Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:58 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet64 View Post
Does anyone remember when Philco started to include the "Tuning Eye" on their color sets. We had one on ours (not a roundie) I always thought it was very cool.

The Sams sheet (and sticker inside the set) list the tuning eye as a part, but they also note that they were not installed in all models. I suppose I could add one, but I'm not sure where it goes.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:58 PM

This stupid thing has the best convergence of any roundie I currently own, makes me want to go through the CTC-7 again.

Last edited by miniman82; 09-22-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

when you get a chance would you check a few things and let me know

HOT current

CRT HV

after running for say 30 min just a ruff idea of how hot the fly is

as in warm to touch, pretty hot, stone cold etc... or if you have an IR temp gun, say the temp at the top of the doughnut.

I ask since mine seems to be running a bit too warm. I am going to double check the HOT and KV tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

for comparison, 25kv 200ma brighness turned down all the way. Horz bias set too near min. FYI, could not get the KV lower than 25kv with min brightness.

Normal viewing has it bouncing around 220-240, kv jumps around a little in scene changes, but not too bad. No blooming or other issues.

I still have a soft focus. coil is turned all the way in, but that maybe due to some early work I was doing to it when I played with different focus coils, I plan to reinstall the old one. Right now in never goes thru a focus point just gets close until it bottoms out. All the way out is not better.

Last edited by DaveWM; 03-26-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:02 AM

Sounds like the VDR in yours has drifted or something, it's part of the feedback mechanism which regulates high voltage. Same principle as the circuit used in the Portapotty.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Sounds like the VDR in yours has drifted or something, it's part of the feedback mechanism which regulates high voltage. Same principle as the circuit used in the Portapotty.
Also Motorola's and some Admiral's. Did Philco use second anode voltage for the focus? If not, it might have a focus rectifier. No schematic handy!
Old 03-26-2011, 02:08 PM

The schematic I have shows a SS focus diode.

Edit: I can email you the schematic I have, a forum member sent it to me.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
for comparison, 25kv 200ma brighness turned down all the way. Horz bias set too near min. FYI, could not get the KV lower than 25kv with min brightness. Normal viewing has it bouncing around 220-240, kv jumps around a little in scene changes, but not too bad. No blooming or other issues.

I'm not currently able to read HV because I gave the meter back to Mark, but I just checked HOT current and grid voltage. I have spot on -60 VDC on the HOT grid just like Sams says, and I get anything from 210-240ma depending on picture content. Seems pretty normal to me.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

thats about the same current I I am getting.

one thing odd about mine, if I set the setup switch to serv, and adj the screen G2 for just being able to see the lines, I end up with a pretty dim pic(not bad just not as bright as some of my other roundies). I have a feeling the bias is off, I need to check the voltages at the cathodes.

I can of course increase the cathode bias to get a decently bright pic, but I have always read that is not the correct way to set it up, and that the bias pot should be fully CCW unless a gun can not produce a line, in which case you max that drive and then turn up the bias until it can produce a line.

IIRC my CRT tested fine, so I am back to thinking I must have something off in the overall bias of the CRT, esp considering I am at 25kv (even when fully loaded, it only drops a bit).
Old 03-26-2011, 11:13 PM

Here's what Sams says:

"Tune is a B&W picture or a color one with the color control at minimum. Set CRT bias and all screens to minimum, and put the switch into the service position. Advance screen controls one at a time, until each produces a barely visible line.

If one or more screen control fails to produce a line, leave that screen at max and advance CRT bias until a dim line appears. Then adjust the remining screens to match the brightness of that line. Put the switch back into the normal position. Adjust blue and green drives to eliminate coloring in high and lowlight areas."

FWIW mine seems to track perfectly, but the pots in this cheap chassis are horrible. In particular, the AGC pot is really bad. It causes the screen to flicker randomly, and the front panel pots could use a cleaning as well. Have you tried cleaning your pots yet?
Old 03-26-2011, 11:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
This stupid thing has the best convergence of any roundie I currently own, makes me want to go through the CTC-7 again.
Beautiful set! Is it acceptably safe for the fly that the horiz linearity is off a bit? Looks like the right side is very slightly more narrow. I have thought that imperfect horiz width and or linearity indicates a potential problem to make the fly temp hotter.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

yea I think I am getting close to the issue on my setup, see my post in the noisey pic thread. pretty sure it is cathode voltage issue from the video out tube (plate V to high, look like the video out 12GN7 tube cathode bias resistor/pot drifted up, causeing the tube to not conduct enough, resulting in the high plate voltage).

Yes I did clean front panel control pots, but for the IF trim pot on the video board (missed that one), and yes I agree the pots on the back are cheap a$$ stuff.

I am pretty sure this last resistor (the R61 100 ohm on the bottom of the brightness control) is going to be the one that fixes my dim pic. I did check the cathode bypass cap, its ok, so that being ok and the resistance check of pin 1 of the 12GN7 (like 500 ohms was the MIN I could get, should have been 100 with the pot cranked fully towards ground) I think I got it.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB5pro View Post
Beautiful set! Is it acceptably safe for the fly that the horiz linearity is off a bit? Looks like the right side is very slightly more narrow.
I don't see anything wrong with the linearity on this set, it looks exactly the same on my HD set. It was slightly off-center in the pic though, I recentered it since then.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
pretty sure it is cathode voltage issue from the video out tube. plate V is to high, looks like the video out 12GN7 tube cathode bias resistor/pot drifted up, causing the tube to not conduct enough, resulting in the high plate voltage.

That's a possibility, high plate voltage on the video tube (presumably from being more cut off than it should be) would also result in higher CRT cathode voltage, which would in turn cut the CRT off more. Worth looking into, IMO.

Quote:
I agree the pots on the back are cheap a$$ stuff.

Sure are!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

6GH8's will replase 6U8's in many applications. 6U8's replace 6GH8's in very few.
Doogie
Audiokarma