Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

The CTC-5 Made it to Germany already!

My old CTC-5 is now in the capable hands of Eckhard Etzold and it will be going through a complete restoration shortly!
It made the trip to Germany intact with no damage, here is a picture he sent me of it displaying a local program there.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-08-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

It was shipped expedited air, I shipped Monday he should have gotten it by Thursday. It was in the high hundreds.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:08 PM
Administrator

<sigh>

Well, she's got a good new home now
Old 01-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, Kam, my thoughts exactly...-Sandy G.
Audiokarma
Old 01-24-2005, 04:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmoody
My old CTC-5 is now in the capable hands of Eckhard Etzold and it will be going through a complete restoration shortly!
It made the trip to Germany intact with no damage, here is a picture he sent me of it displaying a local program there.
He must be using a TV standards converter, as Germany is a PAL country, (or SECAM if he's in what was East Germany) and the TV expects NTSC. Different scan rates and differing color encoding methods.

Another problem would be the powerline. Aside from the obvious voltage difference (220V vs 120V) there is the issue of the line frequency, 50 vs 60 Hz. As higher frequencies allow for smaller transformer core, its power transformer may get unhappy on 50Hz. Core saturation may start, making it overheat. As the transformer is likely designed to accept up to 130V 60Hz before saturation starts to kick in, it should be able to take 50/60 of that on 50Hz. About 108V, maybe 110, which would be the low end of American voltage supply. Something to look out for. If the transformer gets very
hot, this may be doing it.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

I doubt that the power transformer will get hot, It's a 25 cycle unit!
Remember this tv was "Canadianized" when it was originally exported to that country.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I doubt that the power transformer will get hot, It's a 25 cycle unit!
Remember this tv was "Canadianized" when it was originally exported to that country.
It must be a biggie! A 120V 25Hz transformer will work on 240V 50Hz just
fine. HOWEVER the rest of the set will become rather unhappy with all of the secondary voltages being double If you really wanted to, you could split the 6.3V heater tubes into two equal current halves, and feed those halves with the old 6.3V now 12.6V heater winding. The high voltage secondary (I assume has a center tap) will be double its old voltage, so I'd use just one section of it feeding a bridge rectifier composed of the 5U4 or such rectifier tube the set uses for the positive end, and a pair of silicon rectifier diodes for the negative end. Also the 5u4 heater voltage will need to be reduced. I doubt that anyone would want to go to this much bother.

But it would be much easier to just use an autoformer to convert the 220V to 120V, and the set stays closer to original.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Wonder if the new caretaker would like to be a part of our little debating society here? Wonder if he spreckens ze Englischer well enuff to join in? Just a thought...-Sandy G.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

He's just stepping down the 220 and has a PAL to NTSC converter that he is using on the set.
Just talked to him and am hoping he can find me an original Dual turntable for my German market Saba combo! As I have asked my relatives in Berlin and they haven't a clue as to what I need and are not into antique electronics.

Last edited by captainmoody; 01-25-2005 at 08:05 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-25-2005, 01:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Bloody awsome. Great to see these early sets getting exported worldwide. I heard that some Brits acquired a couple of CT-100s through the netvine.

I'll have to one day (when I've got enough money to splash around) import a roundie to Australia and be the first Aussie to own a roundie colour telly ! Then I will hook up my Austar box via VCR to the telly, tune to the Fox Footy Channel and take a photo of the screen whilst an AFL footy game is in session and post it here in the forum as part of the Aussie tradition ! And then take some snaps of the Footy Show as well . Well I will take a photo of something Australian on the screen anyhow !

Hope one day I'll have the opportunity.

Last edited by Aussie Bloke; 01-25-2005 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Administrator

I just received an E-mail from Mr Etzold looking for a Flyback for a CTC-5.
Guessing it's for this set? (maybe it fried?)
Anyway I have a used one but it's leaking a gob of wax and told him he might want to come here and see if anyone has a better spare.

Eric
Old 01-30-2005, 03:36 AM
VK Member

Quote:
He's just stepping down the 220 and has a PAL to NTSC converter that he is using on the set.
Hello, let me enter your discussion. I have a 230 to 117 volts converter which is working well (output is 117 volts.) The set has an extra transformer for the 405 volt d.c.. The transformer remains cool even after watching two hours tv. This is ok. The origin transformer in the set generates only the heating voltage, which is with 6.7 volts more than the regular 6.8 volts. The tubes are little overheated. Is this acceptable or should I lower to voltage to 6.3 volts?
The signal conversion is easy with a dvd player. I can switch it to NTSC with 60 frames per second. For the conversion of the local tv program I have a PAL to NTSC converter which converts only the carrier from 4.43 mc to 3.58 mc. With vertical hold I tune it to 50 frames, the line frequency is nearly the same with 15,625 cycles. Some trouble I have with the video impedance of 75 ohms and 1 kohms, the input overdrives.
The flyback is getting hot after one hour, appr. 60 degrees celsius. I am not shure about its condition. Wax is leaking. I have conservated it with "Plastik 70", a kind of pourable plastic. The focus control (200 kohm) is bad. But I have to check the whole horizontal output unit.
Here in Germany we are only two collectors of old U.S. tv sets, as far as I know. The other one lives near Munich, he is also looking for a flyback for his ctc5 which is not in working condition, and I try to help him. He has sent me a rf-modulator with the correct audio if (4.5 mc), this is neccesary because the PAL carrier with 4.43 mc is very close to it.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-08-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:08 PM
<--1956 300B

They also have Armed Forces Network (AFN) in Germany. That signal is in our American frequency. There are no modifications needed to watch an American set. You can buy transformers in the PX that will convert the voltage for you. (220v to 120v) As I remember there was an antenna that you turned a certain way to get the German TV stations. I think they are on 9mhz and we are on 10mhz??? I had no issues with my mid 70's GE when I lived there 14 years ago. All this was through the air with an antenna. NO CABLE TV!!!!

polaraman
Audiokarma