Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA Selectavision...convertible?

I was given a color Newvicon camera with its matching RCA portable VHS deck and tuner. Camera works fine (that ultrasonic rangefinder for focus is hilarious) when I power it from another source and I can set the clock on the tuner but I can't get the actual tuner to turn on, the VHS deck to do ANYTHING at all (and yes, I'm aware it needs belts and a really heavy cleaning) and the camera isn't getting power from the deck no matter what I try. The other thing is that aside from "Selectavision Video Cassette Recorder" printed on the top of the VHS unit the model plates on both the tape deck and tuner have either fallen off or were pried off. I've googled about and I'm seeing a few variants but not this exact model aside from two or three undescriptive and long ended ebay listings.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wow thats a classic setup.To me it looks like a Matsushita/Panasonic clone or a Hitachi clone made VCR and Tuner.I could be wrong since it was 30 plus years ago when these came out..Camera is more likely a Panasonic clone since its using a Newvicon tube patented and made by Matsushita.

I think I have a similar setup here somewhere.

The battery is more likely shot.I would check the caps and for burnt parts and bad fuses in the tuner and the VCR power supplies.

I'm wondering how crisp is the image on the camera and any burn marks on the pickup tube from aiming it at bright lights.

I found this with Google image search using "rca portable vcr and tuner"
in the image search.

http://blog.cyborg5.com/?p=87

Your could be the RCA VFP-170 setup if I read the article right.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

I do believe that's a VGP170 portable VCR with the TFP1500 tuner. Made by Hitachi.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
The battery is more likely shot.I would check the caps and for burnt parts and bad fuses in the tuner and the VCR power supplies.
Yeah I attached the battery to an external charger and it's totally dead. Good thing I can find substitutes though so I should be able to replace it. I have to pull the VCR apart anyways for a really good cleaning. Lots of fuzzies got inside from a cracked lid but the heads seem to be in good shape.

Quote:
I'm wondering how crisp is the image on the camera and any burn marks on the pickup tube from aiming it at bright lights.
Tube is in great shape. No signs of image burn.

Quote:
I do believe that's a VGP170 portable VCR with the TFP1500 tuner. Made by Hitachi.
Aha! That seems to bring up a few more valid results. Thank you. I got two other cameras who use this dumb EIAJ connector so I'll keep working on trying to get the VHS unit at least working. I tried powering it with 12V from the bench and current limiting immediately kicked in so something inside is definitely not happy.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is NOT really what RCA called a "convertible "VCR. That title meant a VCR that DOCKS wiht the tuner--and then looks a LOT like a normal VCR. They even made one with a FRONT LOAD design--their LAST One--before they went to only camcorders. I have a couple of the convertible ones--a VKT/P 950 and a VLT 970 or such. BOTH of then dock with the tuner in a sort of "cradle" that the VCR part sits on. NO cables are needed--it "plugs in".
Audiokarma
Old 11-01-2015, 10:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Yeah I attached the battery to an external charger and it's totally dead. Good thing I can find substitutes though so I should be able to replace it. I have to pull the VCR apart anyways for a really good cleaning. Lots of fuzzies got inside from a cracked lid but the heads seem to be in good shape.

Aha! That seems to bring up a few more valid results. Thank you. I got two other cameras who use this dumb EIAJ connector so I'll keep working on trying to get the VHS unit at least working. I tried powering it with 12V from the bench and current limiting immediately kicked in so something inside is definitely not happy.
NOT sure if this VCR will work at ALL...wiht a totally dead battery. I KNOW some will not do so.

You COULD try and "shock" the battery back to life, if it is a 12 volt battery--you will need at least 18 volts to do so. SOMETIMES>..this will work, at least a BIT...maybe enough to "see what you have". But--if at 18-20 or more volts on the battery it does NOT draw any current...it is DONE.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
NOT sure if this VCR will work at ALL...wiht a totally dead battery. I KNOW some will not do so.
I was curious about that as well, hence why I tried to feed 12V in using my DC bench supply. Got up to about 2v before the current draw raced off and overdraw protection engaged. The PSU needs a good inspection.

The battery doesn't draw any current at charge, nor does it hold a voltage. A new battery is $20 so I'll just go that route.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Will work fine without the battery, if it works at all. Most of those I worked on didn't come in with a battery in them and if it did I would tell customers to remove the battery when not using so it, after charging it up, so it wouldn't expand and get stuck or leak.

(The Panasonic batteries that slid in to the side were terrible about expanding and getting stuck).
Old 11-02-2015, 10:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've seen the cradle design, but never with a front loading machine. I didn't know front loading portables existed.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post

Nice closeup on the viewfinder.That old Newvicon look great to me.So the fuse is still good with your test .Something in the onboard power supply is loading it down .Bad cap or semiconductor. As I remember .Those portables have a low voltage shutdown circuits in them.If the voltage goes down to a certain level like 11v or below on a 12volt battery .The VCR will shut it self off .
Audiokarma
Old 01-13-2016, 07:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

The local second hand store had not one but TWO more of the "portable" sets for $10 each. I grabbed the better of the two (the eject lever was not broken and the tuner had its front cover) and brought it home.

This one has a slightly smaller tuner with a different control arrangement and less channels. The VHS deck is seemingly identical to the one I already have besides the top is silver, no record lock and the remote jack is on the front.
Swapping units around found that nothing at all works until the power button on the VCR is pressed so I'll be verifying that the button and circuit on my first deck isn't faulty.
In the meantime I also found a Panasonic PK-958 so now both units have a color Newvicon camera to go with them.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice found. The convertible you picked up is older than the one on the lift, it actually used a very good wired remote control that allowed full access to all the VCR's features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
This is NOT really what RCA called a "convertible "VCR.
RCA did called these VCR's “convertible”, the word was used repeatedly in this commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1h_OYx75rQ
Old 01-14-2016, 02:36 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Very pretty looking!!!

Good luck with her buddy