Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

1955 Hoffman Colorcaster on eBay

AK Member in No.Cal. selling this rare set
Here's the link:

1955 HOFFMAN 21" COLORCASTER, WORKING - eBay (item 120215421147 end time Feb-04-08 19:16:14 PST)
http://cgi.ebay.com/1955-HOFFMAN-21-...QQcmdZViewItem

-Steve D.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:56 AM
Mark

Wow! I wonder what shes going to end at? Think someone will buy it now?
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 01-26-2008, 06:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, that's my baby for sale, we'll see what happens. The really rare sets have dried up lately actually anything 50s color not turning up anymore for sale from estate sales. Steve d, good to hear from you, zenith fan, your zenith IS awesome, had same set in cheap particle board cabinet. Should of kept it as it had great picture and pretty much gave away set. Set is also my avatar pic.

I think the generation of people who orginally have owned these early color sets unfortunately are at the age they have already passed away.

ctc 5, 7, and ctc 9 about five years ago didn't make too much buzz-- now simply cant be found. New finds used to show up weekly or monthly. Most TV shops the type to work on just about anything you flipped on are long gone too. Other posts stated older sets sometimes found there in storage or as unclaimed/unpaid repairs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hoffman color bars.jpg (55.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Hoffman interior.jpg (108.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg hhffmn .1.jpg (59.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 01-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Steve D., if this was in LA we'd grab it! A beauty.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:18 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I'll bid on it as soon as I finish re-publishing all the photos on the main national database website... (just kidding)

Nice set! I've had two of those, but not the exact cabinet. Very good performers, and it is a Hoffman chassis; not a rebranded CTC-5 like many other mid-50s small mfr color sets were.

Charles
Old 01-26-2008, 12:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Good looking Color Bars from the replacement 21FJP22. I understand this has the bonded safety glass where the 21FBP22s I've got is the same CRT with a removable gasketted safety glass, right? Lotsa luck on the Ebay
Old 01-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Brach

Fabulous accomplishment!

You deserve much for what you have done.
Was that set originally to have a 21AXP22?
Why was the alternative yoke bracket not a copy of the original style?
Do you have any info on it's history? Who sold it, who bought it, etc.
Can it's origins be traced through the serial #?
I supect $4,000.00 is a very fair price.
Thank you very much.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Old 01-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Brach

hi vintagecollect

I am just starting to collect. The only sets I have that might be interesting to some would be ctc-15 with a new condition original crt with a few performance problems and a ctc-54 that needs a cap or two for a loud audio hum and a wide band in color that creeps up the picture even when the color is off. I will post pics when I get caught up a bit. I got them from a friend who was having some big problems and was about to discard both of them to the trash! I had this odd problem and I called him for the first time in like 5 years and found out that if I had called the next day they would have been gone. I believe him because I think he may be a bit nuts. Aren't we all?

I am sure I will continue this hobby because it just seems right to do it! Far be it from me to give some long-winded explanation as to why.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Notice To All

Audiokarma
Old 01-26-2008, 06:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brach View Post
I am just starting to collect. The only sets I have that might be interesting to some would be ctc-15 with a new condition original crt with a few performance problems and a ctc-54 that needs a cap or two for a loud audio hum and a wide band in color that creeps up the picture even when the color is off. I will post pics when I get caught up a bit. I got them from a friend who was having some big problems and was about to discard both of them to the trash! I had this odd problem and I called him for the first time in like 5 years and found out that if I had called the next day they would have been gone. I believe him because I think he may be a bit nuts. Aren't we all?

I am sure I will continue this hobby because it just seems right to do it! Far be it from me to give some long-winded explanation as to why.
On your CTC54, the first place I'd go would be to the electrolytic caps in the power supply.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Brach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecollect View Post
Said as a general comment to all, I certainly hope no one here is using AK created user profiles to skew auction results. Unknown persons suddenly entering into forums , not introducing themselves with a certain amount of knowledge on antique gear not readily known to general public yet using the guise of a new user is uncommon. It reflects BADLY on the hobby as a whole.

Why do I think you are referring to me? If you are you could not be more wrong. I want nothing from you or anybody else here other than the most basic level of respect and consideration that I expect all here intend to give.
As for skewing results... I'll have to ponder that awhile to figure that one out.
My first post was a PM to another AKer asking him if I could buy a small part I can certainly do without. He sounded like a great man I could appreciate if only to be able to speak to him or listem to him tell me anything he might be so generous to share. I did not ask him for any favors nor would I. He offered to send parts I did not ask for. I offered to pay whatever. Afterwards he has ignored my unrelated PM's of advice about a set he has. I'd like to think he was just to busy to respond but some that I have read here brings me to believe he has changed his mind or something. It's funny to think of him telling me about a TV hewanted badly that a fellow AKer agreed to sel him for $200.00 only to back out of the agreement later. He said the seller is an engineer and they are different or something like that. The man I am referring to is a great man and I take no offense from him either because I know he is simply mistaken about me or perhaps he is being mislead by others.

I got a solution! You should not give me anything I could possibly benefit from and tell all others to beware!

I am here to share and learn. Only time will prove you wrong. I just hope you are young enough to see me for who I actually am which is somebody that works very hard to do unto others as I wish them to do to me.
I understand you have a legitamate concern and I still love you just as much as I love every other person and animal and plant and bug and TV, etc.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:38 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brach View Post
Why do I think you are referring to me?
Welcome, and don't take it personally. He's just being very protective. I teased him earlier in the thread about his statement in his eBay ad prohibiting anyone from copying his pictures.

He's a good guy.

Charles
Old 01-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Brach

That's cool. I believe you. Thanks

I am learning here and I do agree he has a legitamate concern.

Maybe I'm too sensitive sometimes but I mostly wish to be properly understood.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Beautiful Hoffman Vintage! I could only dream about having something like this and am glad i at least got to see one of these in working condition. I too like hearing history on these whenever any information is available, sort of like what Doug and others do on their finds and restorations. I do understand your point though and why. I wish you the best of luck with your auction as its worth every penny and alot of work went into its preservation.
-Tony
Audiokarma