Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

show us your favorites!!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

RCA CTC-15 or CTC-16. I had a nice CTC-15 (VHF only) in maple Early American cabinet as a teen :-) (wish I still had it).

FWIW, we had a CTC-4 (far from new) for some time when I was a kid. Someone had given it to my father, probably in trade for some work he'd done (he was a TV repairman). That's how he got the CTC-15, too.

I know that the CTC-16 chassis was his favorite.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

This beat up, GE ctc 15 clone is one of my favorite color roundies.
She was in a garage that was caving in and is water damaged.
This is the first GE roundie that I have seen in person and think it was worth fixing.
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ge round color.jpg (46.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg ge r screen.jpg (22.0 KB, 57 views)
Old 06-03-2007, 09:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

nice set!!!
Old 06-03-2007, 10:38 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

My favorites have got to be the CTC-7 and CTC-9. I love the styling of those cabinets, control layout and the large "C O L O R" lettering at the bottom of the CRT mask.

I'd sell my entire collection for a local one with a strong CRT and working chassis and a nice cabinet
Old 06-03-2007, 01:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's my CTC-10, "The Wynnewood", with remote. I haven't done anything to it yet, but I did check the CRT and it tests good. Even if I had my choice of any roundie, I might go with this one, I like that it has a remote, and I like this particular cabinet more than most, the only thing it doesn't have is UHF.

Last edited by Adam; 09-13-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I always liked the CTC-16xl sets with a rare earth crt. When properly aligned to spec and set up they made a really good picture.

Bill R
Old 06-03-2007, 03:28 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

May sound dumb, but I think one of my favorites would be the early 60s JVC TV-stereo-phono combo. I've only ever seen 2 or 3 of them, and they're weird being Japanese with a 21FBP22.

Charles
Old 06-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

most of the Rca sets had a pretty decent picture on them as did the Zenith's My first set was a ctc 7 way back when, it had excellent color on it.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Here's my CTC-10, "The Wynnewood", with remote.
Interesting that they decided that the "Tint" and "Color" adjustments needed to be remote controllable...
Audiokarma
Old 06-03-2007, 09:24 PM
<-- sucker for old sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise
Interesting that they decided that the "Tint" and "Color" adjustments needed to be remote controllable...
Not at all. Different stations had different program material, different recording machines, cameras, etc. Sometimes the equipment drifted from spec or the techs got lax on camera calibration when it was needed.

In short you could change to another TV station and the color would be off. This would facilitate the need to get up and re-adjust the color. That's why they put it on the remote.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

awesome remote set
Old 06-04-2007, 01:07 AM
console lover

My dream color roundie would be a Motorola 19CK1--with a 21" tube. I do prefer the look of the later mask...and would certainly take comfort in knowing there are relatively plenty spare CRTs.

Favorite color roundie I may have more than a snowball's chance in hades of possessing one day would be RCA Victor 21-CT55.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think they used the color label through the ctc-11, but I'm not absolutely sure.

I have UHF converters, but I was just thinking that as this set has every other extra feature, the big cabinet with the doors, remote, power tuning, 3 speakers, you would think it would have UHF too. But there seem to be very few pre-64 sets with UHF, I've never had one.

Actually, a roundie I would really like, but probably never find is that remote controlled ctc-7: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=112468 According to the ad posted there the remote on that set also controls brightness and fine tuning in addition to what's on the ctc-10 remote I posted earlier.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

CTC4 has a UHF tuner I believe had patent dispute with Hallicrafters? Optional on ctc5 and others. I believe also shown extra on my colorcaster cabinet tube chart. Even now until a few years ago in my area, UHF channels were limited.

That philco 19ck1 is one of my favorites too as it says color tv on mask and tricolor badge in middle. I've always wanted a 21ct55, but now want a philco 19ck1, I have pleanty of similar RCA. A lot of people here have had a ctc15 or ctc16 when roundie color was popular, did those sets have an automatic degausing circuit, or any roundie without all those magnets?

Pic of 1955 Hoffman Colorcaster with side that opens to replace parts on chassis. More makers should of been leaning this way. I'm sure more sets would of survived if techs did not have to remove chassis to service every time. The set has Colorcaster written on color matching mask.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bycolorcstr.jpg (10.4 KB, 64 views)
Audiokarma