Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have an old Sony Handycam and tried to use it years ago to record some brief video clips of my restored TVs. The result had dark, slowly moving horizontal bars, which I attributed to different frame rates or suchlike.

Phil Nelson
Old 01-11-2012, 07:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've posted the pertinent part of the show at:

www.tech-retro.com/images/HPandNW.mp4

Darryl
Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Thank you for posting that, Darryl.

For others discussing recording from your computer, the program Harry described is going to save the video from within the computer itself, as you play the show in a window on the computer monitor. There is no pointing of a camera at the screen at all (even though the program name has the word "cam" in it).

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 01-11-2012, 08:30 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Well, that saves me some trouble. Thanks you, Darryl.

I don't know if it's just my computer, but it's having trouble playing the mp4 format very well. Click the link below, I encoded it to AVI format. It's half the size of the mp4, so it runs a little better.

http://miniman82.4t.com/images/proto...PandNW.mp4.AVI
Old 01-15-2012, 06:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I saw the show and knew it was you and HP. I haven't looked at this thread for a few months, so I came back just now to confirm that I was correct.

My son and I were watching it and I said the set and the back story seemed familiar. His response was, of course, "Dad, anything old with tubes in it looks familiar to you!".

Congrads on getting on TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Was watching TV the other day, and noticed A&E is advertizing the new 'Shipping Wars' show. This is the series that Roy told me was filming him at the time the set was delivered, so start setting your DVR's in case I appear on screen!

http://www.shippingwars.net/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV6CTqduv-I
Audiokarma
Old 01-28-2012, 08:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
I have an old Sony Handycam and tried to use it years ago to record some brief video clips of my restored TVs. The result had dark, slowly moving horizontal bars, which I attributed to different frame rates or suchlike.

Phil Nelson
I got a Panasonic prosumer camera, and can record CRT's just fine with it. I use a 1/60th shutter at 60 frames per second progressive, and adjust the iris for a good picture, and the result is an awesome screen grab.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've got a '99ish Handycam (NTSC) and regularly record screen shots off of CRT with it... The key, in my experience, is to adjust the exposure accordingly with program content. Also, focus is critical if you are doing 'experimentation'....the slightest focus adjustment in some cases makes all the difference---between perfection or total runaway-into-obliviion of your shot...
Old 01-29-2012, 12:50 AM

Update: I have been unable to get assistance with digitizing the schematic information I have on paper for this chassis, so Steve McVoy has graciously volunteered to step in and do the work. I'll be mailing him a manila envelope on Monday. I hope he can get things squared away with it, because it still doesn't make any sense to me. lol
Old 01-29-2012, 02:10 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Update: I have been unable to get assistance with digitizing the schematic information I have on paper for this chassis, so Steve McVoy has graciously volunteered to step in and do the work. I'll be mailing him a manila envelope on Monday. I hope he can get things squared away with it, because it still doesn't make any sense to me. lol
I didn't realize you were looking for help on scanning something - next time, ask me.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:02 PM

It's not scanning per se, what needs to happen is the information needs to be translated into a computerized schematic program. The symbols must be drawn, and all the wires connected. Some use a simple drawing program, but it's much easier if you have the right program like Steve does. Then is can be easily modified/emailed/reproduced as needed, and it will be a lot easier to read vice the 9 sheets of lined paper I have now.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:19 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
It's not scanning per se, what needs to happen is the information needs to be translated into a computerized schematic program. The symbols must be drawn, and all the wires connected. Some use a simple drawing program, but it's much easier if you have the right program like Steve does. Then is can be easily modified/emailed/reproduced as needed, and it will be a lot easier to read vice the 9 sheets of lined paper I have now.
Ah - gotcha. Thanks to Steve, then!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

As Nick mentioned earlier, he has sent me has hand drawn schematics and I'm cleaning them up and digitizing them. I am almost finished with the IF/sound sections, and have found what may be some evidence that the set is from RCA. There are 4 video IF stages, and they are very similar to the design in the CT-100, other than the fact that there are 5 stages in the CT-100. It is possible that RCA IF transformers were used by another manufacturer, too. I will be posting this part of the schematic soon.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Preliminary schematic for the IF and audio sections have been published:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/rca_color_prototype.html

In doing the IF circuits I compared them to the Sams folder for the 1952 RCA 21T176. The prototype set is almost identical, even the use of a choke in the filament line to isolate some of the IF stages. This indicates to me that the prototype was most likely made by RCA.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/image...Sams-157-8.pdf

Last edited by Steve McVoy; 02-02-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Much more has been learned about the RCA prototype color chassis. Here is the latest:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/rca_color_prototype.html
Old 02-11-2012, 05:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Forgive me if this has been covered already, but where did you ever end up finding this set? Gotta be one in a million. Or much more.
Audiokarma