Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I guess I shouldnt have complained about winter. Today
I went out to get some Irish food ( ale & potato chips).
Two days of 50 degF weather has thawed the roads & they
are all MUD ! What a damn mess..... Cant wait til they freeze agn.
Mud season isnt for 6 weeks.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 01-13-2017, 03:26 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Here's something that will help y'all deal with that horrible cold...

Last edited by TUD1; 06-19-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well the snow didn't last long as it's all gone. It's 5 degrees C here today. Been mending windstorm damage: a perspex panel blew out of the greenhouse & vanished, looked everywhere for it but it's gone, had to make a new panel out of a large sheet I've got. A perspex panel on the canopy was flapping about so went up & banged a few nails in. I was going to use screws but couldn't find my electric screwdriver as it's buried under a load of junk somewhere in the garage, I'm too lazy to use a proper screwdriver. My wife supervised & shouted at me for forgetting to put my tools away, I'm such a bad boy, lol..
Old 01-14-2017, 09:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
Well the snow didn't last long as it's all gone. It's 5 degrees C here today. Been mending windstorm damage: a perspex panel blew out of the greenhouse & vanished, looked everywhere for it but it's gone, had to make a new panel out of a large sheet I've got. A perspex panel on the canopy was flapping about so went up & banged a few nails in. I was going to use screws but couldn't find my electric screwdriver as it's buried under a load of junk somewhere in the garage, I'm too lazy to use a proper screwdriver. My wife supervised & shouted at me for forgetting to put my tools away, I'm such a bad boy, lol..
That's my worst habit, never puting things away, especially tools. I have tools scattered between my home basement, garage, my workshop and warehouse, which is eleven miles away.
BTW, is Perspex is the same as our Plexiglas or Lexan?
Old 01-14-2017, 11:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes perspex & plexiglas are the same stuff, think perspex is some kind of trade name. We seem to name things in England after their trade name. My vacuum cleaners are Vax & a Dyson makes but I always say "I'm going to hoover the carpets!" & "my cat is so greedy he hoovered all his food up!" My friends got a very greedy dog & she's called him Hoover, her other dogs called Dustbin, lol..
Audiokarma
Old 01-14-2017, 04:11 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
Yes perspex & plexiglas are the same stuff, think perspex is some kind of trade name. We seem to name things in England after their trade name. My vacuum cleaners are Vax & a Dyson makes but I always say "I'm going to hoover the carpets!" & "my cat is so greedy he hoovered all his food up!" My friends got a very greedy dog & she's called him Hoover, her other dogs called Dustbin, lol..
Reminds me of a fellow from India that was on my senior design team in college...He had this weird word for Styrofoam, that IIRC began with a P.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-14-2017, 06:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Reminds me of a fellow from India that was on my senior design team in college...He had this weird word for Styrofoam, that IIRC began with a P.
I think "styrofoam" is just a trade name for a type of polystyrene, maybe it was that.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I expect to see you in the morning at the WARCI meet, Dave!
Old 01-14-2017, 08:29 PM
Resident Lunatic

Then there are lunatics that actually prefer the cold, myself included
I'm in my element when it's 20 degrees Fahrenheit or colder. Hell, that's part of the reason I'm praying the brass lets me return to the United States sooner rather than later. Continental Europe is much too mild.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:04 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
Then there are lunatics that actually prefer the cold, myself included
I'm in my element when it's 20 degrees Fahrenheit or colder. Hell, that's part of the reason I'm praying the brass lets me return to the United States sooner rather than later. Continental Europe is much too mild.
Amen bro. It's a bit below that threshold here right now thank goodness, so it was worth going out even though Canadian Tire had closed early for a staff function. After all I was overheated and covered in sawdust. I just took a detour to Starbucks on the way back.
Audiokarma
Old 01-15-2017, 12:49 AM
The Resident Brony

I'm in Chicago, so we get plenty cold here. Dealing with it? I just bring my dirty / contaminated / infested items to my shop first. Use the air supply to blow out dust and just let it go everywhere. With two 300k btu waste oil fired heaters, warmth is available at the touch of a thermostat.

Then whatever heap I'm tinkering with comes home to my bedroom workbench, where I put ponies on them and take pictures for you folks to enjoy my misery as much as I do.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:12 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAge View Post
I think "styrofoam" is just a trade name for a type of polystyrene, maybe it was that.
It was not polystyrene...Me and the rest of the team would have recognized that....It was some odd word that none of us had heard of...He practically had to do verbal charades for us to figure out what he was talking about.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:27 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I expect to see you in the morning at the WARCI meet, Dave!
Yeah, I kinda wanted to go as a seller as of yesterday morning (needed to fix and gather a load)....Then a computer repair started dragging out, and a fellow called me about taking a load of TV (I presumed he meant Sunday, but he really meant same day), I ended up getting a whole hoard of TVs....Then as there was still a bit of hope of scratching together a selling load a friend called and wanted to hang out....Long story short I never got to prepping to sell (the main reason I had to go to that meet), or finishing that computer.

I really should not be buying more stuff, or spending money right now...

Old 01-15-2017, 12:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
It was not polystyrene...Me and the rest of the team would have recognized that....It was some odd word that none of us had heard of...He practically had to do verbal charades for us to figure out what he was talking about.
Thermocal?

http://www.herebeanswers.com/2010/02...facturing.html

jr
Old 10-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Vintage Bouxy Audio

Seems all of you have it good during Winter. Our Winter usually has temps anywhere from -40 C to -20 C on average but sometimes it can hit -50.Snow I try to forget but it is always here,Blizzards come and go with drifts you wouldn't believe but otherwise it's great
Audiokarma