion. You don't need no stinkin' rosettes. Seems quite possible that someone decided (perhaps at the factory) that it looked as good or better without the rosettes.

Or, maybe the Sylvania legal department decided that as add-ons, a little kid could figure out how to take them off and swallow one.

One person's opinion,

Roger
After looking more closely I can see where one was glued to the left side. I don't see any evidence on the right side.

I'll leave this for last and decide then which way I prefer it. I tried a quick search per Bob's suggestion. I need to find one that's 3/4" in diameter. Most seem to be much larger than this.

John
Old 11-30-2009, 11:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've started to remove the cedar lining. Fortunately my dad didn't glue them in. They're tongue and groove and were nailed as you would flooring with small brads. The nail holes are almost invisible.

I was happy to see the tube chart is still there. I'm a bit confused though. They went to the effort of making a label especially for the model 1-128. That uses a 12" CRT. Yet they show both the 10" 10MP4 and 12VP4 as possible CRTs. Why show the 10MP4 when it was used in the 1-076?

It's also curious that the "UL" label was inked out. I wonder if it didn't meet UL certification?

I'll take more photos after I remove all the cedar and figure out what's missing. I found one surprise already. Maybe it'll be clear after I remove more cedar.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tube_chart.jpg (134.2 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by jeyurkon; 11-30-2009 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Spelling, a homophone tripped me up.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:09 AM
RCA 741PCS

Hmm, that is weird. Never saw a UL label inked out.

The finish on that cabinet doesn't look bad at all. I'd bet a little touch up (and maybe a couple coats of lacquer if it's worn) would do wonders.

Last edited by bandersen; 12-01-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I checked the 1-076 cabinet and the UL stamp is inked out on it too.

The first picture on the left is the inside of the phono side in the 1-076 cabinet. The rear panel is Masonite. I was surprised to see that they used regular plywood on the right where they separated the TV from the phono. The left side is mahogany veneer. In the 1-128 they used mahogany veneer on the right side too. I had thought they would also use it for the back, but I think Masonite might actually look better because of the uniform surface. The color of the Masonite looks much different than the wood in the photo, but to the naked eye they are quite similar. Looking at the photo in the Sam's, it appears that they used Masonite in the 1-128 model also.

But, the record changer is supported differently. In the 1-076 it hangs into the speaker cabinet. In the 1-128 it's above the record storage area and sits on a platform. The board to support the changer fits into a dado on the right side and is screwed to a rail on the left side. It also sits on a board at the front of the cabinet. I'm not sure if they used Masonite or plywood which sat on the bottom rails to separate the space between the changer and the storage area.

The photo on the right shows the rosette that is on the 1-076 cabinet. I believe it's the same as the missing ones on the 1-128. I suppose I should make a mold of it to replicate it. However, I'm tempted to get a Carvewright to make one out of wood. But, unless I can come up with a number of other uses for the Carvewright, that would be a silly expenditure.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-076_back.jpg (117.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 1-128_phono_side.jpg (117.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 1-076_rosette.jpg (110.7 KB, 34 views)
Audiokarma