Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2009, 04:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Question about the Col-R-Tel

G'day. I've been trying to get my head around how the Col-R-Tel works considering the fact that there isn't a field for each colour to correspond to the colour wheel like on the CBS Color System. Anyhow reading this article http://www.earlytelevision.org/col-r-tel_article.html brings me to a better understanding of the system and makes me ask this question.

B&W set receiving a colour signal, as I understand the colour signal gets scanned across the B&W screen in the same fashion as on a colour set in a mosaic of dots but as varied greyscale illuminations for each primary colour. Now does the Col-R-Tel basically scan 3 times as fast as a single field hence each each cluster of 3 primary colour dots represented as illumination greyscale dots on the B&W set get hit with the 3 filters (appearing to our eyes) all at once hence appearing as levels of red, blue and green as if hitting a primary colour phosphor dot on a colour set and therefore bringing forth a colour picture? I'm guessing that's how it works but would like to know if this is true or not?