Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
That would be COOL!!

I'll PM you my addy....and just tell me what you want. I'll shoot you whatever through PayPal if you do that. It'll of course be the addy to my work, where I'll actually GET it and not play tag with the little yellow papers. DON'T underestimate the shipping. I think these are like 13-15 pounds or something.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Man, I remember seeing this set brand new at Sears in Tulsa, Oklahoma, as a child, and I wanted one so bad.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

BigDave & I have one of these on the bench & have determined that there are shorted turns in one of the T5 Horiz. Blocking Transformer (HBT) windings. Sony's part number is 435-003 with alternate 1-435-003, solid Unobtainium with no Stancor, Merit, etc. sub listed. Is anyone familiar enough with the set to know the exact technical specifications of the part (turns ratio, etc.) to assist in finding a suitable replacement by matching the electrical specifications to some readily available part (small audio interstage transformer, etc.) that would satisfy the requirements of the circuit for proper operation?
Old 12-18-2013, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Send a PM to AiboPet. I sent him a complete set for parts a while back. I know he ended up using one board out of it, but he might be able to help you out with other pieces. It was electronically complete....
Old 12-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Was that the one I sent you, Tim ? If it is, good to see that its maybe helping others to "Live"...
Old 12-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Administrator

That's the one! My 8-301W is still working nicely thanks to you
Old 12-18-2013, 06:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Send a PM to AiboPet. I sent him a complete set for parts a while back. I know he ended up using one board out of it, but he might be able to help you out with other pieces. It was electronically complete....
Thanks, Tim! We're hoping to identify the key electrical parameters for that one and for Horiz Drive transformer T6 (p/n 437-001) identified by BigDave today as also having some SNAFU resistance readings compared to those Sams Photofact specifies and identify substitutes that will hopefully eliminate the need for cannibalizing original Sony boards to obtain replacements. I'll PM AiboPet to see what I can learn.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Administrator

If worse comes to worse, I can always let you borrow mine to try to construct whatever you need
Old 12-18-2013, 08:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks again, Tim! Considering the bids these sets are getting in auctions we've been following lately, it seems like having the old ones rewound might be a viable option. Considering that successful rewinding of those CT-100 convergence transformers has been done before, these ought to have a comparable success rate & justify the rebuilding cost. On a little off-topic tangent, I recently rescued a friend I met for the first time when she was delivering packages for DHL in 2004 from a terrible landlord. Since then, it's been starting to look like a lady I met for the first time a little too soon after Jan died for me to have been ready to ask her on a date back then might turn out to be a significant part of my future. In addition to needing a room to rent, she also needed a new job and has fit in perfectly for Clerical & Sales duties. About 6 months before we became housemates, we reconnected at a local music event upon her return home to Ohio after several years of living in New York, leading to our first date at a little diner after the concert. Both of us looking different in Feb of 2013 than we looked in Sep of 2004, it wasn't until the conversation turned to the subject of her time driving for DHL & my Vintage TV career that we realized we had already talked several times before as business associates. This photo was taken by the waitress when Rachelle & I had lunch after she returned from delivering a restored Zenith 27KC20 chassis to Brooklyn at the same diner where our first date had been exactly 8 months later.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg First Date Revisited.jpg (54.8 KB, 126 views)
Old 04-26-2014, 06:25 PM
SONY NUT

Added thought 8-301

Finally got mine working right after my spending 25 hours shop time and then over 800.00 at probably the best restoration shop in the Midwest. Sony called this their orphan child. I wonder why
ALSO HAS CRANKY AIBO
Audiokarma
Old 05-16-2014, 01:48 PM
SONY NUT

Additional 8-301 issues

Does anyone have the rear battery pack in poor condition and could part out the small pc board with banana male plugs on it to receive battery leads. I have retrofitted the pack with sealed np-4 batteries. When I was finishing up I made the mistake of moving this little board. It kinda shattered into 10 pieces. I've never seen a board break like that.
ALSO HAS CRANKY AIBO
Old 08-30-2015, 01:19 PM
SONY NUT

Thumbs down Need your opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I have two of these, one works and one doesn't....the working one has a complete snowy raster and audio, but I can't get a picture on it.....I haven't removed the back yet to see if it's something as stupid as a broken wire...yet. The other has better cosmetics, but I believe both of mine have all the knobs.

I believe I'll have a lot of parts left over when I merge the two into one. Whatever you want, it's yours . I can kinda put this on the front burner, as my CTC-38 is now all done.
I finally obtained a v. Good rear battery pack for Sony 8-301w. And, I pounced on a brand new sealed carton with replacement 6v cells. The owners tv was sold previously in an estate auction. The grand kids found backup battery stock and did not know what they had. When I broke the seal everything was intact including eye dropper, bottle for acid. I believe the batteries were never activated. So, if you were me, would you try to add acid activating the 55 yr old cells and actually power the set? Or would you sit on them as. Display piece?
ALSO HAS CRANKY AIBO
Old 08-30-2015, 01:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
I answered you question privately Dave, but would add if all goes well, your only going to get an hour and a half at best on each charge. Old technology, it won't hold up long like today's batteries.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:14 PM
M is for Memory

I'd leave the original cells stock. If it is feasible to remove the original cells from the pack and replace them with modern ones in an easily reversible way, then I'd go with that if I was in your shoes.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4