Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
But, but, but... LEDs are supposed to last forever, aren't they? They told us we will never have to replace them. They told us they are the wonderful, magic, perfect, green solution that will save the planet and cure all the ills of the world.

Seriously, though, I have observed the exact same thing. I've also noticed their brightness fade over time.

In my house, I joke that we have a reverse incandescent light bulb ban -- anything that ISN'T incandescent is forbidden.
We are 95% incandescent, just got in some 75's & 150's.
Only others are 2 spotlights & a few pigtails in closets. Its to us
an expression of freedom & protest. Just like guns & big cars.
Even if not forced I would have them anyways.

73 Zeno
Old 05-25-2016, 05:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
That's not an issue for LG's system because instead of red green and blue OLEDs, they use white OLEDs with color filters. It's less efficient, but since it's the same OLED material for all three colors, they age uniformly.

They are still expensive, but the price is dropping quickly, and they've finally started to sell flat ones in a normal form factor that can be wall mounted. I hope they eventually start selling smaller TVs and computer monitors. Ultimately, they should be cheaper to make than an LCD if they can work out the manufacturing problems.

Samsung made an OLED TV that had RGB OLEDs, but it was only on the market for a short time. I'm not sure how they have aged.
So what is the projected life of the LG white OLED material... anybody here seen any data?

jr
Old 05-25-2016, 05:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
So what is the projected life of the LG white OLED material... anybody here seen any data?

jr
The lifespan of rgb OLED material has currently been extended to 45K hours to half life. That translates to a lifetime of over 10 years if a television were viewed 12 hours a day. Prototype green OLED has been extended to 198K hours to half life and blue 68K hours to half life.

As previously mentioned, LG uses white OLED with rgb filters. That should eliminate the low efficiency of others OLED colors, which is now almost a moot point. I have not found specific data on the life of LG's white OLED material.

The main problem now being worked on is how to improve the brightness of OLED to allow OLED to display HDR (high dynamic range) for the new 4K spec. Currently LCD still excels in brightness because it is non-emissive and the LED backlighting can be driven to higher levels. OLED is emissive and creates its own light without the need for backlighting. An individual OLED pixel can be turned on and off 100% allowing "infinite" contrast.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

andy, etype2...
Thanks for the good info, can't wait, prices are dropping and I still think that I would enjoy a curved screen, if availabe when I decide to buy. (Advent nostalga).

jr
Audiokarma
Old 06-08-2016, 09:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Just saw this this morning from FLATPANELHD blog. The Vice President of LG citation.

"Ever since OLED was a research project, the lifespan of the organic material has been debated. There is no reason to worry, says LG. The latest generation of OLED TVs now has a lifespan of 100,000 hours, according to a report by Korea Times.

OLED lifespan has tripled
Ever since Kodak started working on OLED in the 70’s, longevity has been a topic. The organic material inside the pixels that helps create light and colors decays over time.

LG is the only manufacturer capable of mass-producing OLED TVs and since the company launched the first OLED TVs it has used a special type of white OLED sub-pixels that passes light through filters. The company has repeatedly said that this method can lower production costs and increase longevity. We now have some numbers.

- "When we first started manufacturing OLED TVs in 2013, their lifespan was some 36,000 hours," said Lee Byung-chul, Vice president for LG Electronics to Korea Times and continued; "technological development has extended it to 100,000 hours now. This is equal to 30 years, if a user watches our OLED TV for 10 hours a day."

A lifespan of 100,000 hours, if correct, appears to refute the rumors that especially LG’s local neighbor likes to spread. Samsung has reportedly given up on mass-producing OLED TVs and has cited longevity as one of the reasons. Samsung will instead focus on so-called QLED TVs.

For comparison the half-life for the backlight in LCD TVs is typically rated at around 60-70,000 hours. However, most often components fail before the backlight dies out."
Read more at http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post
A lifespan of 100,000 hours, if correct, appears to refute the rumors that especially LG’s local neighbor likes to spread. Samsung has reportedly given up on mass-producing OLED TVs and has cited longevity as one of the reasons. Samsung will instead focus on so-called QLED TVs.
Wondering if LG has some patented processes or materials that give them an advantage in OLED production.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
I've never seen a CRT with a picture anywhere near as good as my Panasonic plasma in 1080p. NTSC was nicknamed Never The Same Color for a reason, and CRT geometry is especially bad compared to any flat panel. I like old TVs as much as anyone here but I can't support any argument that says a good CRT has a better picture than a good flat panel. Only possible exception being last gasp 16x9 HDTV crt's, but those are rare and really heavy!
NTSC = Never Twice the Same Color
Old 07-29-2016, 03:37 AM
I need more vintage!!

What I'd really like to know is people's opinions on OLED TV's vs. CRT TV's. I'm really amazed by the picture quality of OLED display technology.
Audiokarma
Old 07-29-2016, 06:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here in England the advantage of flat screen TV's over CTR ones is the lack of flicker, the 50 hertz frame flicker is very noticeable when I see the odd CRT sets running (getting vary rare nowadays) of course no flicker with flat with flat screens. I don't remember the 60 hertz CRT TV's flickering like they do/did here when I was in the USA & Bahama's. My Canadian cousin moaned about the 50 hertz flicker every time he came to visit..
Old 07-30-2016, 03:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:30 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

I hope someday they make an OLED TV under 50" diag. 46" wound be perfect for the size of my living room. Eventually my Sony 40" LCD 2008 mfg with nearly 50,000 hours on it is going to bite the dust. I'd like to replace it with OLED.
Maybe they will someday, when the manufacturing costs come down like LCDs have done.

I do have a 25" Sony CRT set in the bedroom I use nightly, and to remember the "olden" days. 1995 mfg. Get far enough away from it so the scan lines aren't visible and it looks great!

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 07-30-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:38 AM
Restoring an admiral c322

My pioneer elite plasma absolutely blows any crt out of the water. Sure CRT's are nice and all, deeper colors and better reliability, but I've never seen anything more clear, crisp and colorful than my pioneer elite. These were about $10,000 back when they were new, plasma TV was a luxury then. I've just recently had to replace a board (due to a power surge 6 years after it was bought. Most LED sets last at least 2 years and aren't as colorful, clear and reliable as my roundie sets.

Admiral C322C2 Regent (Restoring)
RCA CTC-7 Pensbury (Restored)
RCA CTC-5 Westcott (Restored)
CRA CTC--4 Director 21 (Restoring)
Old 08-02-2016, 10:05 AM
M is for Memory

Plasma is as close to a thin CRT functionality wise as you can get so it makes sense that it can rival it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma