Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-28-2004, 10:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-08-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I recall seeing an HDTV set several months ago at Wal-mart and the picture was crooked! like the yoke was turned crooked.
Don't remember what make it was but this doesn't seem a sign of good quality control on an expensive set of whatever brand it was.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-08-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

i have three catagories of the worst tvs made.
1. vintage (sixties) motorola. the quality of the compontents used in their sets was absolutely abysmal. they were extremely hard to service. their picture was not good, even when they were new.

2.hybrids & solid state. sears silvertone, admiral, general electric. actually any one that used compactron tubes AND printed circuit board chassis.

3. ALL late model korean, chinese, taiwanese sets, including zenith.

the BEST tv ever made was setchel carlson.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:47 AM
heathkit tv

Am curious, how do you define "best"? Did Setchel Carlson ever build any color sets? What of Dumont? I thought they were the Cadillac of TVs....at least B&W sets. Of the 60's era, I think that the hand wired Zeniths are right at the top even though they can be a pain at times to dig thru the layers of wiring to work on.

Anthony
Audiokarma
Old 02-11-2005, 06:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have seen photofacts for a Setchell Carson color set...appears to be high quality with hand wired metal chassis modules and test points on rear for horizontal output or regulator current. The Dumont color sets I believe were made in the 60's by Emerson or whoever owned the Dumont name...they don't seem to be the same quality as the '50s Dumont b/w sets.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

I had a Setchell roundie I had to give away in one of my many moves through the years, It was built very well and yet quite light for a console, The chassis was aluminium as well as the modules.
Real easy to remove them too, just two thumbscrews.
Wish I had it back...
Old 02-11-2005, 11:41 AM
heathkit tv

When did SC stop production? What years did they make color sets? Feeble minds want to know.

Anthony
Old 02-11-2005, 12:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here is the recent thread with a pic of a great Setchell rect. color set.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthr...4&page=1&pp=15

I read, I think, that they gave up the business about 69/70.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

definition of best

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathkit tv
Am curious, how do you define "best"? Did Setchel Carlson ever build any color sets? What of Dumont? I thought they were the Cadillac of TVs....at least B&W sets. Of the 60's era, I think that the hand wired Zeniths are right at the top even though they can be a pain at times to dig thru the layers of wiring to work on.

Anthony
yes, setchell carlson did build colors sets. i have a 1963 "roundie" that i use as a daily watcher.
the reason i say they are the best is because of the quality of the compontents that they used, the circuitry & the chassis design.
they used simple tried & true circuit designs that utilized very common tubes (every SC set that i know of has at least four 6AU6s). they used high quality resistors & capacitors. they used good phenolic tube sockets. they also lasted a long time before needing service.
due to the conservative design of the circuitry, tubes had a very long life span, if fact, if you find a SC set, chances are good that most of the original tubes will still be in it. it would most likely have a weak / bad picture tube. these sets were known to outlive three picture tube replacements.

the SC "roundie" that i own, i aquired it off of a trash pile about 5 years ago. around that time, i had a NOS 21fjp22 that i installed in it. the only other work i done on that set was replace a electrolytic capacitor underneath the horizontal output module & replace the H.O. tube. i have been using it on a daily basis since then, even to this day.
Audiokarma
Old 02-20-2005, 08:25 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
"yes, setchell carlson did build colors sets. i have a 1963 "roundie" that i use as a daily watcher."
Can we see some chassis and exterior pics? Pleeeeaaaase? I find any non-RCA or RCA-clone roundie to be very interesting!!
Old 02-23-2005, 12:19 PM
heathkit tv

Thanks for the info Robert1......am with Carmine, I'd love to see some pix too.....the more obscure color sets are most interesting!

Anthony (enjoys ANY pasta)
Old 02-23-2005, 04:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Heres a scan i got off of an Ebay auction from a few years back. Its of a 1963 SC roundie with the unitized chassis. I used to have the scan of the inside but its now long gone after a computer crash. I apologize for the logo as the seller created this not me but at least it proves SC color roundies did exist. If i recall right, this one sold for $300 as it was fully restored with a nos crt.
-Tony
Old 02-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

She's got her hand right about where it would be on his...Damn, I got a dirty mind !! Wonder if anybody back in good ol' antebellum 1963 caught that, too ?!? Nice lookin' roundie, BTW..Of course, I think they're ALL nice lookin'.-Sandy G.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:41 AM
heathkit tv

That's subliminal advertising which is saying that you'll turn on all the wimmin folk if you buy this here teevee, you big stud muffin you.

Anthony
Audiokarma