Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:05 AM
Administrator

Watching The Outer Limits on a Predicta.

Had an impulse to watch this show on a vintage set the other night and after trying a couple 60's era RCA portables with less than satisfactory results (the 1960 set had bad cabinet vibrations with the sound up, the later 60's set lost sync after 15 minutes) so I hooked up the Predicta Pedestal.

It worked pretty well, though the greenish screen cover detracts from the picture quality somewhat, it also had some buzz in the sound and some vertical linearity issues but not intolerable.
I have since installed a new Vert osc/output tube and adjusted the height, linearity and centering, I also tweaked the Buzz control on the PC board and got rid of it completely, now it's quite pleasant to watch, it's perfectly stable even after running for an hour, it has been completely recapped of course.

The Outer Limits is on DVD and note what image they used for the Menu, it's a Predicta screen!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg predicta-outer-limits.jpg (40.9 KB, 111 views)
Old 11-29-2013, 08:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Keeper of the Purple Twilight! That was the last episode (years ago) that I needed to complete my collection.
The Zanti Misfits scared me stupid as a child!
Old 12-04-2013, 05:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Watching "Outer Limits" or "The Twilight Zone" on a Predicta is like seeing them for the first time.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Awesome. The only DVD's I still can't find, after a move, is my three Outer Limits ones. I know there hiding someplace because they were one of the last things we watched before packing the last of the stuff up.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:17 AM
Administrator

After fixing the linearity issue and the buzz in the sound I watched another episode tonight, much more enjoyable without those flaws.

The only other problem is the green tint the screen has, darn near olive green, I can't believe it was that way originally and it seriously muddies up the image, I think they must discolor after 56 years or perhaps it was exposed to a lot of sunlight.
I've seen this set operate without the cover and it looks 200% better.

I have a non functional Holiday and looking at it closely with a bright light it's looks considerably less green, I think I'll polish it up and swap it, I hate putting them back together though, especially that gold band, ugh.
Audiokarma
Old 12-05-2013, 07:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Re: gold band Predicta. A tip someone passed my way is to hook both ends of the band at the same time. Then much easier to work the band up and over the lens.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

That is just SO Kewl !