Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-24-2005, 07:36 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, but look how ghastly white she is...looks like a zombie....Hey ! Wonder if a Pittsburgh kid named George Romero saw this ad, & got him to thinkin'....-Sandy G.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:04 AM
<--1956 300B

Picture of my Setchell Carlson rectangular CVT modular set.

polaraman
Old 02-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Man, that guy is as clean as a hound's tooth !!-Sandy G.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathkit tv
Thanks for the info Robert1......am with Carmine, I'd love to see some pix too.....the more obscure color sets are most interesting!

Anthony (enjoys ANY pasta)
i will try to get a picture of it while it is playing as soon as i get replacement batteries for my old casio digital camera.

i can tell you one thing, that setchall carlson is a great set.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony V
Heres a scan i got off of an Ebay auction from a few years back. Its of a 1963 SC roundie with the unitized chassis. I used to have the scan of the inside but its now long gone after a computer crash. I apologize for the logo as the seller created this not me but at least it proves SC color roundies did exist. If i recall right, this one sold for $300 as it was fully restored with a nos crt.
-Tony
my sc roundie has a different style cabinet, however, the control layout is exactly the same.
another thing i like to mention is that you should see the audio module that these use.. talk about real high fidelity.
here is the tube layout.

two 6GK6's PP output
one 12AX7 driver
two 6AU6 if amps
one 6AL5 ratio detector.

i also have extra modules for this set too.
i will try to get a picture of it later on
Audiokarma
Old 03-01-2005, 08:00 PM
Damn does run fast…

I've got an SC portable (B&W). A dream to work on - pop the modules out and everything's easy to get to

The chassis on them stays nice cause it's aluminum. Very nice sets. I wouldn't mind an SC roundie.

Interesting how they were big on 'modules' before everyone else....

Oh yeah, my portable, I restored it and it's beautiful. No AGC control though and it overloads on my house antenna signal. Need to get an attenuator :P But a great set - I used it nearly 24/7 around 9/11 and it never let me down. Oh yeah, and an epoxy sealed flyback, not the crappy wax everyone else used.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:30 PM
No time for this hobby

Worst TV? By far was a mid to late 80's Goldstar. It took 3 of them to live past its one year warranty. Last one died at 13 months. Biggest piece of crap i've ever bought.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:51 PM

Motorola hybrids.
Magnavox tube sets "the ones that used PC boards"
Sylvania 80s sets
Garbage Electric anything
Panasonic portable tube sets
Westinghouse tube sets.
Many Zenith sets from the mid 80s to late 90s They need to reverse
thier slogan to "The name goes on before the quality goes in"
Old 03-02-2005, 01:06 AM
russkish

My vote goes to the Magnzvos line of the early 70s. There was nothing good about the color quality on these sets. My parents bought a 19-inch tabletop Magnavox with a simulated Maple Early American finish. It came with its own matching wood grain table. The damn thing was both blurry and incapable of reproduing anything close to an accurate color picture. It had some feature that added a brownish sepia tint to the color, and the same brownish hue to black and white. IGH. Truly terrible.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

I worked for a Magnacrap dealer between '70 & '73 while in college. I remember one year Magnacrap was at the top of the heap in Consumers Report. Sold a ton of sets. About 1,995 pounds worth came back for warranty work. Not as difficult to work on as the 23EGP based Motorolas, but still a POS. They were a big help in paying my tuition.
Audiokarma
Old 03-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Frenchy

>>Garbage Electric anything>>

Hey the little GE Porta-a-Color I picked up at an antique store for 60 bucks looks and performs like new, I'm proud of this little humble, all-tube set. It's the first version that they made 39 years ago ('66) Certainly as good a picture as a new set of the same screen size made today (that all last about a year and then blow up). I have done absolutely nothing to the set, worked like a charm when I took it home. I just watched Everybody Loves Raymond on it 3 days ago! : )
Old 03-03-2005, 11:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have 5 or 6 of the Portacolors, some of which work well. I have not yet investigated the ones that do not. These seem to last pretty well with the only weakness that I have found being carbon tracking in some of the controls on the back. Some of these have 700 volts of boost voltage applied.

When the carbon tracking was cleaned out, these sets began working well.

However, that being said, I also have some early GE B&W portables that look very neat, but were very poorly made. All tubes, including the hot horizontal output and damper were mounted on the PC board. These become charcoal and I have only found a couple that I could even hope to restore.

Contrast this to the B&W Zeniths of the era with all tubes on a metal chassis. These are usually fairly easy to get working very well. Overall, GE quality was very poor in the 1960s compared to Zenith or RCA. I would say the the Portacolors are the exception, not the rule.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Re: Magnavox...I have several Magnavox color sets from '66-'68, all work great except some have weak CRT's. Only problems have been bad resistors in 6BK4 circuit and a disintegrated tube socket due to heat...otherwise seem to be well designed. Maybe are the ones that you had trouble with different chassis?
My sets do have the "chromatone" feature that you mention.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

I started repairing televisions for a shop in my home town in 1977 when I was still a teen, most already were 7-12 years old when they came in and saw LOTS of use as the people in my area were mostly middle class with only one color set.
This was a good indicator of which ones would last the longest. Of course Zenith held up the best with RCA following, RCA had that common problem with the power resistor heat buildup under the chassis causing the terminal strip and nearby wires becoming brittle then falling off.
Motorolas were decent too, just not too many techs understood them.
GE sets would get real bad with many hours of use, with the previously mentioned pc board problems.
Magnavox had the brittle board problem also, sometimes you would go to put a new tube in and away it would crumble!
As with automobiles, most tv manufacturers had their best and worst models,
I have repaired a lot of televisions in my time and can say that I really didn't mind working on any of them because that is what I was supposed to do...repair them, not spend time bitching about their inherent weaknesses.
I enjoyed going to work every day and dealing with the customers, handling calls and most of all getting those sets working again!
Old 03-04-2005, 10:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-08-2021 at 04:09 PM.
Audiokarma