Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-14-2005, 09:06 PM
AK Member

$1,195 Predicta?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TANDEM-BLOND-Pre...QQcmdZViewItem

Has this guy lost his marbles or what? I'm not one for Predictas anyway, but if I were, is that price just way off the wall?

It irks me how some guy on ebay sell a "restored" set for so much. Most of the time, parts are cheap. Cabinets can easily be cleaned, redone, and repaired. I'd say mosy people who sell these restored sets just recap and it works, possibly changing a resistor or tube here and there, maybe doing an alignment.

Personally, I don't why anyone would sell a restored set on ebay unless it needs to go. If you are buying a restored set that really isn't a collectible, what fun is it? I personally like the sets in crappy condition, because I can have fun restoring them and keep them in my collection.

Jonathan
Old 08-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Uhh, yeah, I MIGHT give 1200 for that rare, NIB, experimental color predicta, but just a run-o-the-mill one ? No way, Jose...And yes, I know there were no color Predictas made-Helluva shame, too.-Sandy G.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

LIke it or not, $1200-1500 is what a Tandem Predicta generally sells for.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

A 5 year warranty-thats probably 4 years longer-or more-than Philco ever covered it for! This set is being marketed to the deep pockets who really want a working Predicta, & a fairly nice one at that. No, I wouldn't pay anywhere near that, though I would go higher than I usually do on old sets since this is sort of an investment.

Like Jonathan, I prefer to find sets that need work. Kinda takes the fun out of it to just bring home an old set, plug & play. As long as the repairs don't require too deep a diagnosis, bring them on!
Old 08-15-2005, 09:10 AM
Administrator

I got $1,350 for my regular barber pole in outstanding shape but NOT working a couple years back.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:37 AM
DTV blows

I know jack$hit about old televisions, but is that shipping price out of line as well?
Tom
Old 08-15-2005, 08:56 PM
AK Member

I honestly never took into account that it was a Tandem Predicta. Because of the manufacture date and other factors, I see how it can cost so much. I still don't care much for the Predictas. I like the wooden cabinets used in prewar and early post war sets. I guess that's why I have a 630TS and two 630TS clones.

Jonathan
Old 08-16-2005, 06:30 AM
Administrator

I had as many as 6 Predictas at once. Only ever had one working, and I ended up putting far more money into that than it would have ever been worth.....a 21" Holiday.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Not much interest in this one as final price was low, some other Predictas usually go fairly high in restored condition. This set turns up regularly on the bay -maybe had affect on price due to reserve?? Shipping on this set must be a killer alone as two units!!

Old 08-18-2005, 06:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

What repairs had to done to Holiday to make it work??? I passed one of these up at antique store several years ago as price was unrealistic- I guess for the better. The Barber Poles never really turn up that much, definitely coooolest design of the Predictas.

Last edited by vintagecollect; 08-18-2005 at 06:32 AM.
Audiokarma