Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:17 PM
TV DXer...

Thanks for posting this! Because of this, I bought the DVD of the Frank/Bing show and while researching it I discovered that it wasn't a special but an

episode of Franks short-lived 1957 TV show:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050017/

Here's an article about the episode from 2002:

By Scott Huver, Hollywood.com Staff

For diehard fans of Frank Sinatra, it may be the ultimate Christmas present.
Earlier this year, the Chairman of the Board's daughter Nancy Sinatra made a
most welcome discovery among the dust-covered items in her father's still
uncatalogued archive: an extremely rare 35 mm print of a long-lost holiday
episode of the ambitious but failed 1957 ABC television series, The Frank
Sinatra Show. The episode, "Happy Holidays with Bing and Frank," teams Ol'
Blues Eyes with the popular crooner who preceded him in the public eye, Bing
Crosby.

The rest of the article (with an interesting explanation as to why it was filmed in color) can be found at this link:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...d6b95ac02f5e07
Old 12-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Gizmo Nut

Great set!!! I am on the hunt for a color roundie myself.
Dan
Old 12-30-2007, 01:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compucat View Post
The problem I have is that any attempt to film or photograph a color tv picture always turns out too blue.
Me too, for B/W as well as color.

When I was still using a 35mm film camera to take photos for my website, I got a blue filter to compensate for shooting under indoor lights using daylight (i.e., "outdoor") film. That worked for the overall picture. Maybe it would help the blue-screen problem, too.

Now most of us are using digital cameras, which may not accept filters or have appropriate color adjustments. It's worth poking around your camera's user guide, or experimenting with whatever settings it has, anyhow.

Oh -- and I just remembered that I have a powerful (250W) blue photographer's light bulb that gives the same effect indoors as using a blue filter. I haven't used it in ages because it throws off a fierce amount of heat and I don't have a good lighting stand for it.

If you bring your camera to a decent camera store and explain your goal, maybe they can fix you up with something.

For still pictures of B/W sets, in some cases I have said, "The heck with it," and just copied the screen portion of the digital photo, changed it to monochrome, then pasted it back into the photo. Maybe that's cheating, but the result looks like the TV set when you actually view it.

A similar trick is to put the camera on a tripod and take two photos -- one with the TV turned off, to get the right cabinet colors, and another with the TV turned on. Paste the screen shot into the cabinet photo, and voila!

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 12-30-2007, 09:24 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

With film, you had to get the white balance by trial and error with filters - but with a digital camera (or camcorder), you should be able to do it with the white balance setting of the camera. You need to find the menu where you point the camera at a white object and press a button to set that to white. Do this while the camera is pointed at the screen with a bright scene and the color turned all the way down. Preferable to have a DVD with a white test pattern playing.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

New youtube video added

I just added another youtube video of the 1965 Zenith roundie, Have a look: http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=nDOwKN3pS5Y
Been watching Lost in Space on it with my 8 year old son, He's hooked on the show. I suppose I should re-cap the set eventually, we're running it a few hours a day regularly now.
Jim
Old 01-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Mark

Great video! I can't wait 'till mines done. Best picture I've ever seen on an unrestored set!
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 01-18-2008, 12:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

My babysitter had a Zenith roundie very similar to that set when she kept me in the very early '80's. That set was still their daily watcher and I was all the time playing with the vertical hold, horizontal hold, etc. Her hubby would come home and turn on the TV just to find out I'd been messing with it. Needless to say, he got a little upset! I ran into her about 7 years ago and she said she had been holding on to that set for me all these years. Well, it's seven years later and it's still sitting at her house (I hope). I always hear "my house is a mess" when I offer to go get it. Or, it's "I'll get my son to bring it to you in his truck." I'm just afraid the dang thing will wind up getting dumped! I'd be really angry if that happens because that was the first TV that got my attention and it needs to be here, not hidden in her junk room! I told her once that I could care less what her house looks like, just please let me come get the TV! Her son called me a few weeks ago wanting me to fix a bigscreen. I told him to bring it AND the old Zenith over at the same time. Heck, the bigscreen repair may be very cheap if he has the Zenith with him! We'll see what happens, I guess.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:05 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

WOW! Those clips were great. It is just like watching my own Zenith. Roundies are a peephole into paradise.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cool videos, Lost in Space is one of my favorites for watching on a roundie too.

Last edited by Adam; 09-13-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:14 PM
AK Member

That looks like my first color set I acquired used around 1966 or 1967. Mine just had a metal cabinet and in 1970 i built it into the cabinet shown above. Wish i still had the tv. My parents had a Zenith roundie that was the first with all the controls below the picture tube. Never had as good of picture as my older set. Plus mine had the seperate tinted safety glass and their set had the etched safety glass bonded to the tube.
Audiokarma
Old 01-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Brach

That was very generous to put such a great thing up for all to see.

Many come very close but nobody will ever top the level of showmanship displayed by the great men shown on your cool as can be Zenith.
I love Dean Martin so much I almost feel kinda funny at times. I'd love to see that whole show.

Did anybody else think Jack Benny was likely to be giv'n the bird to Bob Hope to try to make him mess up? They were known for having such fun. When he opens the violin case his middle finger stays there kinda long.

I also love Jack Benny so much I almost feel kinda funny sometimes.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

"Get Smart"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcBiGttE_As