Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

ok, i am a little confused, i thought if you took lets say two 40uf at 450v caps and wired them up in Parrallel you would get an 80uf at 450v. If you took two 40uf at 450v and wired them up in series would get a 20uf at 450v.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:19 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Chad's right... Think of them as batteries (and actually they are just fast-charging batteries if we think about it). Put two 1.5-volt batteries in series, you get 3 volts at a reduced current supply. If you put two 1.5-volt batteries in parallel, you get 1.5 volts at double the current supply. (Not trying to play engineer, and I can't recite the laws about it)

Charles
Old 06-06-2006, 12:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

when the two 40 uf capa in series, its 20 uf at 900 v since total voltage is divided among both caps. Talk to an older tv tec for more info chad.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I knew there was some way with a series circuit but didn't want to do the math myself! Since it worked for you I'll give it a try. That is on a nice prewar National which was working with the original caps but with just a little too much hum.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:52 PM
AK Member

Chad,

That was actually quite interesting, Thanks.

When I was replacing a tube socket in my zenith AM/FM radio, a solder blob was on the pins of the 12BE6 that I never noticed. I turned it on and it lit up like a light bulb. :P I checked the filament resistance and it measured fine, infact it completes the circuit in the filament string, but it doesn't get hot at all when I turn it on. It drops enough voltage for the string, but doesn't light up and get hot at all. Think this could be the same think thats happening to my video amp tube in my CTC9?

Thanks.

Jonathan
Audiokarma