Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-26-2022, 07:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Toshiba DX 7 & Panasonic pv 1461

Hi
I just got two 80s vcrs the other day on Facebook a Toshiba dx7 & Panasonic pv 1461 both with remotes

The toshiba needed a belt and it's working but the vu meter is not. I tried a few of the switches on the front but it doesn't light up.

The Panasonic when I first plugged it in the clock did not come on then a few seconds later it did and it would not play a tape. But I had it outside in my garage when I bought it in my basement and tried it last night it worked fine. Maybe it needs new caps. Or maybe it was cold

I cant find too much online about them but I know the Panasonic is from 1986 & I think the Toshiba is also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221122_004925.jpg (57.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20221126_194544.jpg (27.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20221126_125720.jpg (113.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20221124_014959.jpg (67.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20221124_014832.jpg (85.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-26-2022, 08:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Moisture could have been the problem. Some of the first had a port you could blow warm air in. Some type of moisture sensor to block running a tape and having damage to tape and head. I would not worry at this point.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm83 View Post
Hi
I just got two 80s vcrs the other day on Facebook a Toshiba dx7 & Panasonic pv 1461 both with remotes

The toshiba needed a belt and it's working but the vu meter is not. I tried a few of the switches on the front but it doesn't light up.

The Panasonic when I first plugged it in the clock did not come on then a few seconds later it did and it would not play a tape. But I had it outside in my garage when I bought it in my basement and tried it last night it worked fine. Maybe it needs new caps. Or maybe it was cold

I cant find too much online about them but I know the Panasonic is from 1986 & I think the Toshiba is also.
If you decide to use both daily, the Toshiba will outlast the Panasonic. The Panasonic has several weak or bad capacitors in the power supply, with very-limited life left (probably no more than 1 year). Shortly, then you realize the Panasonic has snowy picture from video head.

In my over 20+ years of repair experience, a Toshiba product that says Made in Japan in the back always outlasts Panasonic Made in Japan over 90% of the time. But, when Toshiba closed their manufacturing doors, and the new Toshiba product is outsourced, then Panasonic wins for reliability that is not Made in Japan.

Last edited by waltchan; 11-28-2022 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-27-2022, 10:39 PM
15.7Khz squeal with joy

Not playing a tape could be the moisture sensor, though if I recall the Panasonic models would show DEW on the display when this happened.

I think it's more likely the capacitors in the power supply. As waltchan has suggested, these era Panasonics are troublesome. I have a PV-4760 that had the power supply caps leak as I powered it on to test it. Upon recapping I learned that one of the heads was worn out - another common problem on these.
Old 11-28-2022, 03:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

I had a PV-4760 about 12 yrs ago bought at goodwill worked for awhile then the same thing happened to it but at the time I couldn't repair it & I couldn't figure out how to get the power supply out. but since then I've gotten better at repairing things

the pv 1461 I tried it again today and it acted kind of weird when first powering it on
I'm going to change the caps tomorrow.

also would anyone know why the level meters are not working on the Toshiba?
Audiokarma
Old 11-28-2022, 06:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by probnot View Post
Not playing a tape could be the moisture sensor, though if I recall the Panasonic models would show DEW on the display when this happened.

I think it's more likely the capacitors in the power supply. As waltchan has suggested, these era Panasonics are troublesome. I have a PV-4760 that had the power supply caps leak as I powered it on to test it. Upon recapping I learned that one of the heads was worn out - another common problem on these.
An activated dew sensor on a panasonic may indicate dew on its display along with the drum motor spinning on its own until the dew issue has dried out.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

djski is right. My Panasonic-made Blaupunkt VCR from 1986 shows a flashing "d" on the display and the head drum spins on its own until the moisture has dried out. During that time you aren't allowed to insert a tape, let alone play it.
Old 11-28-2022, 02:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by probnot View Post
As waltchan has suggested, these era Panasonics are troublesome. I have a PV-4760 that had the power supply caps leak as I powered it on to test it. Upon recapping I learned that one of the heads was worn out - another common problem on these.
The Panasonics (called MBK-36 from Studio Sound) are troublesome only if you use it daily for more than 10 years, with lots of worn-out part inside that could show multiple problems at once. Total amount of repairs usually cost more than replacing it with a new unit. Otherwise, they are fairly trouble-free with decent original belts, as long as they are not exposed into a high-heat or poor ventilation environment.

When they were brand-new and fresh out from the retail-box before, all Matsushita-made VCRs were rated #1 in reliability by Consumer Reports for the first 5 years of use only. Of course, the power supply always works trouble-free for the first 5 years until the capacitors dried up from heat. The only way to fix this, blow a cooling fan into the power supply directly, and then it easily lasts 3 times longer.

The most-reliable Panasonic VCRs ever made in history are the ones made in 1997-1999 (MBK-106), based on feedbacks from customers telling me all the time. The older one, forget it. Panasonic, along with Hitachi, is one of the few brands that the older VCRs are not more reliable than the new ones.

Last edited by waltchan; 11-29-2022 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:09 AM
15.7Khz squeal with joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
When they were brand-new and fresh out from the retail-box before, all Matsushita-made VCRs were rated #1 in reliability by Consumer Reports for the first 5 years of use only. Of course, the power supply always works trouble-free for the first 5 years until the capacitors dried up from heat. The only way to fix this, blow a cooling fan into the power supply directly, and then it easily lasts 3 times longer.
It's funny how time changes things like that. Issues on machines once though to be the most reliable creep up 10,20,30 years later. Whereas the surviving "cheap" models of the same time period keep on chugging along.