Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:51 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76
Who uses rewinders instead of the VCR itself.
I used one one time..... The blasted thing DIDNT SLOW DOWN!!!!!! (Slammed tha tape @ the beggining -- NOT GOOD @ ALL!!!!!!!)
Old 12-24-2015, 10:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Mine don't spin fast enough to "slam". Pretty slow really. Never had a problem.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:13 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Ya the one I used was pretty fast.......
Old 12-27-2015, 03:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

After rewinding maybe 10 movies with these things, I just decided to put them up. Too slow to sit there and wait on. I'd rather just rewind with the VCR like I always have. It's not like I'm gonna cry if my JVC HR S3800U drops out on me. I've probably got 300,000 miles on her anyway.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I got a couple here but they are not the greatest.I just rewind them on an old machine that does not wrap the tape on the heads as it rewinds.
Audiokarma
Old 12-28-2015, 12:30 AM
Banned

That's the thing with most VHS VCRs when you were rewinding the tape the tape was never in contact with any of the heads or capstans when they rewinded so there really wasn't anything to get worn out on them when you were rewinding tapes in them which is why I see that those VHS rewinders as a waste of money. Now I can see a Betamax VCR needing one because most Betmax VCRs did actually have the tape in full contact with the heads and other critical parts when you were rewinding tapes in them, which would result in more wear and tear to the machine, but VHS didn't ever have any mechanisms that actually left the tape in full contact with the heads and capstans and other critical parts of the machine that would result in excessive wear and tear on the machine when a tape was rewound in the machine itself.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

That was the thing back in the 90's. Used to hear people saying if you don't use a rewinder, your vcr will wear out. Never bothered as I never had a problem with it. Always just seemed easier to leave it in there and just let it rewind. Most of them go into rewind anyway when they hit the end.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76 View Post
That was the thing back in the 90's. Used to hear people saying if you don't use a rewinder, your vcr will wear out. Never bothered as I never had a problem with it. Always just seemed easier to leave it in there and just let it rewind. Most of them go into rewind anyway when they hit the end.
That's the way it was with my parents VCR once it hit the end of the tape it would automatically rewind so we didn't think anything of it. my parents VCR (their first one anyways which was a belated wedding gift for them from my grandmother was a 1990 vintage Goldstar made Zenith VRG75 2 head mono VCR and it got used quite a bit before it was decommissioned and replaced with a Zenith 4-Head Hi-Fi VCR that my parents bought in 1996 along with a Zenith 19" TV (they were both bought from Elder-Beerman's). the Zenith VRG75 was then used in the basement with my Dad's 1985 Vintage Zenith Space Command TV (which both failed around the same time, my dad's Zenith Space Command TV had a failing picture tube as the picture on it was getting pretty dim and the colors were getting really dull looking and I was trying to fix it the best I could but it just wouldn't work so it went to the recyclers, the VCR had a failed chroma board I think is what it was, it was the removeable board assembly that sat behind the head assembly and when I tried to fix it some traces lifted on it so I tried going to a local repair place to see if they had any spare parts laying around and they just told me that they didn't have the part I was looking for and it wasn't worth fixing even if they did have the part laying around, so then that went to the recycler as well.)