Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:25 PM
VK Member

RCA 45EY-2 Speed Issue w/Photo's!

RCA 45 EY-2 3-tube amplifier from around 1950. Question for Mr. Cahill or whoever: I had someone restore this player but the motor isn't turning quite fast enough ... Are there any adjustments that I can make?

I included some pix in the attachments that show the player, another 45 ey-2 that I'm planning on recapping myself and a 1960 Webcor MC-1068-1 (Moderne) power amp that needs a transformer that can be seen on the extreme right of the power amplifier chassis.

Comments are welcome...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rca_ey2_close.jpg (80.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 60WebcorModernePwrAmp2.jpg (96.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg rca_ey2_interior.jpg (82.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 02-17-2011, 03:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had this same problem once. Despite my efforts to clean and lubricate the motor, it still would not run fast enough. When playing a record, it was running at around 41-42 RPM. The cure was to salvage a good motor off of a junker. I suspect my old motor had a shorted winding.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:11 PM
VK Member

Thanks for the advice, Radiotvnut. I was told that the speed was validated with a digital strobe, but I can tell by playing any record that's familiar to me. I noticed right away that the notes were below the pitch.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi;
Phonographs can be downright finiky. I've been repairing them for years and you never quite know what you're going to end up with until you're done. A speed issue like you've described can be caused by several things.

When the motor is disassembled, the upper and lower bearings need to be thoroughly cleaned of all residual grease. The motor shaft should be polished with a metal polish to remove any roughness or imperfections. When the motor is reassembled the upper and lower bearings must be perfectly in alignment with each other. Use a very light oil to lube. The slightest bit of friction can affect the speed. Give the reassembled motor a good spin by hand and it should spin for several seconds and slowly glide to a halt. If not, you need to adjust the position of the upper and/or lower motor bearings.

The idler wheel that sits between the motor shaft and the rim of the turntable platter must spin freely. Like the motor shaft, the shaft that the idler wheel spins on must be cleaned of any old lubricant and lubed with a very light oil. The idler must spin absolutely freely.

The turntable platter itself must be removed and it's bearing and shaft must be cleaned in a similar fashion to the motor and relubed. When reassembled it should spin freely.

After all of that if the speed is still off, you most likely have an issue with the motor itself. The only true way to check the speed is with a strobe disc and fluescent light or neon bulb.

Hope that helps.
Good luck.
Bob
Old 02-18-2011, 12:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Good post Bob.

Now if anyone could explain why most BSRs seem to run too fast...
Audiokarma
Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I Have that exact same model Webcor console. What style is the cabinet? Mine is mission in lighter finish. The power amp is just like yours. I got it free about 10 years ago. It sounds great but needs the idler rebuilt. Are you keeping yours whole? Good luck getting working.
John