Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks to all of you who have offered up your advice. I have no prior knowledge in TV restoration. I am currently awaiting copy of the factory service manual for my set. Couple years ago I did test all the tubes except the picture and they were all fine. It prob as you have said capacitor failure my immediate problem. This set has never left my house since bein delivered in 1951 and in heated storage since then .I prob will be in contact with some you once I get the manual. Again thx n was hoping id fine one of you highly skilled technicians near me in the Chicago area
Old 12-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Workin' Late Again

Wow, original owner since 1951, and you're looking to get it going again. We just don't run across that situation around here everyday. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavors.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

that is great that you have it since new , if you were to read up on some of the methods on the internet about how to restore electronics I think you could replace the capacitors and electrolytic capacitors and try the set ( I don't know the links to these pages but they are out there ) , maybe that's all it will need , of course tubes are something to look into too , a tube or two could knock the set out but considering the age of the set I'd think the capacitors are a big factor.
it is too bad there isn't someone who could volunteer close to you that could get it running for you , if you have to do it yourself just take your time and slowly one by one replace capacitors with the same values, if you have an old radio or could get one that would be the best way to teach yourself how to do capacitors , most are much easier then a tv
mike